"The End of the F***ing World" - full soundtrack album

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

vitekm

Re: "The End of the F***ing World" - full soundtrack album

Post by vitekm » 12 Nov 2019, 21:37

No matter what you think about the album so far, I strongly recommend to you to give it more listens. It´s definitely a grower. I agree with some of you that there were more instantly catchy songs on 1st series, but then again, this album is getting better with every listen. Also, it is a good invitation to revisit Graham´s solo catalogue, from dark Golden D to folky Spinning Top, all those diverse influences that informs Graham´s current music were always there.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Nov 2019, 23:38

blurop4 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 01:51
Listening to it now (iTunes download). So far, lots of similarities to the first soundtrack. I haven't heard anything that really jumps out like "She Left the Light On" or "Walking All Day", but still working my way through it. Early impressions are it's solid with a lot of variety in style and it is always amazing to hear anything with Graham. His solo albums are still so important to me...maybe if we are lucky, this will prompt a US tour similar to last Fall. Seeing him in four cities was definitely a highlight of my 2018.
I've had the same thought - I so hope this will make for another tour from Graham. The last one was so good!
vitekm wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 21:37
Also, it is a good invitation to revisit Graham´s solo catalogue, from dark Golden D to folky Spinning Top, all those diverse influences that informs Graham´s current music were always there.
Completely agree. Since the series 2 soundtrack came out, I have been listening to Graham's other solo records a lot. Graham's solo discography contains some of the best albums made by any blur member.. including some blur albums. Graham's solo stuff seems to get ignored by blur fans (not on this forum, particularly! Just in general), which is criminal to me.

I love all of Graham's albums for different reasons, but god his first four albums were absolutely bonkers good. Still think the debut is my favorite; That's All I Wanna Do is one of my favorite album openers of all time, it's brilliant.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 14 Nov 2019, 06:22

aldamasta wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 23:38
blurop4 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 01:51
Listening to it now (iTunes download). So far, lots of similarities to the first soundtrack. I haven't heard anything that really jumps out like "She Left the Light On" or "Walking All Day", but still working my way through it. Early impressions are it's solid with a lot of variety in style and it is always amazing to hear anything with Graham. His solo albums are still so important to me...maybe if we are lucky, this will prompt a US tour similar to last Fall. Seeing him in four cities was definitely a highlight of my 2018.
I've had the same thought - I so hope this will make for another tour from Graham. The last one was so good!
vitekm wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 21:37
Also, it is a good invitation to revisit Graham´s solo catalogue, from dark Golden D to folky Spinning Top, all those diverse influences that informs Graham´s current music were always there.
Completely agree. Since the series 2 soundtrack came out, I have been listening to Graham's other solo records a lot. Graham's solo discography contains some of the best albums made by any blur member.. including some blur albums. Graham's solo stuff seems to get ignored by blur fans (not on this forum, particularly! Just in general), which is criminal to me.

I love all of Graham's albums for different reasons, but god his first four albums were absolutely bonkers good. Still think the debut is my favorite; That's All I Wanna Do is one of my favorite album openers of all time, it's brilliant.

Yes, it´s largely ignored by Blur fanbase, he´s not getting even 10% of support Gallagher brothers gets from Oasis fanbase (for example). His last regular album A plus E came to rave reviews, still it only got to no. 38 in the british chart. Means it sold nothing. Or take for example his last accoustic tour, where he was playing really tiny clubs, still they were mostly not sold out. I´m not saying he could (or should) be some major, mainstream figure, but this ignoration have made him almost obscure in recent years. Thats also weird because his solo music is something that should easily appeal to "a Blur fan", it´s not like he went to recording some radically different or experimental stuff. One possible explanation is that the first generation of Blur fans, people in their forties or fifties, is now too old (or just busy, with kids etc.) to care about new music (in general), whilst younger fans, who in many cases have found Blur via Gorillaz, are too focused on Damon, taking Graham as a cute sideman to Damon, do not really appreciating his importance to classic Blur albums/sound/aesthetics etc. Another possible explanation could be infamously lame promoting by eleven.mgmt. It takes more to promote new music properly than just sharing his facebook posts on Blur´s facebook page.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 14 Nov 2019, 07:02

The first 4 albums are great, some real gems on them, don’t get me wrong I do love what came after from Graham, HIM is a masterpiece. The new album is a grower, I am starting to pick up on other songs with more listens and would be good to hear parts of the album live mixed into his set list. I don’t think Graham gets the credit he deserves that he pretty much plays and does everything on his solo stuff, a very talented and clever chap. :)

Liese

Post by Liese » 18 Nov 2019, 13:05

Sorry if this has been posted before, but is there no hard-copy version of the record out there? It was for the first soundtrack, but I cannot find anything now.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 19 Nov 2019, 19:20

Liese wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 13:05
Sorry if this has been posted before, but is there no hard-copy version of the record out there? It was for the first soundtrack, but I cannot find anything now.
It will be released on vinyl in January. The date is not announced yet.

Liese

Post by Liese » 25 Nov 2019, 09:17

loveinthe90s wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 19:20
Liese wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 13:05
It will be released on vinyl in January. The date is not announced yet.
Thanks, that is good news!
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 25 Nov 2019, 14:31

rich

Post by rich » 06 Dec 2019, 17:53

Ebay has She Knows in 12" red vinyl at a very unreasonable £149.95 :shock: :shock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392572724409?ul_noapp=true
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 21 Dec 2019, 20:28

Full version of "White Wedding" cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWnIxP ... =emb_title

rich

Post by rich » 02 Jan 2020, 15:37

vitekm wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 20:28
Full version of "White Wedding" cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWnIxP ... =emb_title
really good, thanks :)
a far cry from Billy Idol's original (remember Billy?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZQaYKZMTI but actually follows it note for note ...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405