Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sledge Hammer

Re: Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2020, 20:54

I would take 15 Blur punk rock songs of Crazy Beat quality over Damon's other ventures of the last 15 years or so...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 25 Mar 2020, 05:03

Sledge Hammer wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 21:42
"it is heartbreakingly criminal that the potential of the musical partnership that is Damon and Graham has lain largely dormant for the last 20 years... "

Yep I said this before, awful really...banal Gorillaz churning out forgettable gunk every other year, Damon hasn't put 100% into new Blur material for nearly 20 years, the Mcartney/Lennon that is there waiting for new music, as Talk Talk once said "Such A Shame"
As the years go by and people age our tastes, priorities, personalities, etc change. I’d imagine it would be hard to write with the same partner year after year and not get stale or not break up. I think that is why Damon likes Gorillaz so much. He is constantly collaborating with different people.
Would I love to see more Damon and Graham collaborations or new Blur material? Hell yes, but I don’t want it to be at the cost of their friendship. And if their hearts aren’t completely in it then I don’t want it because that special something would be missing.

stephen

Post by stephen » 25 Mar 2020, 10:32

People change but also traits stay the same, Damon has always liked collaborating. He might not admit it but he probably finds blur quite rigid

stephen

Post by stephen » 25 Mar 2020, 14:01

dparrott wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 14:47
YES! ^ This is what I wanted on the album, but got some mellow lo-fi biz instead. Thanks Orbit :roll: Street would have turned it into a single.

This is my first time seeing it on video, all I had before was a bootleg CD.
Why did he almost must the guitar on the verses..fucking idiot

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 26 Mar 2020, 09:49

You guys think if Damon had not created Gorillaz he would have continued making music with Blur? Not in a million years. Damon has changed and evolved so drastically over the decades. For the last 15 years he's only cared about one thing and one thing only: collaborating. That's his main inspiration, that's what he strives for musically nowadays.

Think about it. A career spanning 30 years and only one solo album. And as he put it himself, he only did that because the timing felt right. Then Gorillaz aside, you have the various operas (Monkey, Dr. Dee), TGTBATQ, Mali Music, Africa Express etc. Even Gorillaz nowadays seems to have been converted from an experimental virtual band to a mass-collaboration project. Which personally I really don't like.

The Magic Whip happened only due to happenstance, and Graham's personal determination.

Damon doesn't care about Blur, he hasn't cared for a long time. Emotional aspect side (hence, the reunion and live shows), he isn't the least bit interested in making music with his old band mates anymore. Which is a shame, I know. I mean, Damon and Graham together are like Lennon and McCartney level of genius.

stephen

Post by stephen » 26 Mar 2020, 11:22

I think he could have done it through blur if everyone else was on board with it. You think it's just the 4 of them all the time? most bands have loads of people working for them to create their sound / song writing etc.

If you look at coldplay's setup they sound and are completely different a band to when they first set up, I don't know much about them but on the outside they don't really feel like a band. They're songs don't sound like a typical 'band' and they have collaborated with a lot of pop artists. I think the stereotypical 'band' sound has pretty much gone, especially if you are a pop group. I think part of blur's downfall is that they didn't keep up with times, maybe they didn't want to, maybe they wanted to keep sounding like a band. blur are more like a travis than a coldplay, fran healy recently said they could have ended up like a coldplay but that would have been too easy. I think the same can be said for blur

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 26 Mar 2020, 13:36

I think Coldplay have totally sold out, they started pretty interesting on the first 2 albums, but they have lost that magic to become world popular. I do listen to their albums when released, but the last one in particular is a snore fest and doesn't sound like a band, just sounds like anybody could play the instruments for Chris Martin. Blur may not have gone in that direction, but their songs, even their more difficult entries such as 13 helps them sell out big venues and headline festivals everytime they get back together. And when you look at how young many of their fans are at these shows, it just proves how timeless their back catalogue really is.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 26 Mar 2020, 14:26

stephen wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:22
I think he could have done it through blur if everyone else was on board with it. You think it's just the 4 of them all the time? most bands have loads of people working for them to create their sound / song writing etc.

If you look at coldplay's setup they sound and are completely different a band to when they first set up, I don't know much about them but on the outside they don't really feel like a band. They're songs don't sound like a typical 'band' and they have collaborated with a lot of pop artists. I think the stereotypical 'band' sound has pretty much gone, especially if you are a pop group. I think part of blur's downfall is that they didn't keep up with times, maybe they didn't want to, maybe they wanted to keep sounding like a band. blur are more like a travis than a coldplay, fran healy recently said they could have ended up like a coldplay but that would have been too easy. I think the same can be said for blur
Some bands evolve, others don't. Blur have evolved so much over the years, their change in sound has constantly been drastic. But I've never considered them a collaborations act.

Graham is an extremely talented musician, and one of the best guitarists in the world. But at his core he's still just that, a rock n roll guitarist. Alex and Dave, albeit integral part of the band, are just constants in the equation.

Only Damon and Graham have influenced Blur's evolution over the years, but Damon strives for much more than that. He's eager to collaborate over different spheres and genres, with an insane amount of artists all over the world. And he doesn't even want to be the center of attention anymore. He's matured beyond your average frontman.

I just don't see Blur pleasing his ambitions anymore. And I'm talking about the last 15 years.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 26 Mar 2020, 15:05

Naaaaahh, I have to disagree with a lot of what has just been said...

Blur are actually a very collaborative band. Particularly in terms of British pop bands of the past 30 years. Damon may come up with the nucleus of the songs(sometimes more), but he doesn't really dictate to the rest of the guys how he wants it to sound. The fact he was actually very musically limited for the first few years made the band operate in that way going forward.

The reason I love Blur so much is because they are the perfect band. 4 elements that are so uniquely different, but essential in elevating the other components equally. It's ludicrous to write off Graham as just being a Rock n Roll guitarist, even a great one, because he is a pioneer. Other than maybe Marr, there hasn't been a British guitar player who has managed to channel such a range of difficult emotions through a 6 stringed instrument the way Coxon does. You can hear what he feels in every little twitchy lick and fill. He adds so many iconic moments to all the biggest Blur songs. The intros to Beetlebum, Parklife, She's so high and even 'There's no other way'(this whole song would largely be filler without his input) to name but a few. Alex's bass lines are not to be overlooked either. Girls and Boys would be so regimented and mundane without him bouncing triplets and octaves over it. He actually plays so much in the background but somehow manages to never step on the toes of the vocal melodies and lead guitar parts. If you actually listen to the bass in This is a low, he is doing so much to bring out the vocal melodies and add to the eery, nautical atmosphere. Dave's attention to dynamics and ability to play soft experimental rhythms or ferocious punk beats when required is astounding. You will be hard pushed to find a drummer who gives the songs more space and respect when required than Dave.

Think Tank proved that without 1 of the key ingredients, it just isn't Blur. They aren't like The Cure or Oasis, where there's one songwriter who is so overpowering from the start of the process to the end to the extent it doesn't matter who is there to play them the parts. It's about the personality they each bring too, it's the perfect balance. Damon is the overconfident, show-off front man but has a very delicate sensitive side. Graham is a fidgety, nail-biting ball of nervous energy. Alex is the arrogant lothario who brings the Duran Duran-isms and Dave is just incredibly level headed and knows how to deal with the other 3 better than anyone could. The mediator.

...If they get together to do another album then yes, maybe Damon will come along with a batch of ideas, but it still goes through the cooking process of the other 3 big personalities that make Blur the iconic, unique band we have all come to love.
Last edited by TracyJosh on 26 Mar 2020, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 26 Mar 2020, 15:15

I agree with you TracyJosh. They are perfect together. But I think what others in this thread meant by collaboration is Humanz/Song Machine style collaboration. Playing music with all kinds of musicians from all over the world. That seems to be what Damon has been into for the last 15 years, not playing with people he's known for ages.

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 27 Mar 2020, 01:30

stephen wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 15:37
"Pleasent Education"

HOOOOLY SHIT I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THIS
I've always loved this little tune
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 27 Mar 2020, 19:17

stephen wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:22
blur are more like a travis than a coldplay
Was that just to check and see the quality of forumites in 2020?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 Mar 2020, 21:22

TracyJosh wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 15:05
Naaaaahh, I have to disagree with a lot of what has just been said...

Blur are actually a very collaborative band. Particularly in terms of British pop bands of the past 30 years. Damon may come up with the nucleus of the songs(sometimes more), but he doesn't really dictate to the rest of the guys how he wants it to sound. The fact he was actually very musically limited for the first few years made the band operate in that way going forward.
Did you even read what I wrote? I said Damon's main motivation is to collaborate with as many artists as possible across various spheres and genres of music. Even Gorillaz gradually evolved from an experimental virtual band to a collaborations act: 5 guests in their debut album, 12 guests in Demon Days, 12 guests in Plastic Beach, 22 guests in Humanz.

You seriously think Blur could have pulled that off, and satisfied his needs and desires on such a large scale? Let's be real.

I never said Blur aren't collaborative, but it's stupid to deny that the driving force behind the band's songwriting process has always been Damon and Graham. They've always dictated where the band was headed and what music they wanted to make.
TracyJosh wrote:
The reason I love Blur so much is because they are the perfect band. 4 elements that are so uniquely different, but essential in elevating the other components equally. It's ludicrous to write off Graham as just being a Rock n Roll guitarist, even a great one, because he is a pioneer. Other than maybe Marr, there hasn't been a British guitar player who has managed to channel such a range of difficult emotions through a 6 stringed instrument the way Coxon does. You can hear what he feels in every little twitchy lick and fill. He adds so many iconic moments to all the biggest Blur songs. The intros to Beetlebum, Parklife, She's so high and even 'There's no other way'(this whole song would largely be filler without his input) to name but a few.
Didn't you just describe a rock n roll guitarist, though?

Graham is one of the best guitarists in the world, as I said. But my point was that, although he can confidently play other instruments as well, his main instrument is and will always be the guitar. He loves owning that instrument and do crazy shit with it. That's what makes him a genius. So, it's ludicrous to think he would have felt comfortable with whatever Damon has been doing in the last 15 years. Because, in the end, it would be such a waste of talent.
TracyJosh wrote:
Think Tank proved that without 1 of the key ingredients, it just isn't Blur. They aren't like The Cure or Oasis, where there's one songwriter who is so overpowering from the start of the process to the end to the extent it doesn't matter who is there to play them the parts.
Yet Think Tank is a fantastic album.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 Mar 2020, 21:23

loveinthe90s wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 15:15
I agree with you TracyJosh. They are perfect together. But I think what others in this thread meant by collaboration is Humanz/Song Machine style collaboration. Playing music with all kinds of musicians from all over the world. That seems to be what Damon has been into for the last 15 years, not playing with people he's known for ages.
Exactly.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 28 Mar 2020, 00:23

Rubi wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 21:22

Yet Think Tank is a fantastic album.
That's a matter of opinion. The Graham influence is clearly missing and it suffers for it. Graham would not let a song like Jets be on an album.