The Great Escape

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TracyJosh

The Great Escape

Post by TracyJosh » 19 Oct 2019, 10:03

Going through a phase where TGE is my favorite Blur album...

I was just wondering why exactly it is viewed as being a lesser album than Parklife? Even Damon seemed pretty dismissive of it really quickly after it's release. I'm personally struggling to find where the bad songs are. It feels like an evolution of the ideas on Parklife with a slightly more critical and dark undertone. It's a bit angrier but that's not a bad thing!? Really don't think the quality in songwriting drops in any way what so ever.

There's so many gems that have been overlooked. Has Entertain Me ever had a run out at a gig? Best Days? I think the only bad songs on it are Ernold Same and possibly Dan Abnormal, but even then, Dan Abnormal is still enjoyable. Has great guitar work on it anyway.

loveinthe90s

Re: The Great Escape

Post by loveinthe90s » 19 Oct 2019, 13:31

I think for the band it's mostly the experience around it. I agree with you that the album itself stands. He Thought of Cars is just extraordinarily beautiful. It's dramatic and edgy and cynical. I'm still waiting for it to be adapted for a musical.

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 19 Oct 2019, 15:15

I do have a fondness for globe alone and entertain me. Love ultranol off the b sides too

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 21 Oct 2019, 07:54

Ernold Same the only stinker, yes love Globe Alone and Entertain Me, The Universal a brilliant single....that was the worthy no 1.

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Oct 2019, 08:21

I think they sold a litle bit of soul when they made the album, they gave everyone what they wanted

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 21 Oct 2019, 08:54

stephen wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 08:21
I think they sold a litle bit of soul when they made the album, they gave everyone what they wanted
I think they did for 3 of the 4 singles. Stereotypes, Charmless Man and Country House are all a bit generic. Although I love Stereotypes. But aside from that, the rest of the album is definitely a progression.

John_d

Post by John_d » 22 Oct 2019, 13:37

TracyJosh wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 08:54
stephen wrote:
I think they did for 3 of the 4 singles. Stereotypes, Charmless Man and Country House are all a bit generic. Although I love Stereotypes. But aside from that, the rest of the album is definitely a progression.
Stereotypes is possibly their worst single of their proper heyday anyway, and when singles were still A Thing. (I would rate Lonesome Street as possibly worse.) Other 3 were very good choices. Not sure why Stereotypes got picked, possibly because it was the most bland uptempo one left to choose from?

stephen

Post by stephen » 22 Oct 2019, 14:58

John_d wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 13:37
TracyJosh wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 08:54
stephen wrote:
Stereotypes is possibly their worst single of their proper heyday anyway, and when singles were still A Thing. (I would rate Lonesome Street as possibly worse.) Other 3 were very good choices. Not sure why Stereotypes got picked, possibly because it was the most bland uptempo one left to choose from?
As most people will know Stereotypes was going to be the lead single, looks bizarre looking back at it now. The music video for it was just live footage with the song dubbed over from what I can remember? Maybe we would have had a full budget video if it was the lead

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 22 Oct 2019, 15:26

Well, it has all the ingredients of a Blur Britpop era single, but it's almost too try-hard, forced even. It just misses the target for a genuinely great pop song. Misses a certain spark, which can be said for Charmless Man too. Still, I love the groove of it and it's a very well arranged song. Just overall it's lacking the Blur magic.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 22 Oct 2019, 15:35

.... M.O.R, The shit Blur singles collection:

M.O.R
Stereotypes
Bang
Crazy Beat
Ong Ong
Lonesome Street
Chemical World

:P

stephen

Post by stephen » 23 Oct 2019, 08:14

Chemical World is class, agree with everything else though :D

JackS

Post by JackS » 23 Oct 2019, 12:25

The album just needed minor surgery

Get rid of Topman and Ernold Same, add Tame and Ultranol and you have a great album

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 24 Oct 2019, 21:06

stephen wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 08:14
Chemical World is class, agree with everything else though :D
Yes! Chemical World is one of my favorite blur song. Timeless riff, classic pop tune, and a fun music video for it.

And Bang may be a shit single... but I still really like it :P

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 25 Oct 2019, 09:14

Aw I actually love Bang.. but it just failed so miserably at being a single.

Always just found Chemical World drags a bit and the chorus is a bit meh. I can see why it's actually a favorite among Blur fans though, just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 25 Oct 2019, 15:57

Never ever would I remove Ernold Same from the The Great Escape; maybe not the best track, but in my opinion it is the epitome of the spirit of the whole album.

Agreed with JackS, I would replace Top Man by Ultranol, and possibly Charmless Man (a bit over the top) by, let's say, St Louis.

One thing which annoys me slightly with this album is the production, which I find a bit overdone. MLIR lacked space for the complexity of some of the arrangements (e.g. For Tomorrow or Chemical World), Parklife had a good balance, but The Great Escape goes maybe a bit too far.