TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Forever Low Man

Re: New The Good, The Bad and the Queen album

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 May 2017, 18:58

Sledge Hammer wrote: Blur did always move on and evolve, how must Graham feel when basically he seems to be last in line, even deleting his stuff from Gorillaz, Albarn/Coxon is the best thing Damon will ever do...and THATS A FACT!

Why The Good The Bad...next? he has Blur as a band who can do any genre. When did Damon put 100% into Blur with the original 4? 1999 a long time ago! because he certainly didn't put much into The Magic Whip, why cant he take 6 months and put 100% into Blur with Coxon/James/Rowntree?
because gbq has different people than blur and maybe

just maybe

its okay to work with different people
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 May 2017, 19:31

tom_cas1 wrote:With The Good, The Bad & The Queen they're almost a UK exclusive band. I know they played in the US in 2007 (a handful of tiny shows) and in Europe but the kind of band they are they could just limit a tour to the UK this time around and that's it. OR, of course, just release an album and not even play any shows. Anything is possible. So technically Damon wouldn't have to spend much time with them at all, if that's what people are worried about. If they just release an album and play zero shows I'll be just as happy. I've been dying to hear a second album since those rumours circulated in 2008(?).

Yeah and especially if the album is "Brexit" themed. My concern still is the gap in between albums. Can they reestablish that chemistry that worked so perfectly well the first time around? They were even better live (just from the footage I've seen on different websites). I feel they can be a solid jam band at times.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 03 May 2017, 19:47

Have just given the 1st album a re-listen...Kingdom Of Doom, Herculean, The good....10000 better than anything on Humanz.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 03 May 2017, 19:59

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:With The Good, The Bad & The Queen they're almost a UK exclusive band. I know they played in the US in 2007 (a handful of tiny shows) and in Europe but the kind of band they are they could just limit a tour to the UK this time around and that's it. OR, of course, just release an album and not even play any shows. Anything is possible. So technically Damon wouldn't have to spend much time with them at all, if that's what people are worried about. If they just release an album and play zero shows I'll be just as happy. I've been dying to hear a second album since those rumours circulated in 2008(?).

Yeah and especially if the album is "Brexit" themed. My concern still is the gap in between albums. Can they reestablish that chemistry that worked so perfectly well the first time around? They were even better live (just from the footage I've seen on different websites). I feel they can be a solid jam band at times.
I was fortunate to see them three times, once in 2006 and twice in 2007. Electric Proms at the Roundhouse was awesome but in the smaller venues in 2007 they were even better. Trinity in Bristol BLEW ME AWAY, especially when they swapped instruments on the last song and ROCKED Guns Of Brixton. Oh my god, I can FEEL the song right now. I have photos and videos from each show which I should put up sometime, but sadly the videos were taken on my old flip phone so are poor quality.

An album and a UK tour playing tiny venues would be perfect for the kind of band they are. O2? No. Sub-1000 venue? HELL YES.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 03 May 2017, 20:06

tom_cas1 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

I was fortunate to see them three times, once in 2006 and twice in 2007. Electric Proms at the Roundhouse was awesome but in the smaller venues in 2007 they were even better. Trinity in Bristol BLEW ME AWAY, especially when they swapped instruments on the last song and ROCKED Guns Of Brixton. Oh my god, I can FEEL the song right now. I have photos and videos from each show which I should put up sometime, but sadly the videos were taken on my old flip phone so are poor quality.

An album and a UK tour playing tiny venues would be perfect for the kind of band they are. O2? No. Sub-1000 venue? HELL YES.
Sounds brilliant!

rich

Post by rich » 03 May 2017, 20:30

Sledge Hammer wrote:
Sounds brilliant!
Absolutely! I saw them twice - including the fabled 'last gig' in the Hammersmith Palais...

...nice to agree with SH on something ;) ...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 03 May 2017, 20:43

The Pig's Nose ranks as one of my most memorable gig experiences ever. Those songs made me swoon when I heard them live that night.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 May 2017, 20:51

I forgot they did "Guns In Brixton".... been such a long time! That would be awesome if you reposted that gig some time.

What is next? Will Damon then want to do another "Rocket Juice and the Moon" album over returning to Blur? To me, that was the most disappointing of all of Damon's projects based upon potential!

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 03 May 2017, 21:43

I'm actually super excited for this as much as I was pre Humanz. first album was pretty much perfect.. Damon going back to his english roots in a folk way on top of this western clash style music was brilliant
hope damon goes back to that english folk lyrical and vocal style on the new album. not just in subject matter over top blue eyed soul like I can predict will happen.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 03 May 2017, 21:56

metalhipslop wrote:I'm actually super excited for this as much as I was pre Humanz. first album was pretty much perfect.. Damon going back to his english roots in a folk way on top of this western clash style music was brilliant
hope damon goes back to that english folk lyrical and vocal style on the new album. not just in subject matter over top blue eyed soul like I can predict will happen.
Yep, I'm excited at this, too. The GBQ album is probably up there in my top 3 of all Damon-related stuff.
I just hope he rediscovers his knack for a great melody. It's been a long time...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 03 May 2017, 22:35

The first TGTB&TQ album is second to only Demon Days when it comes to Damon's best ever albums. News of a second album makes me moist. Oooooooo.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 03 May 2017, 23:28

101reykjavik wrote:If I had to take a guess, it's because Damon is always looking to the next thing and spending six months on Blur won't cut it. If he spends six months writing / recording, the size of Blur's fan base then dictates a whole year of touring. So that's 1.5 years straight away. And that's a lot of touring and time away from family. I don't think he wants it that much any more. Can we be surprised? They're not lads in their 20s any more hungry to make it to number one or break a new market.
But is that true? I think it's agreed that Gorillaz have a larger world wide fan base, thus touring commitments would have to be time consuming with them surely?

Blur certainly didn't spend a year touring TMW, and 2015 was typically a gig every other week.

munch

Post by munch » 04 May 2017, 10:45

i think once gorillaz has popped out another album one day and damons all tired he will slide right back into blur and they'll start making the best, most interesting old man music of their careers
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 04 May 2017, 15:08

Damon is a scattergun, I think he likes playing live as much as he does the puzzle solving of putting together songs, experimenting with sounds, and collaborating with creative and musically diverse people. The big issue is he probably wakes up one morning and wants to perform songs from a project totally different to the one he's in now.

In some ways it's great he is the way he is, because he's ended up with two bands lots of people have fond relationships with, as well as smaller things that are interesting to good in their own right. In other ways he's lost his hunger and ego; it's obvious when Blur were 27 they wanted to be the biggest band possible and they put so much into it they ended up hating each other (as many artists do in situations like that, for many reasons). Now he has nothing to prove and unfortunately I think that's resulted in some sub par music, poor artistic choices, and some artistic dilution (did we need Humanz? It's a bloated album with a few half-good singles).

What's the month he takes off? May, October? If it's the latter then I'd love for him to make a chilly, wintery GB&Q record to go with the alienation and coldness of the Brexit choice and politics. He could get that done by say March if he wanted to pour four months into it. Then spend some time doing whatever else before jumping back in, possibly recharged, with GB&Q for a series of indoor and outdoor shows in the UK in summer – say a festival or two, something a little more niche like Latitude or even Field Day, and a run of a dozen concerts – then he could return.

It's actually interesting he has never been one for roadtesting music. I guess he likes the quest of unearthing sounds and structures himself but lots of bands get their heads full and need a tour in the middle of recording to actually realise what works in a track and what their approach should be... he's probably so volatile one day he'll go out in a pub in London and play a whole new album while the thing is being worked on in a studio a block away...

daii

Post by daii » 04 May 2017, 22:32

I'm looking forward this record, damon described it as "a soul version of parklife". That can't be bad. His voice fits so well that style, for example, I love "ghost ship" or "Go back"