TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Pavlich

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by Pavlich » 01 May 2019, 02:05

tom_cas1 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 21:24
I disagree on Gorillaz. When it came to the live shows, yes, they were handled and covered well. But both albums were handled badly. Very much like Merrie Land right now. No-one is talking about it, absolutely no-one. The same can't be said if you go back 14 years to Demon Days. EVERYONE was talking about the album because the album was constantly promoted. Things have changed a lot.
Obviously Demon Days was a much better album, plenty of here will say it's Damon's most complete record, and it had multiple singles which are well known even today. Not to mention the novel and pretty good film clips. But I agree with you.

It's not especially hard to put Gorillaz as a headliner. How many genuine headliners are there these days? You see some bands headline one and sub-headline another, you see pop acts there to bolster the top line. Gorillaz have nearly 20 years of hits. The festival demographic remember Feel Good Inc from when they were kids. They also don't tour much so there's the allure part of it.

The promotion and hype was so fuckin butchered. It was excruciating how ad-libbed it all was.

John_d

Post by John_d » 02 May 2019, 13:15

Pavlich wrote:
01 May 2019, 02:05
tom_cas1 wrote:
I disagree on Gorillaz. When it came to the live shows, yes, they were handled and covered well. But both albums were handled badly. Very much like Merrie Land right now. No-one is talking about it, absolutely no-one. The same can't be said if you go back 14 years to Demon Days. EVERYONE was talking about the album because the album was constantly promoted. Things have changed a lot.
Obviously Demon Days was a much better album, plenty of here will say it's Damon's most complete record, and it had multiple singles which are well known even today. Not to mention the novel and pretty good film clips. But I agree with you.

It's not especially hard to put Gorillaz as a headliner. How many genuine headliners are there these days? You see some bands headline one and sub-headline another, you see pop acts there to bolster the top line. Gorillaz have nearly 20 years of hits. The festival demographic remember Feel Good Inc from when they were kids. They also don't tour much so there's the allure part of it.

The promotion and hype was so fuckin butchered. It was excruciating how ad-libbed it all was.
I just don't agree with this. Humanz was given a big promotional shove, and plenty was clearly organised well in advance. There was the Electronic Beats app. There was the very impressive Saturnz Barz 3D video (part-financed by YouTube?). There was the Sonos Spirit House. There were the live interviews with 2D and Murdoc. This is just off the top of my head. Personally I don't think Saturnz Barz was a good enough song. You can do all the unusual promo you want, but you need your songs played on the radio.

__must__

Post by __must__ » 04 May 2019, 14:47

John_d wrote:
02 May 2019, 13:15
Pavlich wrote:
01 May 2019, 02:05
tom_cas1 wrote:

I just don't agree with this. Humanz was given a big promotional shove, and plenty was clearly organised well in advance. There was the Electronic Beats app. There was the very impressive Saturnz Barz 3D video (part-financed by YouTube?). There was the Sonos Spirit House. There were the live interviews with 2D and Murdoc. This is just off the top of my head. Personally I don't think Saturnz Barz was a good enough song. You can do all the unusual promo you want, but you need your songs played on the radio.
Personally I would've went with Andromeda or We Got The Power as the big lead single over Saturnz Barz. Andromeda already resembling a big hit song (Billie Jean), plus it fitting in with the sound people expect from Gorillaz a tad more, just really screams it fairing better off as the lead :D. We Got The Power would've been a good choice too, since I believe it did get a decent amount of radio play in parts of the world, more so than the other 3 singles that came out with it.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 May 2019, 15:47

Releasing four songs at once was the dumbest thing they could have done. Seriously stupid. No clear single. And Hallelujah Money as the first song to drop months before the album? :lol: Terrible.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

John_d

Post by John_d » 07 May 2019, 12:00

tom_cas1 wrote:
06 May 2019, 15:47
Releasing four songs at once was the dumbest thing they could have done. Seriously stupid. No clear single. And Hallelujah Money as the first song to drop months before the album? :lol: Terrible.
I'm not sure what the timing of Hallelujah Money was about. It appeared to be a dig at Trump. Fair enough. I don't thin anybody thought it was actually supposed to be a "single" or the most accessible thing on the forthcoming album.

Vampire Weekend have, a few days ago, gone with 4 "singles" from Father of the Bride. It's standard practice now. Spotify ends up deciding what the "best" song on an album is. That's how On Melancholy Hill became such a pretty big gradual hit, the defining song of Phase 3 and absolutely a song that a lot of folk know and love. It remains to be seen if anything off Humanz or The Now Now will have that resonance. Possibly not. Andromeda probably did deserve the big budget video ahead of Saturnz Barz. Damon was, I expect, gambling on the potential crossover appeal of Popcaan.

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 May 2019, 15:37

Do singles really exist anymore? I know in the 90's it was typical of having a lead single followed by 2-3 more singles over the course of the year.

The artists I listen to either drop the whole album all at once or release songs as and when they make them and overtime this then becomes a collection of songs / album.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 07 May 2019, 15:41

Only in vinyl form. In record shops. I bought Sleeper's two 7" releases on coloured vinyl in my local record shop on Cowley Road.
I was hoping TGTB&TQ would do the same as with gorillaz last year. Sadly not.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 May 2019, 15:58

Mark72 wrote:
07 May 2019, 15:41
Only in vinyl form. In record shops. I bought Sleeper's two 7" releases on coloured vinyl in my local record shop on Cowley Road.
I was hoping TGTB&TQ would do the same as with gorillaz last year. Sadly not.
To me it's not an issue but clearly it is for other people. Having said that it is nice to have the option of a physical release + music video but what I am trying to say is that spreading out the singles when the album has already dropped seems a little old fashioned and there probably isn't any money for it. For me the lead single for Humanz was Saturnz Barz, we got the music video but the choice of lead single is probably up for debate. Hallelujah Money was a tease song for the album, there is quotes somewhere but it basically says that the song was already available and coincidentally some of the lyrics were closely related to what was happening at the time.

I think what tends to happen is the powers that be will release a number of songs or the whole album so people can get a feel for it and that gives them the indication of what has a bit of traction and then they can if they want go for a bigger campaign judged on the publics perception.

If you think back to 1995 the record label was torn between stereotypes and country house for lead single. It seems blooming obvious now but if things were different our perception of the two songs would be completely different.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 07 May 2019, 17:58

Yeah it is weird how a song can be tainted by air play, promotion etc Country House isn’t a song I go to often as it feels like it carries baggage from the whole Blur/Oasis thing but when you try and listen to it stripping its history and mental images of the music video, it is a very well crafted song and deserved to chart higher than Roll With It (bad choice from Oasis). I thing it is difficult to separate all that, but it is a very good song in my opinion and was wowed by it when Radio 1 played it for the very first time.

JackS

Post by JackS » 09 May 2019, 05:29

The problem I have is that having a good portion of the album available before release takes away from album release day

I remember by the time TMW came out we had multiple songs available as well.. I think Go out, Lonesome St, MTH, I Broadcast and one other maybe Ong Ong - all streaming before the release day

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 May 2019, 05:51

northernmonkey - yes, I agree with your comments about 'Country House'.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."