country house

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

3d

country house

Post by 3d » 23 Sep 2016, 20:06

... honestly after the hate .. & as a long time kinks fan.. i think this is a pretty special song.. playfully presented along with much of tge .. i don't feel embarrassment for this song.. i feel the same about a lot of blur's "regrets" - hype & media negativity dragging down good things in life.. i love the serious, the unstably fucked-upness & the sillyness (ong ong) -- what a charming band x

Pavlich

Re: country house

Post by Pavlich » 24 Sep 2016, 01:49

I've always liked Country House, never felt the shame or cringe but then again I was a toddler in Australia when it had his cultural smack.

I think it's pretty fun, fits well into the era's aesthetic, has some of their finest use of trumpet (and who can dislike trumpet?), and some of the lyrics are pretty decent while the cynical, bitter theme of the song is actually pretty cool and something I always liked. It's catchy and the video is pretty pointless but still nice enough looking and better than a lot of their awful 90s clips (ie everything on self-titled and Leisure...)

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 24 Sep 2016, 03:03

it's a good song. the video is embarassing though, their worst
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 24 Sep 2016, 05:49

I never hated the song, but didn't like it much either. The way it starts is awfully loud on the album.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

bugman

Post by bugman » 24 Sep 2016, 08:11

metalhipslop wrote:it's a good song. the video is embarassing though, their worst
erm no. no distance.... what a lazy, boring clip

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Sep 2016, 12:52

I don't hate the song either. I think it rankles with fans a bit because it's one of THE totemic Blur tracks that everyone with even the most cursory of knowledge of pop music will know, and yet it's not exactly their best work, is it? But put all that to one side, and it's a fun track. Especially in a field, with thousands of others with a beer in your hand. I agree the video is pretty ropey but there you go.

By the way, I don't agree on No Distance... I thought that video was rather charming.

3d

Post by 3d » 24 Sep 2016, 22:54

just watching charmless man video.. it's funny.. for a catchy "pop" tune the guitars have always been obscure & beautiful.. that's the beauty of blur.. you can re-visit so many eras.. there's so much depth.. videos are meant to entertain I guess & i feel for them being directed especially if they're uncomfortable about acting etc.. music is different from performing.. i like to sing & record ideas but i literally can't do it knowing people are listening... last year a went against the grain & had to perform teaching kindergarten in China which ended up with my first "gig" performing on stage in a theater (no beer or pre-gig diazepam... not that i would.. but it took the zen of me to reach inside & get through it)

with this band everything is covered either together or solo... pretty much all genres.. hip hop.. folk.. white noise ... lullabies...

it was nice to hear caravan played last year.. would loved to have heard ambulance with graham playing sax / mid swap for shin ei + rat

since I was 12 this band has kept my interest.. much love ♡.. anyways.. ♡ new chapters always welcome ♡

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 25 Sep 2016, 16:59

One of my favorites actually. Regardless of the circus involved, it's a great happy fun song.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 25 Sep 2016, 17:10

I like the song, not my favourite but yes, is ok, specially live is always a huge party..

Liese

Post by Liese » 27 Sep 2016, 12:20

It was the song which got me into blur (I was only 12 then, so hey), so I'd never say a bad word about it.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 27 Sep 2016, 12:47

Liese wrote:It was the song which got me into blur (I was only 12 then, so hey), so I'd never say a bad word about it.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 28 Sep 2016, 00:42

was a fun song when i was a 10 yr old, tho even then, to be completely honest i found the bside (one born every minute) to be the more enjoyable song on that cassette [same with stereotypes actually]. the 1st single i bought, but my musical taste had barely begun forming

the verses are actually pretty good, but the big knees up chorus is utterly dreadful

its not a grating as stereotypes, or as cringy as charmless man, or as downright awful as TOPMAN but its one of the lesser tracks from blur's 2nd worst album.

i actually think the video is very fun, and probably the songs saving grace

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Sep 2016, 06:17

Pavlich wrote:I think it's pretty fun, fits well into the era's aesthetic
101reykjavik wrote: I think it rankles with fans a bit because it's one of THE totemic Blur tracks that everyone with even the most cursory of knowledge of pop music will know.... But put all that to one side, and it's a fun track. Especially in a field, with thousands of others with a beer in your hand
The above points sum up 'Country House' very well. It is one of the most memorable songs of its period.

It was aimed at the dedicated Blur fans and the casual audience. And it did just that. :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 04 Oct 2016, 08:05

I've always thought there's a sliver of genius in its composition. At the end, the juxtaposition of that bouncy cheery chorus being laid over the "blow blow me out I am so sad I don't know why" vocal. Really clever, that.

I sort of get why people don't like it. It's the same with Fountains of Wayne being known as 'that Stacy's Mom band'. There are so many other tunes that are more indicative of what they're all about, yet everyone somehow latches onto what was - from the band's perspective, I'd guess - a filler.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 04 Oct 2016, 19:08

I absolutely loved Country House the first time I heard it, back when I was 14 and just getting into blur. I still think it's great for what is is: a very fun, britpop song, with a good load of classic Damon/British melancholy thrown in. The "blow blow me out part" has always been my favorite part. Very pretty, yet like I said, melancholy. And the layering in the final two choruses still sounds so good!! Damon singing the chorus, added Graham guitar(s), "blow blow me out" playing underneath, and the great brass part underneath it all.

Glad that the band sort of "made up" with Country House and performed it in 2009 and 2012 :)