R.E.M. Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Mar 2018, 05:31

AdvertBreak wrote:Top 20 R.E.M. songs, except with the IRS songs removed because there wouldn't be many of them anyway and I don't want people to draw attention to that instead of everything else

20. Turn You Inside Out
19. Pop Song 89
18. Let Me In
17. Low
16. I've Been High
15. Belong
14. Try Not to Breathe
13. The Lifting
12. Orange Crush
11. Losing My Religion
10. Imitation of Life
9. Monty Got a Raw Deal
8. Why Not Smile
7. E-Bow the Letter
6. Leave
5. Hope
4. At My Most Beautiful
3. Nightswimming
2. Find the River
1. Near Wild Heaven
You're spot on including "AFTP" tracks! But no love for anything from "Monster" or am I the only one who has always loved that album?

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 03 Mar 2018, 13:23

Monster man here! :D "see above for details" :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Mar 2018, 14:28

Sledge Hammer wrote:Monster man here! :D "see above for details" :lol:

Oh wow... sorry that I overlooked that! :oops:

REM were forced to make "Monster" in order to keep on w/the Grunge scene at the time, but they also showed quite a bit of versatility in all the assortment of genres they covered on that c.d. "Strange Currencies", "Crush With Eyeliner", and "I Don't Sleep, I Dream" are my absolute favorite tracks.

Did they sell out w/"Monster"? Admittedly yes to a certain degree, but they would have flopped in retrospective if they continued with the sounds on the prior album. Essentially "Monster" is their "Blur (Self-Titled) if you think about it. Not saying obviously that Blur sold out in 1996/1997, but they had to reinvent themselves or else they would have been dismissed by the masses!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 Mar 2018, 20:57

I'm sorry but Monster doesn't do much for me. The self-conscious return to 'rock', glam hooks and glam aesthetic (Mike Mills especially), if I was there in 1994 I could see it as to some degree quite promising. But the record itself is short on what it wants to achieve for me. Some great tracks (What's the Frequency Kenneth is the most Britpop thing ever, Tongue is one of their most unique songs, Bang and Blame for its staccato tremolo verses and especially Let Me In for its drumless shoegaze fog), but it also misses the mark a lot where the tracks don't quite have the hooks and as such the Echobelly sound starts to become a bit monochrome. Not bad, but not as good as it could have been. The two Monster-like tracks on New Adventures (Wake Up Bomb and Undertow, both debuted on the Monster Tour) much better reach the attitude+loud guitars+hookiness they aimed for on Monster.

Here's an amusing article https://www.popmatters.com/117936-stran ... 42640.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Mar 2018, 13:57

I was a Senior in high school when "Monster" was initially released and I guess it will always have this sentimental allure to me, but true it hasn't aged well as their prior releases have. But at the time it was imperative they went into that direction or they might have been completely written-off like most of their contemporaries were who couldn't counter the Grunge movement.

I think though "I Don't Sleep, I Dream" could have been on most of their prior records and perhaps even "Strange Currencies"..... "Tongue" is very soulful and was their genius to include it "Monster" contrasting from the heavier tracks in the absolute perfect manner.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Mar 2018, 05:42

Sledge Hammer wrote:My biggest REM memory is Milton Keynes 1995, Blur were support but by then they had become massive eclipsing Rem (tickets booked 6 months in advance), and Blur that day were on fire and much better than REM (30 degree temps :o )

An REM fan down near the front at the beginning of Popscene tried to escape the mosh also commenting "what a load of shit" I made sure he got pushed back into the mosh :lol:

Chris Martin of Coldplay commented the gig in 2008: "I saw them play before R.E.M. and it was incredible. It was so incredible, in fact, that there was steam coming from the moshpit...."

Seems a lot of REM fans don't like Monster, that's my fave, was a big part my 94-97 britpop times, always picked a few tracks off it on the jukebox back in the day. 8-)
I bought 'Monster' and I thought it was reasonably good, taking a leaf out of the grunge book, and as Louie suggests it probably had to, otherwise they would have been 'Out of Time' quite literally :roll: :)

I understand also the 'similarity to Britpop', yet Britpop hadn't really established itself by the time of 'Monster'.

Though it was certainly establishing itself by the time of the Milton Keynes gig. The REM fan that Sledge Hammer describes was probably too mainstream for a Blur gig. Acts like REM were good when the indie was shoegazing, but when indie was dancing they lost their 'Tongue' ;)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Mar 2018, 14:14

I read during the "Monster" sessions that REM were on the verge of breaking-up which is why it probably wasn't up to REM standards, but still a solid product regardless.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Mar 2018, 02:05

Michael Stipes new solo song... http://www.nme.com/news/music/michael-s ... es-2272661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty impressive indeed!