Albums for 2016

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

101reykjavik

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by 101reykjavik » 18 Oct 2016, 20:51

Quite an unusual performance for Later... with Jools, what with dancers and a fairly extravagant set I thought. Good though.

Miki

Post by Miki » 19 Oct 2016, 10:25

I've been listening to the three songs out from the album - High and Low, To Her Door (with Lindsey Buckingham on guitar) and Two Vines - and if the rest of the album is like those, it could quickly become one of my favourites this year.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Miki

Post by Miki » 21 Oct 2016, 01:21

I'm not a Lady Gaga fan... but I started listening to her new album to hear the song Beck co-wrote and ended up listening to the whole thing. I'm not familiar with her albums, I only know the hits played on the radio, but this record struck me as different. Seems like this time she wants to highlight her vocal and songwriting talent. The title track is a ballad (and if anything, Gaga's voice may be too powerful for this delicate song) and it's really pretty. There's a mixture of things - a bit of rock blues (Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age plays guitar in the opening track), a bit of pop, a bit of dance. The 'Beck' song it's a sort of reggae - it actually sounds a bit Ace of Base (with very allusive lyrics), and the track co-written with Father John Misty (aka Josh Tillman) is kind of folky (as you would expect from him). Million Reasons sounds like it could have been on a Taylor Swift record (or a Ryan Adams' :P ). There's also a duet with Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine in a battle of the uvulas - in a very soulful song. Come To Mama is a sort of Motown number that the Supremes could have recorded (explicit lyrics aside lol). As producer, Mark Ronson is all over this record. I can't tell how much of this is Gaga, and how much the several guests she has on the record (Kevin Parker of Tame Impala too) have influenced the sound of the record. For someone like Gaga, it's a strangely old fashion record, but I actually like it overall - especially Joanne, Million Reasons and Sinner's Prayer and the bonus track Grigio Girls, that has that country-pop vibe Taylor Swift does so well.

This is a record Madonna could have recorded, probably.

xdrake24

Post by xdrake24 » 23 Oct 2016, 14:34

Miki wrote:I'm not a Lady Gaga fan... but I started listening to her new album to hear the song Beck co-wrote and ended up listening to the whole thing. I'm not familiar with her albums, I only know the hits played on the radio, but this record struck me as different. Seems like this time she wants to highlight her vocal and songwriting talent. The title track is a ballad (and if anything, Gaga's voice may be too powerful for this delicate song) and it's really pretty. There's a mixture of things - a bit of rock blues (Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age plays guitar in the opening track), a bit of pop, a bit of dance. The 'Beck' song it's a sort of reggae - it actually sounds a bit Ace of Base (with very allusive lyrics), and the track co-written with Father John Misty (aka Josh Tillman) is kind of folky (as you would expect from him). Million Reasons sounds like it could have been on a Taylor Swift record (or a Ryan Adams' :P ). There's also a duet with Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine in a battle of the uvulas - in a very soulful song. Come To Mama is a sort of Motown number that the Supremes could have recorded (explicit lyrics aside lol). As producer, Mark Ronson is all over this record. I can't tell how much of this is Gaga, and how much the several guests she has on the record (Kevin Parker of Tame Impala too) have influenced the sound of the record. For someone like Gaga, it's a strangely old fashion record, but I actually like it overall - especially Joanne, Million Reasons and Sinner's Prayer and the bonus track Grigio Girls, that has that country-pop vibe Taylor Swift does so well.

This is a record Madonna could have recorded, probably.
This, for Lady Gaga, the hits in the past (Bad Romance, PokerFace, Telephone ect.) I always found catchy but I never found myself looking beyond that. However this time I heard Million Reasons and Perfect Illuison and I found myself actually downloading them. Is the rest of the album worth checking out? if beck is on it it must be good

Miki

Post by Miki » 23 Oct 2016, 15:44

Perfect Illusion, imo, is the weakest track on the album, so if you think that's good, you should like the others even better. The album has split fans opinions, as it is a departure for her from her more flamboyant output. She cited Bruce Springsteen as one of her influences, and you can certainly hear where she's coming from. Joanne, Million Reasons and Sinner's Prayer (co-written with Father John Misty) are my favourite songs. The latter especially benefits from Gaga's more restrained vocals, that gives the track e more expressive tone. Beck's contribution was to co-write Dancing in Circles, but his presence would go unnoticed if you didn't know he collaborated. A commentator on Amazon wrote that "the impression which Joanne evokes is one of the person behind the persona." I'd say that's a perceptive comment.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 23 Oct 2016, 17:05

I came to here to express how surprised I was with the Lady Gaga's new record and happy to find out that I'm not the only one :) I didn't listen to her other albums, but I kind of dig a couple of songs on Johanne and her forays into other ventures other than pop music - like her collaboration with Tony Bennett.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

xdrake24

Post by xdrake24 » 23 Oct 2016, 17:40

weakest on the album eh? well, that's certainly good to hear that it gets better from there! I might have to check it out in full one day

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 25 Oct 2016, 05:28

Her image is 'style over substance', therefore ardent music fans don't expect much from Lady Gaga.

Though I don't doubt that she can get the right people to make a good album. Just as Madonna and Robbie Williams were/are able to.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 26 Oct 2016, 06:58

New Korn and Twelve Foot Ninja albums are good.

Miki

Post by Miki » 26 Oct 2016, 22:51

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Her image is 'style over substance', therefore ardent music fans don't expect much from Lady Gaga.
She is an accomplished musician, though. She certainly can play the piano and the guitar.

Miki

Post by Miki » 26 Oct 2016, 23:04

xdrake24 wrote:weakest on the album eh? well, that's certainly good to hear that it gets better from there! I might have to check it out in full one day
This is an interesting version of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrsO0B0LVbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Nov 2016, 07:25

Miki wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Her image is 'style over substance', therefore ardent music fans don't expect much from Lady Gaga.
She is an accomplished musician, though. She certainly can play the piano and the guitar.
I can quite believe she can do an album credible to serious music fans. Just as Madonna turned from lightweight pop to serious artist in the 90s.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

xdrake24

Post by xdrake24 » 02 Nov 2016, 13:08

Miki wrote:
xdrake24 wrote:weakest on the album eh? well, that's certainly good to hear that it gets better from there! I might have to check it out in full one day
This is an interesting version of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrsO0B0LVbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This was interesting indeed, I quite liked the acoustic version of the song better I think

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 08 Nov 2016, 10:38

New Sea Nymphs is AMAZING.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Nov 2016, 16:01

New Syd Arthur, "Apricity" is brilliant... I highly recommend checking it out!