TFI Friday back this week!

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

TFI Friday back this week!

Post by Neal Zeal » 12 Oct 2015, 18:22

They've got U2 and Take That playing, apparently.
Pretty impressive line-up even if not one's particular cup of tea ...

AdvertBreak

Re: TFI Friday back this week!

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Oct 2015, 18:35

Sweet, I'll be watching.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Oct 2015, 19:07

It'll be worth watching for a nostalgia blast.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Oct 2015, 06:52

I'll be recording this (as I used to back in the day) because I would like a look-in at it.

I will be interested to see how it compares to the original series, which I used to find unmissable.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 13 Oct 2015, 15:08

Hopfully blur may make a appearance on the show.....
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 19 Oct 2015, 06:08

I watched Friday nights edition with an open mind. It turned out more or less as I expected.

It wasn't too bad really. The format was very true to the original. The set is similar, the presenters (Evans, Will McDonald) have worn their years well.

The timeslot (8pm) is aimed at 30/40-somethings housebound with family (or divorced ;) ) and monthly outgoings. They originally watched it in early/late evening in their youth, either side of a night out :P .

Blur will fit in well with this, they are from the same era as the target audience. :)

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Dec 2015, 07:46

I have been recording it each week, just as I did back in the day. Old habits die hard, including ffwding through the adverts. :P

I like the idea of the show, it is a good window on what is going on in entertainment. I miss 'Top of the Pops' in this respect.

I also like how the show is not formulaic, which is a trait of Chris Evans.

The last edition of this season is tonight, I would be happy for it to return. :D

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 18 Dec 2015, 09:12

I've only caught bits and pieces of it. It's not been appointment television for me, as thought it might have. I don't think the show has changed, so it must be me getting all sensible. :lol: What I struggle with is it all feels SO inconsequential. Was it always like this...

Huge fanfare, they bring a guest on, say Idris Elba: 'Hey Idris, so a new series of Moody Detective is on this week?' 'Yeah.' 'Great! Do you want a ride on my motorised desk?' 'Sure.' 'Okay. Now, here's Texas.'

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 18 Dec 2015, 14:53

I never really liked Chris Evans back in the day, and I find him even more irritating now but ...
have really loved seeing all the live music on the show, and such a broad selection.
From obscure indie bands to huge musical legends from decades gone by (Duran Duran, ELO etc).
It's criminal that the only music we really get on telly these days is the Simon Cowell karaoke pop show.
I've now got an opinion on tons of bands I'd heard of but never actually heard (The Slaves, Maccabees etc).
Also, there is a really catchy song on the radio lots at the mo (Hold Back the River) so was great to find out last week who was singing it, even though he looks like a right berk!
Well done Mr Evans for your services to music on telly.
I'd heard his Top Gear contract prevents him from doing more non-BBC stuff but would be a shame if TFI (or something similar) doesn't carry on...
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 18 Dec 2015, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 18 Dec 2015, 15:02

I watched the first few episodes. I thought it was alright. Not sure who the show was aimed at though. Okay, maybe I do, if you're having Bieber and 5 Seconds of Summer, but its a strange transition. Although maybe not with the likes of Duran Duran cropping up etc.

Alan Partridge co-hosts tonight's special :D

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 21 Dec 2015, 18:08

Well the music was great again on Friday but Evans was just being an absolute knob.
Maybe it was always thus, and one's tolerance has just declined over the years, but I'm sure he used to be vaguely sharp/witty. Getting his kids on camera to say amusing/cute things was a low point.
Steve Coogan was pretty flipping funny though. Maybe he should host any new series.
Be a shame if it's not continued, for the broad music policy as much as anything else...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Dec 2015, 08:09

I think it is aimed at the audience that watched it first time. Hence the inclusion of 90s aspects (e.g. Kylie Minogue, Alan Partridge, Zig & Zag etc). This audience now have children, so the show also panders to this, certainly in the eyes of current TV producers. And guests such as Justin Bieber appeal to those children.

For me TFI Friday always revolved around the music, much of the rest was just light-weight interviews and throw-away skits. Thus if these or Evans get annoying, just ffwd through them. Neal Zeal - as you say, your tolerance has probably declined over the years, as mine has.

To be fair the range of guests has been quite broad - and we see current artists that we might struggle to see elsewhere on a mainstream programme. It allows the viewer to watch the performance and make up their own mind. And I hope that is why most of them are watching, rather than just to say "awww...." when Evans's son asks the guest a question in his elocuted voice. :)