Blur Live albums

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TracyJosh

Blur Live albums

Post by TracyJosh » 09 Mar 2019, 09:49

Is it just me or is the All the people and Parklive live albums really rubbish quality? I struggle to get into them at all if I'm honest and I love a live album! Live at the Budokan is probably the Blur album I've listened to the most the past few years. The entire performance on Live at the Budokan just sounds so much cleaner. It's not that the performance on the later live albums are bad, but Live at the Budokan is just soo tight performance wise and the recording is so clear, it's possible they did some studio overdubbing?

All the people and Parklive just sound like bootlegs in comparison. Too much crowd noise(I understand that's unavoidable to a degree as they were massive gigs), and the instruments sound quite poorly mixed.

Really wish they did a proper Live album at some point around S/T and 13 same quality as Live at the Budokan!

TristramShandy

Re: Blur Live albums

Post by TristramShandy » 09 Mar 2019, 10:20

I agree that both All The People and Parklive have an apalling sound quality. If my memory serves me well, on the footage of Parklive you can see Alex changing his bass in the middle of one of the first songs (broken string?), and the sound is so muddy it's not even noticeable that the bass has gone!

Also such a shame that they edited Caramel: I highly suspect they cut some bits out, the pace is not consistent towards the end of the song.

My reference in terms of sound quality would be this live at Wembley 1999 that came as CD2 to The Best Of. Crystal clear. A bit short, tho.

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Mar 2019, 09:36

I know nothing about recording but sometimes they take the sound direct from the soundboard and it sounds completely different.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

PaulG

Post by PaulG » 11 Mar 2019, 10:43

Yeah, the 'All the People' sound quality is dire. I remember a lot of people kicking off about it when these were released. I'm not sure if it's a mastering issue or down to how it was recorded at the time.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 11 Mar 2019, 16:51

I believe both of those albums (or maybe just Parklive?) were available as soon as the gig was over, I think through Abbey Road's "Live Here Now" or something like that. I remember it was the same case for Damon's live albums with The Heavy Seas at the Royal Albert Hall. While it's cool that they are able to do that so quickly, it seems they sacrifice sound quality in the process.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 12 Mar 2019, 12:43

Live at the Budokan quality is fantastic, so clear and every instrument comes out in the recording. I was furious when I got the 2009 Hyde Park CD and the only thing that made up for this was it included on the NDLTR DVD (much better sound). I thought Parklive was much better, but there was a little too much noise from the crowd and surroundings, came across a bit shouty 😀

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 13 Mar 2019, 01:02

Yea it was probably straight from the board with very little tweaks. Basically a good quality bootleg.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 15 Mar 2019, 12:18

What are the best quality Live bootlegs from over the years would you all say?

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 22 Jun 2019, 20:06

Sawdust Seizures (bits of Glasto 94) was really clear. The commercially pressed boots of the 90's were mostly good.