Graham in LA ...

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

rich

Graham in LA ...

Post by rich » 20 Jan 2020, 14:34

stephen

Re: Graham in LA ...

Post by stephen » 20 Jan 2020, 15:31

so he likes working a 9-5 (like damon) and has a tonne of material that's ready to use but doesn't have anything to use for it yet. :roll:

rich

Post by rich » 20 Jan 2020, 16:10

stephen wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 15:31
so he likes working a 9-5 (like damon) and has a tonne of material that's ready to use but doesn't have anything to use for it yet. :roll:
Things are in the wings though:

"I’ve been working on it for quite a while,” he says mysteriously “and I’m just figuring out some conceptual details, some ways of doing it. But there’s something that means an awful lot to me that is waiting to be unleashed.”

and there's Castle Park (is this the first time we've heard the name?):

“There’s also the other album that I recorded at the same time as ‘A+E’ I’d like to get that out at some point because it’s a nice little record. I’ve always called it ‘Castle Park’. It’s not like ‘A+E’ it’s a bit more of an old school indie / 60s sound but there’s some lovely stuff on it. I’ve played quite a lot of it live at shows, but studio recordings have never been heard yet, so at some point I’d like to get that out. But it’s getting on now! It’s getting on!”

nb: Castle Park is in Colchester :)

rich

Post by rich » 20 Jan 2020, 21:43

My intention in posting this was to find out what people thought about Graham spending a lot of time (or even living for a while) in LA - what this might mean for Graham's musical direction, and what effect this might have on the blur dynamic...

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 20 Jan 2020, 22:21

My guess is that he is quite unhappy with the current situation in the UK. Sounds a bit silly, but his Twitter comments regarding to Brexit were not that positive. His time in LA seems to be happy. So he is propably working on a lot of new solo stuff, moving to a more 90s Indie sound. Just remember his gig with That Dog in late 2019.

I just hope that the other band members could join him at any time, because Damon went to the States very often with Gorillaz and other projects. Maybe they could create a situation like the production of the ST record on Iceland: A permanent phase of work for a couple of weeks. A lot was written about Graham's role in the recording of the Magic Whip and that he was the driving force behind it. So equal input and love by Damon couild help to make another great record.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 20 Jan 2020, 23:11

There was an interview with Graham on BBC 6 back in November, he was talking about his home studio and a garden in LA, his new 9-5 routine, about accompanying kids to school - it seemed a permanent thing.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 21 Jan 2020, 00:40

That interview is almost identical to a lot of previous ones: living in LA, doing soundtracks, having a lot of solo stuff including an album from A+E era to be released, blabla. He's been talking about releasing new solo material since the end of 2017 though. And he's not really "spending a lot of time" in LA, he's been living in LA for at least a year. As for his musical directions, here's what he said in Uncut Feb 2020: "I am knocking on and there's a lot of music I need to make. I've got a lot of catching up to do. I don't know how Damon or Ray Davies or Paul Weller could do it [at such a young age] — I'm 50 now, but I'm sort of 30 in a musical journey way. I'm only just getting a grip on stuff." So I'm really looking forward to what he would come up next.
I think the possibility of new blur material really depends on their schedule, not their geographic locations. Musicians fly to all kinds of places to record all the time, and Damon is constantly traveling around the world. It's just Damon always has some projects going on, and apparently now Graham has also picked up a similar work ethic. I believe them when they say they don't know. I'm sure they enjoy playing with each other and would like to do it one more time someday, and if they both have time for it, Graham being on a different continent is not going to stop that from happening.

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Jan 2020, 09:09

I had no idea he was living in LA so I'm a little slow on that one.

God it would be nice to get off this island