Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Post by Rubi » 16 Mar 2020, 00:05

People dismissing 13 because of its lacklustre nature is the same as Radiohead fans hating on Kid A (and everything that came afterwards) because they wanted more of The Bends.

13 is Blur's finest, most complex and most rewarding achievement. Their discography wouldn't be nearly as exciting if they had never released it.

semi

Post by semi » 17 Mar 2020, 10:10

Rubi wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 00:05
People dismissing 13 because of its lacklustre nature is the same as Radiohead fans hating on Kid A (and everything that came afterwards) because they wanted more of The Bends.

13 is Blur's finest, most complex and most rewarding achievement. Their discography wouldn't be nearly as exciting if they had never released it.
No, I don't see 13 as Blur's Kid A. The album has good songs, but in the end is not a great album.

1- Tender - Great
2- Bugman - Noise destroys the song
3- Coffee & TV - Classic
4- Swamp Song - It's OK
5- 1992 - I just can't stand it.
6- BLUREMI - Emm, next
7- Battle - Overrated
8- Mellow Song - I really like this one.
9- Trailerpark - Rubbish
10- Caramel - Too experimental
11- Trimm Trabb - Should have been a single.
12- No Distance Left To Run - It's ok, but it's not a single material for me. Why is this in 'The Best Of' album and Stereotypes is out?
13- Optigan 1- that's it?

semi

Post by semi » 17 Mar 2020, 10:17

I remember Beetlebum as a disappointment at the time in Spain (although it was nº 1 in Los 40 Principales).

TGE was first album having success in Spain so, no Parklife, MLIR or Leisure was known here. However, when Beetlebum was out, I bought TGE album and I became a blur fan. Song 2 and On Your Own came later, a they were big hits for me and my friends (yes, we really liked On Your Own and the video).

Today, Beetlebum is one of my favourites tracks.

stephen

Post by stephen » 17 Mar 2020, 11:25

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 17 Mar 2020, 12:45

semi wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 10:10
Rubi wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 00:05

No, I don't see 13 as Blur's Kid A. The album has good songs, but in the end is not a great album.

1- Tender - Great
3- Coffee & TV - Classic
4- Swamp Song - It's OK
6- BLUREMI - Emm, next
7- Battle - Overrated
9- Trailerpark - Rubbish
12- No Distance Left To Run - It's ok, but it's not a single material for me. Why is this in 'The Best Of' album and Stereotypes is out?
You have no clue what you're talking about.

ricj

Post by ricj » 19 Mar 2020, 10:53

I was a 13 year old casual fan around Parklife and I loved the Great Escape when it came out (not so much now, I'd probably say its my least listened to Blur album these days). When Beetlebum and the Blur album came out, I was initially surprised, intrigued and at first, missed their 'old' sound a bit. I remember listening to the album a lot on my paper round and that was when I really got into it and it all really clicked for me. I guess I was still only a 'fan' until I taped the Glastonbury 98 performance and that was the catalyst that took me to superfandom level. There was no way for me to be able to get to see a current Blur performance and the energy of it blew me away. I was a bit obsessed with the mysterious new song that became Trailerpark (still my favourite performance/version of that song) and could not WAIT to hear what the new album would sound like. When Tender came along I thought it was the most surprisingly beautiful thing I'd ever heard and it was not what I was expecting at all. I remember taping the Hippodrome show and listening to that religiously on my Walkman for weeks so when 13 came out I knew the songs back to front (except Caramel). It's still probably my favourite Blur album but it's interesting hearing their views on it now and hearing that it was actually made in a really fragmented way... I finally got to see Blur live when I made the trip down from the North East to Reading 99 and it was the crowning moment of a year that was soundtracked by Blur. Finally I remember the optimism for the future around the time of Music is My Radar and eagerly awaiting the new album that never came... Despite the eventual reunion in 2009 and TMW (which I really love), none of us knew at the time that MIMR was effectively the end of Blur and as has been mentioned, it is heartbreakingly criminal that the potential of the musical partnership that is Damon and Graham has lain largely dormant for the last 20 years...

I cling onto the hope that Damon will one day do a Frank Black Francis and turn his back on his 'solo' career and fully commit himself to Blur again for a few years.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Mar 2020, 21:42

"it is heartbreakingly criminal that the potential of the musical partnership that is Damon and Graham has lain largely dormant for the last 20 years... "

Yep I said this before, awful really...banal Gorillaz churning out forgettable gunk every other year, Damon hasn't put 100% into new Blur material for nearly 20 years, the Mcartney/Lennon that is there waiting for new music, as Talk Talk once said "Such A Shame"

ricj

Post by ricj » 20 Mar 2020, 16:15

It's also strange to think that the first Gorillaz album is made up of songs from demos that would've most likely formed the basis for the follow up to 13 if things had worked out differently. What with I Got Law appearing as a bonus track on the Japanese version of 13 and hints of certain songs from the first Gorillaz album audible in the Bill Laswell demos. It's strange to think how those songs would've turned out if they'd been fed through the Graham and Damon partnership rather than Damon alone.

It falls into the 'Blur, later history, unanswered questions' part of my brain - what was the intention of those Bill Laswell sessions? Did Blur attempt to begin a follow up to 13 with him? Also, were they planning on making a new album in the traditional method with William Orbit in 2012 before the plug was pulled on that?

But yes, it's incredibly sad that Blur had to cease to be a fully functioning band so Damon can churn out quantity over quality...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 20 Mar 2020, 20:13

....And don't forget the Blur punk ep live gig that was cancelled the day before, fan club invite, all very strange, lots of 2000+ Blur history we still don't the full story of.

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 20 Mar 2020, 22:29

Remember alex saying something like 'foo fighters betters watch out' or summat ridiculous lol

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 21 Mar 2020, 04:12

semi wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 10:10

1- Tender - Great
3- Coffee & TV - Classic
4- Swamp Song - It's OK
6- BLUREMI - Emm, next
7- Battle - Overrated
9- Trailerpark - Rubbish
I agree with about half of this. I like BLUREMI and Battle. Mellow Song...meh. Trailerpark was a real let down from the live version a year earlier but is ok. Trimm Trabb...meh, too repetitive.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 21 Mar 2020, 10:18

Mark87uk wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 22:29
Remember alex saying something like 'foo fighters betters watch out' or summat ridiculous lol
Yeah I love the Blur punk style songs so was really excited, then...nothing.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 21 Mar 2020, 13:25

Mark87uk wrote:
"The Foo Fighters are gonna wet their pants when they hear it."

Here´s the source:

http://www.vblurpage.com/news/2006/0331.htm

But remember: At the time it was going to be "2006 Blur", still without Graham. 2. If there wasn´t Gorillaz, Blur would be Suede-size kind of band today. I know many devoted Blur fans who came via Gorillaz. In other words, Gorillaz helped introduce Blur to a new generation.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 21 Mar 2020, 13:47

vitekm wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 13:25
Mark87uk wrote:

Here´s the source:

But remember: At the time it was going to be "2006 Blur", still without Graham. 2. If there wasn´t Gorillaz, Blur would be Suede-size kind of band today. I know many devoted Blur fans who came via Gorillaz. In other words, Gorillaz helped introduce Blur to a new generation.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure Blur would be Suede size. Not that Suede aren't a respected part of 90s British alternative, but Blur were far, far bigger commercially over that decade than Suede were. You still frequently hear so many Blur songs on the radio in the UK and I don't think it has a lot to do with Gorillaz, they simply just have more big hits that still get airplay.

The success of The Magic Whip and it's world tour probably has a lot to thank Gorillaz for though.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 21 Mar 2020, 14:53

TracyJosh wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 13:47
vitekm wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 13:25
Mark87uk wrote:

Here´s the source:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure Blur would be Suede size. Not that Suede aren't a respected part of 90s British alternative, but Blur were far, far bigger commercially over that decade than Suede were. You still frequently hear so many Blur songs on the radio in the UK and I don't think it has a lot to do with Gorillaz, they simply just have more big hits that still get airplay.

The success of The Magic Whip and it's world tour probably has a lot to thank Gorillaz for though.
yes, you are right, Blur were bigger at the time, they had more No. 1 albums and more importantly they also had No 1 singles in UK. So they would be still bigger than Suede but definitely less well-known without Gorillaz impact.