TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Live Performances Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

stephen

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Live Performances Thread

Post by stephen » 23 Nov 2018, 16:05

Bounces are all brawn and no brains.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

rich

Post by rich » 24 Nov 2018, 01:33

tom_cas1 wrote:Enjoy the rehearsal to those who are going! Audio is probably out of the question unless someone sneakily records it but some photos would be incredible if possible!

Rich - glad you got other things signed other than this new album. I remember going to the Gorillaz "Rise of the Ogre" book signing on Oxford Street in 2006 with a bunch of Blur vinyls I was hoping to get signed. I wanted Democrazy signed above all others, but a large bouncer was stood behind Damon and told me no even though Damon said he didn't mind signing them. The bouncer insisted he couldn't which has always confused me, considering Damon was more than willing. Glad things were more relaxed for you yesterday!
Hi Tom - yes the signing was pretty relaxed - only 100 people got to go, and 'security' consisted of the guys from Rough Trade West and a couple of nice women from 11mgt. I heard later that people were told not to ask for additional signings, and that one person with a stack of stuff in his arms was told off! But I had my bits in a black record bag - so not on obvious display. When I got to the desk I whipped out the LP sleeve and artwork from the boxset I'd received the day before (ie not the cd I'd had to buy to attend the event) and the band were happy to sign both. Then I asked Damon if he wouldn't mind signing my Don't Bomb and TIAL promo. He was pleased to do - and took evident care over what he wrote on Bomb. Tony was about to sign them too, but Simon said "you don't need to do that Tony, it's blur stuff"!

Going to this afternoon's rehearsal was a rare privilege :)

Sarm Music Bank is an anonymous industrial unit in a nondescript industrial park 10 mins walk from North Acton. After hanging about in the cold outside for a while we were ushered into its Tardis-like interior and into a rectangular rehearsal room. The band's gear took up half the room. Carpets on the floor in front, gear boxes round the back and sides, one sofa at the back, mixing desk in the corner, crew and hangers on hanging about. Being the old git that I am I sat on the sofa :) , with the kids sitting on the carpetsin front of the mikes. Although I was at the back, I was still only 20 feet or so from the set!

The band walked on - Damon, Paul, Simon and Tony - Mike on keys, a percussionist, the Demon Strings on - er - strings. Damon explained it was a rehearsal so they might stop and start again occasionally. The then played the whole Merrie Land album through, in track order. They took great care over the start of Merrie Land (they'd fluffed it on Lamcq the other day, remember). The recorders in Gun to the Head are now embedded in Mike's keys, so Damon is spared his primary school music teacher bit! They had to start 1917 again, with Damon saying "Let Tony start, then you come in!" These percussive beginnings are obviously quite tricky! They played through The Great Fire without issue. Damon apologised for not being Welsh as he attempted the choir finale on Lady Boston on his own. A guy on penny whistle joined them for Drifters and Trawlers - that worked well but he was left hanging about as the band segued into The Truce of Twilight. I'm sure this stagecraft will be sorted when they go live though!

There's a complete change of mood for Ribbons with Damon strapping on his acoustic guitar. I couldn't quite see if it's gained any more strings than we used to see, possibly he now sports a full set. This was the highlight for me. What a song, really cuts me up... :(

Then on to The Last Man To Leave - which I'm not sure quite works yet, with its shouty soliloquy intro - and finally The Poison Tree.

They concluded with 80's Life - comfortably, after the slight awkwardness of the new material. So we can expect to see at least 80's Life and 3 Changes (which they did on Lamacq) plus other earlier songs when the show hits the road (so 11mgt told me later), as well as the full ME set...

Highlights for me were Merrie Land, Gun to the Head, 1917, Ribbons and of course 80's Life. Then it was all over, we were ushered out, and home we went. What an amazing afternoon, if slightly surreal...

and yes - no recording, videoing, or photography during the rehearsal, or we would have been 'asked to leave'. But I snuk a pic of the set on the way out, with Paul's Blackpool Pier backdrop...

Last edited by rich on 24 Nov 2018, 02:09, edited 4 times in total.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Nov 2018, 02:03

rich wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Enjoy the rehearsal to those who are going! Audio is probably out of the question unless someone sneakily records it but some photos would be incredible if possible!

Rich - glad you got other things signed other than this new album. I remember going to the Gorillaz "Rise of the Ogre" book signing on Oxford Street in 2006 with a bunch of Blur vinyls I was hoping to get signed. I wanted Democrazy signed above all others, but a large bouncer was stood behind Damon and told me no even though Damon said he didn't mind signing them. The bouncer insisted he couldn't which has always confused me, considering Damon was more than willing. Glad things were more relaxed for you yesterday!
Hi Tom - yes the signing was pretty relaxed - only 100 people got to go, and 'security' consisted of the guys from Rough Trade West and a couple of nice women from 11mgt. I heard later that people were told not to ask for additional signings, and that one person with a stack of stuff in his arms was told off! But I had my bits in a black record bag - so not on obvious display. When I got to the desk I whipped out the LP sleeve and artwork from the boxset I'd received the day before (ie not the cd I'd had to buy to attend the event) and the band were happy to sign both. Then I asked Damon if he wouldn't mind signing my Don't Bomb and TIAL promo. He was pleased to do - and took evident care over what he wrote on Bomb. Tony was about to sign them too, but Simon said "you don't need to do that Tony, it's blur stuff"!

Going to this afternoon's rehearsal was a rare privilege :)

Sarm Music Bank is an anonymous industrial unit in a nondescript industrial park 10 mins walk from North Acton. After hanging about in the cold outside for a while we were ushered into its Tardis-like interior and into a rectangular rehearsal room about the size of a school basketball court. The band's gear took up half the room. carpets on the floor in front, gear boxes round the back and sides, one sofa at the back, mixing desk in the corner, crew and hangers on hanging about. Being the old git that I am I sat on the sofa :) , with the kids sitting on the floor in front of the mikes. Although I was at the back, I was still only 20 feet from the 'stage'!

The band walked on - Damon, Paul, Simon and Tony - Mike on keys, a percussionist, the Demon Strings on - er - strings. Damon explained it was a rehearsal so they might stop and start again occasionally. The then played the whole Merrie Land album through, in track order. They took great care over the start of Merrie Land (they'd fluffed it on Lamcq the other day, remember). The recorders in Gun to the Head are now embedded in Mike's keys, so Damon is spared his primary school music teacher bit! They had to start 1917 again, with Damon saying "Let Tony start, then you come in!" These percussive beginnings are obviously quite tricky! They played through The Great Fire without issue. Damon apologised for not being Welsh as he attempted the choir finale on Lady Boston on his own. A guy on penny whistle joined them for Drifters and Trawlers - that worked well but he was left hanging about as the band segued into The Truce of Twilight. I'm sure this stagecraft will be sorted when they go live though!

There's a complete change of mood for Ribbons with Damon strapping on his acoustic guitar. I couldn't quite see if it's gained any more strings than we used to see, possibly he now sports a full set. This was the highlight for me. What a song, really cuts me up... :(

Then on to The Last Man To Leave - which I'm not sure quite works yet, with its shouty soliloquy intro - and The Poison Tree.

They concluded with 80's Life - comfortably, after the slight awkwardness of the new material. So we can expect to see this number, 3 Changes (which they did on Lamacq) and other earlier songs (so 11mgt told me later) when the show hits the road, as well as the full ME set...

Highlights for me were Merrie Land, Gun to the Head, 1917, Ribbons and of course 80's Life...

Then it was all over, we were ushered out, and home we went...
Very cool Rich, colour me jealous! That must have been one hell of an experience. Especially the album from start to finish. Wow! Thanks for sharing that with us. :)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

rich

Post by rich » 24 Nov 2018, 02:10

I've updated it a bit since you quoted me,with added pic... :) :)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Nov 2018, 02:52

Love the photo. Have you seen Instagram? They uploaded on there too which must have been taken mic-rehearsal.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 24 Nov 2018, 07:29

Truce of Twlight live at Steve Lamaq show from Studio 13? AMAZING. I can't get over that song and the album. I've probably already repeated my self.

liking For Tomorrow and completely dismissing Merrie Land just doesn't make sense.. You are trying to hard. unless you are into that Coldplay, Shed Steven and Muse thing. Seems like Liam Gallagher's 'Frozen in britpop' is more of your thing.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 24 Nov 2018, 08:22

Great report from the rehearsal gig, thanks Rich!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 24 Nov 2018, 08:22

Thank you Rich for so detailed report, I'm also incredibly jealous but very very happy for you at the same time! Ribbons must be cracking live, I'm also very curious to hear The Last Man To Leave - I believe Damon can turn it in something memorable.
Some guy filmed one minute of Lady Boston, we didn't share it via DAU, because we thought it's not OK since recording wasn't allowed, but if anyone want to see it was reposted here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqiUj9GhMFw/ (it's not on Twitter anymore because the guy who shared it was asked by GBQ to delete it, but you know, anything on the Internet stays there forever).

Tom, I've seen many photos from Rough Trade Merrie Land signing and I can't tell you that Rich wasn't the only one who got signed other stuff - some people had The Clash, Verve and Tony Allen vinyls. There was also this guy with an old tabloid article on Blur :mrgreen:
Last edited by lumaka on 24 Nov 2018, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 24 Nov 2018, 08:42

Tomorrow The Good, The Bad & The Queen will perform live on The Andrew Marr Show on BBC One (10 AM GMT).

JackS

Post by JackS » 24 Nov 2018, 10:23

At the signing, I decided to play it safe and only ask for Merrie Land and the original GBQ album to be signed - band happy to do so but Tony did a wry smile when handed the original album and said "Well... this is a different thing... but ok"

Also managed to get in to the rehearsal yesterday! Sat near the front on the floor but my legs did not appreciate that half way through

Not much to add to Rich's detailed report other than stay tuned for Tommy during the shows, who does get a starring role...

Gun To The Head sounded AMAZING live, and I was underwhelmed with it on Jools Holland. Really powerful chorus now, almost shouted by Damon and Paul. Lady Boston gets a pleasant singalong "la la la" outro now too in place of the welsh. Almost Blur-esque :)

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 24 Nov 2018, 10:33

JackS wrote:stay tuned for Tommy during the shows, who does get a starring role...
Wow, I'm super curious to see it :-)

So how many people were there in the audience, +/- 20?

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Nov 2018, 11:06

Thank you so much Rich for your post. Its really making me feel excited for the 5th in Hackney.
I'll try and post a couple of photos of the gig on here if I can remember how.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

JackS

Post by JackS » 24 Nov 2018, 11:27

lumaka wrote:
JackS wrote:stay tuned for Tommy during the shows, who does get a starring role...

I counted about 40, plus a few crew. Sort of 3 rows of us sat cross legged on the floor on some old rugs :D

rich

Post by rich » 24 Nov 2018, 22:04

lumaka wrote:

No more than 50 (25 and their +1s)...

edit
happy to accept JackS's proper headcount :) :) so that's 40 audience plus crew/management!!
actually 41 audience (40 on floor plus me on the sofa) :D

rich

Post by rich » 25 Nov 2018, 16:41

lumaka wrote:Tomorrow The Good, The Bad & The Queen will perform live on The Andrew Marr Show on BBC One (10 AM GMT).
Drifters and Trawlers!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... w-25112018
right at the end of the programme...