Symbols on the Cover Art of Colours

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

loveinthe90s

Symbols on the Cover Art of Colours

Post by loveinthe90s » 29 Jan 2019, 14:41

Has anyone matched the 25 symbols on the cover art of Colours http://www.vblurpage.com/discography/fa ... olours.htm with the 25 songs recorded in Think Tank era?

TristramShandy

Re: Symbols on the Cover Art of Colours

Post by TristramShandy » 29 Jan 2019, 20:37

Yeah, I've been trying to do that some time ago, but without much success...

(1) is obviously Ambulance. :P
(6) should be Caravan...
For (5), if I remember well, there was an unissued track named Chicken & Fries, could be that...
I thought there was one with an obvious character falling into a hole, which I thought was On The Way To The Club obviously... But I cannot find it now... (3) maybe?
Last guess: Jets for (11). :)

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 30 Jan 2019, 01:56

Waaaaaitwut?

I've never even zoomed in on this let alone realised it was a (vague) map of all those old Think Tank session songs. Unreal.

I'm a bit of an unheard, unreleased song nerd. And I think we all find the time roughly before Think Tank and up until about Westway to be pretty interesting – proposed 'punk' EPs, gigs cancelled the night before, more sprawling and worldly influenced songs. Whether a lot happened or not much at all, either way there's a trove out there we will probably never get to hear or read about.

Anyway, do we know any unreleased track titles from that era? Do we know the extra few songs recorded? Chicken & Fries?!

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 30 Jan 2019, 02:34

TristramShandy wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 20:37
For (5), if I remember well, there was an unissued track named Chicken & Fries, could be that...
Chicken & Fries?! I've never heard about it before… Thanks for the info! It seems the only one everyone agrees on is Ambulance lol. I saw several people saying (9) is Good Song but I couldn't see why…

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 30 Jan 2019, 03:26

Pavlich wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 01:56
Anyway, do we know any unreleased track titles from that era? Do we know the extra few songs recorded? Chicken & Fries?!
Apart from the 14 tracks (including Me, White Noise) on the album, there are B-Sides: Money Makes Me Crazy, Tune 2, The Outsider, Don't Be, Morricone, Some Glad Morning and rarities from the Blur 21 box: Sir Elton John's Cock, Avoid The Traffic, Don't Bomb When You're The Bomb, Nutter, Piano. That's 25 tracks already, but Colours isn't one of them while It's marked on the cover that (20) is obviously Colours itself. So there must be tracks recorded in that era not registered on the cover as symbols, and there must be tracks registered as symbols but remain unreleased… I feel as if I'm telling a tongue twister here…

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 30 Jan 2019, 09:32

There was also Saturday, unfinished (at least when Damon was talking about it in one of post TT interviews) "very commercial track"

loveinthe90s wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 02:34
I saw several people saying (9) is Good Song but I couldn't see why…
This one is easy - this symbol is on Good Song promo cover

Meaning of some of them was revealed in Blurb:

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 30 Jan 2019, 14:21

lumaka wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 09:32
Meaning of some of them was revealed in Blurb:

Ahh right! It's Blurb! I vaguely remember I've seen the symbols key somewhere but didn't realise it was Blurb, thought I dreamt it up lol. Thanks!

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 01 Feb 2019, 10:19

Never seen this before, cool!

Seems almost like a mood chart they made for the songs early on in the sessions.

I think 'Chicken & Fries' is probably what became 'Don't be'. Given the song starts with Damon repeatedly saying "chicken and, chicken and, chicken and friieess".

Not read the particular interview where Damon mentions a song called 'Saturday', but I'm willing to hedge my bets on it being 'Crazy Beat'. Particularly if he noted it being 'commercial'. It's strange, it is a very commercial sounding song, particularly given the time it came out, but it's just such a bloody rubbish tune :lol:

stephen

Post by stephen » 01 Feb 2019, 10:43

Ah man we did this years ago. I don't think it's possible to get them all.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 01 Feb 2019, 14:04

stephen wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 10:43
Ah man we did this years ago. I don't think it's possible to get them all.
I did come across an article where the blogger claimed he used to know them all but had forgotten a few though…

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 02 Feb 2019, 17:23

TracyJosh wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 10:19
I think 'Chicken & Fries' is probably what became 'Don't be'. Given the song starts with Damon repeatedly saying "chicken and, chicken and, chicken and friieess".
Well spotted! It makes perfect sense.
I just don't know how I remembered this unissued track title, it was something I must have read somewhere, and kept in mind for more than fifteen years, wow... :D

JackS

Post by JackS » 05 Feb 2019, 11:09

TracyJosh wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 10:19
Never seen this before, cool!

Seems almost like a mood chart they made for the songs early on in the sessions.

Not read the particular interview where Damon mentions a song called 'Saturday', but I'm willing to hedge my bets on it being 'Crazy Beat'. Particularly if he noted it being 'commercial'. It's strange, it is a very commercial sounding song, particularly given the time it came out, but it's just such a bloody rubbish tune :lol:
He’d said post release that Saturday didn’t make it on the album and was radio friendly (think he actually said something like it would be a radio hit). Always figured it was Some Glad Morning as that had plenty of hooks.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 10 Feb 2019, 12:15

So Some Glad Morning was discussed today in Blur Fan Club Facebook group and… ta-dah! it's the chicken song!

(thx István!)

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Feb 2019, 14:10

There we go then. Saturday still remains unreleased.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good