TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Daysleeper

TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by Daysleeper » 10 Apr 2017, 12:54

Looks like this could finally happening, although it is Damon saying it.

Any new Blur material certainly looks a long way away at this stage, if there was to be any!

http://www.nme.com/news/music/good-bad- ... um-2043601

Update: See also these album-related discussion threads:
Merrie Land Live Performances
"Merrie Land" single
- Veikko

rich

Re: New The Good, The Bad and the Queen album

Post by rich » 10 Apr 2017, 13:09

Daysleeper wrote:Looks like this could finally happening, although it is Damon saying it.
Any new Blur material certainly looks a long way away at this stage, if there was to be any!
http://www.nme.com/news/music/good-bad- ... um-2043601
OK - so this is someone at the NME reading what someone at Consequences of Sound wrote when they read the Q article :roll:
up your arse music journalism as usual...

I know Damon loves multitasking but he wouldnt be silly enough to drop a new GBQ album on us just as Gorillaz is taking off again - or would he ;)
Last edited by rich on 10 Apr 2017, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Apr 2017, 15:13

I got very excited when I read that this morning, the only thing that I'd accept putting Blur off by another year is a new album from TGTG&TQ. Long overdue, 10 years since the debut! Can't believe it's been that long. Please please please! :D
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 10 Apr 2017, 15:42

New TGTG&TQ in 2019 (after 12 years, same gap as between TT and TMW), new Blur in 2021 (6 years after TMW, 30 years after Leisure). Seems perfectly possible to me :-)

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 10 Apr 2017, 16:22

rich wrote:I know Damon loves multitasking but he wouldnt be silly enough to drop a new GBQ album on us just as Gorillaz is taking off again - or would he ;)
The first GBQ didn't come too long after Demon Days, iirc..

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Apr 2017, 16:33

davidsutter wrote:
rich wrote:I know Damon loves multitasking but he wouldnt be silly enough to drop a new GBQ album on us just as Gorillaz is taking off again - or would he ;)
The first GBQ didn't come too long after Demon Days, iirc..
but damon worked on this album in 2004 and 90% material he deleted (only survived 2 tracks if i have a good memory...)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 10 Apr 2017, 21:15

I just can't believe it's 10 years ago. I loved that album, though I loved it live more. If Damon could pull off something similar I'd be in seventh heaven.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Apr 2017, 21:46

Ditto. And then a tour playing small venues like they did last time as well. The Bristol show was absolutely brilliant!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

munch

Post by munch » 12 Apr 2017, 10:41

id love this! but come on damon, let gorillaz actually happen first before you start talkin about other things :lol:
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

daii

Post by daii » 12 Apr 2017, 12:25

is Tony Visconti going to be the producer? damon said he is planning to work with him and paul simonon in "something"

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Apr 2017, 20:45

daii wrote:is Tony Visconti going to be the producer? damon said he is planning to work with him and paul simonon in "something"
I'd like to hope so, but who knows! That could easily be referring to something else, Damon's side project no. 1,034. The man doesn't stop.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 17 Apr 2017, 01:48

Damon must be the worst person from a marketing perspective (not that Eleven Management are any good themselves), constantly talking about his next projects when the current one is barely out... I guess that's what you get with a bloke with a bit of an ego, way too much time, a penchant for experimentation, a scattergun approach, and about five possible projects he could take up.

I haven't given a huge amount of time to the first album but I like the concept and think it is a very tidy little record, but I like the idea of it being a singular record, just nine songs and half an hour and that's that. Brexit is a nice starting point and keeps in line with the British concept album narrative, but eh, I like the idea of it being a one-off.

But I am someone who loved Everyday Robots and would love to see Damon do more as a solo artist, so...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Apr 2017, 20:28

Gorillaz is Damon as a solo artist though. I mean technically it's "Gorillaz" but he IS Gorillaz, he writes the songs.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 21 Apr 2017, 01:35

tom_cas1 wrote:Gorillaz is Damon as a solo artist though. I mean technically it's "Gorillaz" but he IS Gorillaz, he writes the songs.
But it's a different feel.

His voice is literally disappearing from more and more Gorillaz songs and the topics are generally political or involved in his beliefs, whereas Everyday Robots was totally autobiographical and simple and up and down. I'd love him to tackle a solo album in a way like Under The Westway or Fool's Day.

Gorillaz also has a hip hop bend and always will. It's also very aware of the fact it's a massive pop group and they're arena worthy, so of course he's going to put a different set of instruments and styles on it.

People just hate Everyday Robots.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 21 Apr 2017, 03:49

Everyday Robots had great songs, amazing melodies. The problem for me was the production... It should of just had Damon producing, but if it wasn't for Richard Russel (the producer) there would be no EDR... But it didn't need that production.. It should of been just Damon with a guitar and doing the plastic beats when seen fit. My favorite EDR is Fathers Daughters Son. and it's not even on the standard album. Who's choice was that? Richard's... So there you go
I personally didn't feel the need for a "Damon albarn solo album" ever since I heard Dr Dee. That is a way better album in my opinion even though it wasn't promoted well as a solo album it just felt more like Damon. Even though there isn't many just Damon songs on there , the songs without him singing you can feel he composed and felt strongly about. Amazing classical/folk style compositions on there. It's great.
Similar with Monkey and Plastic Beach. Just Damon doing what he wants, no bullshit. I also consider The Fall to be his most solo album ever, considering he did everything himself other than a few things like mixing... bobby and a couple guys on tour playing their respectful instruments. Other than Democrazy, it's the only album where I can picture Damon in a room by himself making these songs.

I like Everyday Robots but I still think Gorillaz is more of Damon being solo. Which is weird because EDR is technically Damon's solo album. It's hard to explain. Gorillaz showcases all his influences. It's not like Damon JUST got into hip hop and electronic music... Any blur fan knows he started out as a synth pop boy in his bedroom listening to stuff like THe Specials and Human League... then late 90's finding out about Tribe Called Quest and De La soul...
Like he said in an interview,"with Gorillaz he knows he can do whatever he wants with it" That freedom is very important And you can tell by listening to Gorillaz compared to Everyday Robots. It's a solo album in terms of it being autobiographical, thats it.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.