Starshaped the tour - anyone been?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

Starshaped the tour - anyone been?

Post by Neal Zeal » 06 Aug 2017, 14:03

It's named after a Blur song but not a Blur member in sight!
I went to the London Forum show last night.
Only watched two of the bands (as I didn't much like the others) - My Life Story and Sleeper.
I've seen MLS loads over the years - they were as great as always (but just the lead singer now backed by session musicians).
But Sleeper were a revelation. Louise W is a musical goddess! Amazing woman. She wrote nearly all the songs (words and music), plays guitar, and has a lovely singing voice. I've never seen a singer so humbled at a live show before. She couldn't believe the reception her songs were getting, and never stopped beaming and thanking us.
I've only got the 'It Girl' album - must check out other stuff...

Mark72

Re: Starshaped the tour - anyone been?

Post by Mark72 » 06 Aug 2017, 18:07

I was going to this, but had to sell My ticket for this years Glastonbury (I got the last minute resale).

Sleeper I love. Had The IT girl,Smart and Pleased to me you. Saw them twice in the '90s. Once supporting blur and in their own right at the Astoria II in 1995!
great little band. I won a competition on face book last week and won these buttons(https://twitter.com/Markbastin72/status ... 0828788736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) !!well chuffed!

Hoping they do an addtional date to the 2nd of december gig , As I'm off to see the gorillaz on that date and would so love to see them again for old times sake!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Aug 2017, 05:22

Neal Zeal wrote:But Sleeper were a revelation. Louise W is a musical goddess! Amazing woman.
I am glad that Louise Wener (& Sleeper) are getting some accolades now. People who enjoyed music in that period will remember them fondly.

I bought the three albums that Mark72 mentions - to be honest, those albums were fairly routine overall, but Sleeper always had infectious singles and were a favourite band of mine :D

They were good live IIRC and ticket stubs remind me that I saw them at least twice, at Newcastle University, Students Union in 1995 and at Middlesbrough Town Hall in 1996 with Mansun as support.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 Dec 2018, 04:50

Sleeper have a new single out. BBC 6Music giving it airplay.

I must say though, I find the song a bit routine. :|

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 10 Dec 2018, 01:24

I wasn't super impressed by the new single either. However, I am still planning on seeing them at the O2 Forum Kentish Town! Anyone else?

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie » 10 Dec 2018, 07:52

I saw Sleeper in Newcastle this year and they were great. Am going to see them again in March.
Must admit that the new single hasn’t grabbed me just yet. Hopefully it’s a grower.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Dec 2018, 19:10

A likeable band, and glad that they are doing good live shows.