Happiness in Magazines turns 15

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

vitekm

Happiness in Magazines turns 15

Post by vitekm » 17 May 2019, 21:21

Share your thoughts and/or memories on this great album. How would you rate in the context of GC discography?

TristramShandy

Re: Happiness in Magazines turns 15

Post by TristramShandy » 18 May 2019, 20:16

I've always liked Graham's solo work, and I find it very difficult to "rank" his albums. I reckon each of them has its own particularities. Maybe you could group the first four (and still, they're quite different from each other), then you could say Happiness and Love Travels form a pair, then The Spinning Top is apart, and A+E is apart, not mentionning The End Of, which (although a very good collection of songs) is a soundtrack.
So, difficult task... For me, A+E and Love Travels are more or less 2nd division albums, but all the others are really sound.

To come back to the first question: I remember being quite pleased when Happiness came out, especially because Freakin' Out did get a bit of airplay, which I don't think was the case for any song of the previous albums.
It's a solid album, and consistent. The only thing I could object is that it opened the way to Love Travels At Illegal Speed, which is in my opinion inferior; a bit too formatted.

Well remembered, vitekm, as for the date. That reminds me: I don't think we had a post last 15th March on "13 gets 20", did we? ;)

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 19 May 2019, 20:09

This is one of the best Blur or Blur-member related albums ever released. After 4 solo albums that were decidedly lo-fi, GC blew us all away on this one and even was showing off his guitar playing skills...it's easy to forget now how rare it was for Graham to just flat out shred before this came out and how niche his solo work was considered until this.

This also coincided with the uptick in some indie-guitar type bands going big - Strokes, Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, White Stripes - but this out-rocked and out-witted lyrically all of them.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 20 May 2019, 12:47

Still love the album, it is my favourite out of all his albums. Great vocals, amazing guitar and just so damned catchy. I think at the time it also made me realise any future Blur may have, would not the same without Graham. It was more Blur than Think Tank. 😀

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 20 May 2019, 16:53

TristramShandy wrote:
18 May 2019, 20:16
I've always liked Graham's solo work, and I find it very difficult to "rank" his albums. I reckon each of them has its own particularities. Maybe you could group the first four (and still, they're quite different from each other), then you could say Happiness and Love Travels form a pair, then The Spinning Top is apart, and A+E is apart, not mentionning The End Of, which (although a very good collection of songs) is a soundtrack.
So, difficult task... For me, A+E and Love Travels are more or less 2nd division albums, but all the others are really sound.

To come back to the first question: I remember being quite pleased when Happiness came out, especially because Freakin' Out did get a bit of airplay, which I don't think was the case for any song of the previous albums.
It's a solid album, and consistent. The only thing I could object is that it opened the way to Love Travels At Illegal Speed, which is in my opinion inferior; a bit too formatted.

Well remembered, vitekm, as for the date. That reminds me: I don't think we had a post last 15th March on "13 gets 20", did we? ;)
Not to mention 10th anniversary of Spinnig Top one week erlier :-) Compared to HIM, it makes a good example of just how diverse his catalogue is! There´s really a lot to explore for those who thinks that solo Graham is just Freakin´ Out.

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 26 May 2019, 06:49

Wow, time flies. It's my favourite Graham album and one of my fav Blur-related albums as well. Was pleasantly surprised how good it was, as I wasn't a huge fan of his solo work before. I love every song and Ribbons and Leaves is an amazing closer
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 27 May 2019, 20:04

Yea, definitely hit his stride with this one. This and Love Travels are his best.

JackS

Post by JackS » 28 May 2019, 12:56

Love this album, and delighted to have recently picked up a copy on vinyl.

I struggle to choose a favourite between this, Spinning Top, and A&E

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 28 May 2019, 14:47

Ashamed to say I haven't really given Graham's solo stuff much time. Hearing how much of an impact Happiness in Magazines has had on you all, I'll definitely give it a good listen in the coming days.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 29 May 2019, 16:53

TracyJosh wrote:
28 May 2019, 14:47
Ashamed to say I haven't really given Graham's solo stuff much time. Hearing how much of an impact Happiness in Magazines has had on you all, I'll definitely give it a good listen in the coming days.
Definitely try some more. The Kiss of Morning is my very favourite.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 17 Jun 2019, 12:51

Intereresting as I recently rediscovered my love for this album, and for LTAIS. Such a complete album, filled with top tunes all throughout it. Bitersweet Bundle of Misery still remains to this day one of my favorite Blur-releated songs ever.

These two albums represent the golden era of Graham's discography. No other album comes close IMO. And whereas I agree LTAIS is more formulaic in its content, it's still a very, very solid rock album. Can't really choose between the two, but HIM will always hold a special place in my heart, as it came out when I started listening to Blur.

John_d

Post by John_d » 02 Jul 2019, 10:31

Lovely album. One way or another someone (Stephen Street?) convinced Graham to make a proper accessible solo album and give it a promotional shove. Freakin Out in particular is absolutely superb.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Jul 2019, 08:32

Yes, I played the album quite a lot at the time. It brought a run of good hit singles as well.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."