Beach Boys Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Jan 2019, 03:52

Styopa wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 17:01
I also had some problems getting into Smiley Smile, but (as suggested by Louis above) it really needs to be divorced from Smile to appreciate it. That ins't easy to do when you come to Smiley smile after having hearing the Smile sessions - Smile after all is this huge, intricate, epic song cycle meticulously orchestrated where everything has its place, whereas Smiley Smile aims at something completely different - it sounds lazy and amateurish by comparison. However I started to appreciate it a lot more when I started listening to it on its own merits - as a low key, lo-fi precursor to indie. A wonky, playful, stoner record. It probably shares as much in common with works by the likes of Pavement as it does with Pet Sounds.
Exactly.... At the time of "Smiley Smile" release even Carl Wilson said that it was "a bunt instead of a grand slam" and that is an excellent analogy. If "Smile" was released in later 1966 as intended, it might have received a lot of acclaim but don't know if the masses would have fully embraced it. It might have aged well, but "Smiley Smile" still continues to get better w/age. Have you checked out their other later 60s-early 70s releases?

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 15 Jan 2019, 16:36

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 03:52
Exactly.... At the time of "Smiley Smile" release even Carl Wilson said that it was "a bunt instead of a grand slam" and that is an excellent analogy. If "Smile" was released in later 1966 as intended, it might have received a lot of acclaim but don't know if the masses would have fully embraced it. It might have aged well, but "Smiley Smile" still continues to get better w/age. Have you checked out their other later 60s-early 70s releases?
Yes I've checked out some of them. My thoughts: Friends I think is great and works really well as an album as a whole. It's got a lovely feel to it and is strong right the way through. Sunflower and Surf's Up are perhaps like consistent but arguably have higher individual moments - This Whole World and Forever on the former and on the latter Till I Die - one of Brian's best songs and comparable with the best stuff by the Beatles in my opinion. Obviously the title track Surf's Up on the Surf's Up album too, another of Brian's best compositions, although modern listeners might associate that song more with the Smile Sessions. Love You is also excellent and an album I enjoy listening to all the way through - a good mixture of some really upbeat, uptempo tracks at the beginning of the album followed by a suite of slower, more romantic songs on the second half. Again there are some real highlights on the album that in my opinion stand up against anything Brian has ever done namely The Night Was So Young and I'll Bet he's Nice.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Jan 2019, 01:19

Styopa wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 16:36

Yes I've checked out some of them. My thoughts: Friends I think is great and works really well as an album as a whole. It's got a lovely feel to it and is strong right the way through. Sunflower and Surf's Up are perhaps like consistent but arguably have higher individual moments - This Whole World and Forever on the former and on the latter Till I Die - one of Brian's best songs and comparable with the best stuff by the Beatles in my opinion. Obviously the title track Surf's Up on the Surf's Up album too, another of Brian's best compositions, although modern listeners might associate that song more with the Smile Sessions. Love You is also excellent and an album I enjoy listening to all the way through - a good mixture of some really upbeat, uptempo tracks at the beginning of the album followed by a suite of slower, more romantic songs on the second half. Again there are some real highlights on the album that in my opinion stand up against anything Brian has ever done namely The Night Was So Young and I'll Bet he's Nice.
What an excellent post! Have you ever checked-out "Wild Honey" and "20/20"? "20/20" was the first album that Brian really wasn't involved in, but it featured the strong emergence of his brother, Dennis. It was a rather disjointed effort as a whole, but has several wonderful tracks on it!

There's also "Carl & the Passions: So Tough" and "Holland" that are both splendid in quality!

Some of the better moments on "Surf's Up" belong to Carl, IE "Feel Flows" and then "Long Promised Road" really stands-out to me as well!

"Love You" was originally going to be Brian's first solo effort, but he nearly didn't finish it (would have suffered from the same fate as "Smile"), but this time both Dennis and Carl stepped-in and salvaged the album. I also love "Let Us Go On This Way"!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Jan 2019, 01:24

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 28 Jan 2019, 14:03

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 01:19
Styopa wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 16:36

What an excellent post! Have you ever checked-out "Wild Honey" and "20/20"? "20/20" was the first album that Brian really wasn't involved in, but it featured the strong emergence of his brother, Dennis. It was a rather disjointed effort as a whole, but has several wonderful tracks on it!

There's also "Carl & the Passions: So Tough" and "Holland" that are both splendid in quality!

Some of the better moments on "Surf's Up" belong to Carl, IE "Feel Flows" and then "Long Promised Road" really stands-out to me as well!

"Love You" was originally going to be Brian's first solo effort, but he nearly didn't finish it (would have suffered from the same fate as "Smile"), but this time both Dennis and Carl stepped-in and salvaged the album. I also love "Let Us Go On This Way"!
I've listened to Holland quite a bit over the last week - there's some really great songs on there. It's also very different to what I imagine people commonly expect the Beach Boys to sound like. It shows what great range they had. Wild Honey and 20/20 I've listened to a bit - I'll give them some more time this week. Carl and the Passions I'll also give a go this week. What has really surprised me is what a great albums band the Beach Boys really were! Everyone thinks of Pet Sounds (and possibly Smile) and rightly so. But from the late 60s to mid 70s they produced at least half a dozen albums ranging from very good to great. Albums that would stand up in any artist's discography. Not to mention Dennis's solo album which is a classic!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Jan 2019, 08:18

Styopa wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 14:03

I've listened to Holland quite a bit over the last week - there's some really great songs on there. It's also very different to what I imagine people commonly expect the Beach Boys to sound like. It shows what great range they had. Wild Honey and 20/20 I've listened to a bit - I'll give them some more time this week. Carl and the Passions I'll also give a go this week. What has really surprised me is what a great albums band the Beach Boys really were! Everyone thinks of Pet Sounds (and possibly Smile) and rightly so. But from the late 60s to mid 70s they produced at least half a dozen albums ranging from very good to great. Albums that would stand up in any artist's discography. Not to mention Dennis's solo album which is a classic!
"Holland" was the last album (besides "Love You") that featured the Beach Boys being really innovated. They added Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar from the South African band, Flame to the line-up starting in 1972 during the "Carl And The Passions:So Tough" sessions and both contributed immensely to the prior the aforementioned album and also on "Holland". Brian wrote "Sail On, Sailor" which was intended for Dennis to sing lead vocals on, but Dennis apparently decided to surf instead, so Blondie ended-up doing the lead vocals instead and played bass on that track as well. Dennis wrote "Steamboat" and Carl continued his strong writing w/"the Trader" and even his son said "hi" in the beginning! Dennis also wrote "Only With You" and Mike Love with Al Jardine were the main writers behind the "California Saga" trilogy. Brian's other main piece was "Funky Pretty" and Chaplin/Fataar helped pen "Leaving This Town".

I bet you have been or will be blown away by "Carl and The Passions: So Tough"..... Nothing like they've ever recorded, very straight-edge rock on that one with mixed in with some soul, gospel oriented, with a trace of country western/blues and both Blondie and Ricky had a strong influence on there as well.

Dennis had so much potential but he began losing his voice and it really ruined his confidence. "Pacific Ocean Blue" was BEYOND brilliant and "Bamboo" (which was going to be his 2nd release) was poised for greatness as well, but that's when he began to spiral out of control between then and his 12/28/1983 passing. Such a shame because he had so much more to offer and we were all denied/deprived of that reality!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Mar 2019, 00:45

I could have included this in quite a few threads, but he was at his best during the "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" sessions... RIP, Hal Blaine! https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/m ... GXB7VEFjnE

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Mar 2019, 06:10

Yes, the amount of records he played on was quite something.

They were playing some on BBC 6Music yesterday. At the time I was listening, these included the 'Batman' TV theme, and 5th Dimension 'Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In'.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Jul 2019, 05:30

The Beach Boys over the past few years have released on Spotify, youtube, and other social media outlets compilations of some of their albums of unreleased takes, demos, and tracks along w/live ones... I really love how raw this performance of "Surfin" was...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbBGFFV0XA

Unfortunately, Brian and I believe Dennis were both tripping on acid at the time!