TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Pavlich

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by Pavlich » 11 Nov 2017, 05:14

tom_cas1 wrote:I'm just looking forward to hearing that beautiful sound again. I know they're using a different producer this time around but I really liked the production on the first album. I could be in the minority though, but to me it adds to the overall feel of the band. Excellent on all levels.
Yeah the production is the best part of the album for me, has this slight crackle and it feels as though the levels are a little ramshackle. Instead of things being equal in the mix or certain parts standing out, it feels warbly and like some things are just more prominent... just because, not because they're the main instrument. It has this rickety feel to it, really nice and underrated. I personally feel the record is overrated but maybe I haven't given it enough time.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Nov 2017, 15:28

I'm really excited for Damon to return to English themes. I've always been fond of Damon's comments on Brexit, as he almost always falls on the same position politically as I, so that will be an interesting theme. But I'm also eager to see how northern England is going to influence this record.

Any guesses on release date? I could see it being a late 2018 release, but I feel there's more a chance of April 2019 as Damon has been obsessed with April releases. I wish it would be April 2018, but with Gorillaz continuing to be very active at least until the summer of next year, I highly doubt that would happen.

JackS

Post by JackS » 14 Nov 2017, 20:01

I’m a bit nervous about the Brexit reference. I know it is important someone makes topical, relevant music - but I hope he doesn’t get too overtly political in the music.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 14 Nov 2017, 22:01

Damon tends to keep his political statements at least somewhat shrouded. I don't think he's gonna be writing any Morrissey-esqe political lyrics where he says inflammatory statements point blank.

Liese

Post by Liese » 15 Nov 2017, 14:37

It's very unlikely he will be blunt and straightforward, so I am really looking forward to the political refences.

With Brexit being one topic, 29 March 2019 (Brexit-day) would be an obvious release date, wouldn't it? ;) It's a Thursday, though, so not likely for the UK. On the continent, at least in Germany, Friday 30 would work...
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 18 Nov 2017, 17:30

Liese wrote:With Brexit being one topic, 29 March 2019 (Brexit-day)
Wouldn't put it passed Damon. Looks more likely for a 2019 release, as The Gorillaz circus roll on into '18!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 21 Nov 2017, 12:53

From latest Q Magazine (Jan 2018) interview:

What are you looking forward to next year?

DA: The new The Good, The Bad & The Queen album, produced with Tony Visconti. I’m doing it at the moment. We have another session and we’ve done two weeks previously. Is he bringing something different? Of course! It’s Tony Visconti, it’s fucking awesome. And it’s the same line-up as last time around.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Nov 2017, 13:22

So he’s working on that album and a new Gorillaz album at the same time. Ideally both would need his full attention. I hope this album is good.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Liese

Post by Liese » 21 Nov 2017, 15:23

lumaka wrote:From latest Q Magazine (Jan 2018) interview:

What are you looking forward to next year?

DA: The new The Good, The Bad & The Queen album, produced with Tony Visconti. I’m doing it at the moment. We have another session and we’ve done two weeks previously. Is he bringing something different? Of course! It’s Tony Visconti, it’s fucking awesome. And it’s the same line-up as last time around.
This does not necessarily mean the album will be out in 2018. It might be sitting on a shelf for as long as it takes for him to spare the time for promo after the next leg of the Gorillaz tour. It might just mean that he is looking forward to working on it in 2018.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Nov 2017, 07:26

Yes, that would be a better way of doing it Liese.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Nov 2017, 09:38

Very true, The Magic Whip took two years to make an appearance from those '13 Hong Kong sessions. I'm going for a "brexit day" release in '19.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Liese

Post by Liese » 27 Nov 2017, 15:45

Mark72 wrote:Very true, The Magic Whip took two years to make an appearance from those '13 Hong Kong sessions. I'm going for a "brexit day" release in '19.
I hope record companies have their contingency plans up by then and do some pressings etc. on the continent too - I would hate to pay customs on every special release shipped from the UK... :lol:

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 28 Nov 2017, 06:13

Probably won't get double vinyl singles the next time around. Or actual b-sides. :cry:

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 03 Dec 2017, 11:43

In the new interview for El Pais Uruguay Damon says again that a new TGTBTQ is almost ready and it will be probably released next year. He also says that he'd like to play it live but the world tour is rather unlikely.

http://www.tvshow.com.uy/musica/damon-a ... acion.html

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 03 Dec 2017, 20:06

I really hope they at least do a tour similar to the one in 07. They covered England well (fitting, as they should do again), they did a good bit of Europe, and they did a short but sweet US tour. I'd love a US tour of the same size. But I'll be studying abroad in London in spring 2019, so hopefully I could catch them then if possible.

I wonder if they'll go for a similar aesthetic as they had in 07. I really liked the black suits n top hats.