Beck Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Miki

Re: Beck Thread

Post by Miki » 05 Jul 2016, 21:14

News updates on the new album! :D

Talks of a Talking Heads influenced track... boy oh boy oh boy!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... p-20160705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Miki

Post by Miki » 08 Jul 2016, 00:44

Happy Birthday, Beck :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHlDTF5Bwnp ... invitation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bugman

Post by bugman » 09 Sep 2016, 14:19

new beck track will be on soundtrack fifa 2017. premiere of the album 29.09.2016

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 09 Sep 2016, 15:56

Nice! Hopefully it's gonna be a good one - dreams and wow set a pretty high bar
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 09 Sep 2016, 16:02

I'm still warming to Dreams but Wow was superb, hoping for more like that!

Bugman - is that an official release date for the new album? 29th September?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

bugman

Post by bugman » 09 Sep 2016, 19:17

tom_cas1 wrote:I'm still warming to Dreams but Wow was superb, hoping for more like that!

Bugman - is that an official release date for the new album? 29th September?
yes, Tom. Also, new Kasabian song will be there

HIF

Post by HIF » 09 Sep 2016, 19:29

Where have you heard that? I thought that the new album would be released on October 21?

http://www.nme.com/news/beck/93923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bugman

Post by bugman » 09 Sep 2016, 22:51

HIF wrote:Where have you heard that? I thought that the new album would be released on October 21?

http://www.nme.com/news/beck/93923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
im talking about fifa soundtrack, not beck solo album

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Sep 2016, 23:03

And here's Beck's new "Wow" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCkhPTU13w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm absolutely in love w/this tune!

Miki

Post by Miki » 26 Sep 2016, 00:33

FIFA 17 has included a new song by Beck, which is apparently from the upcoming album. The song is called Up All Night and it's Beck at his poppiest ever, almost in a Pharrell/Daft Punk/Justin Timberlake way. As per recent interviews on how the album was inspired by the live shows of the last couple of years, especially playing at summer Fetivals, the song is about the joy of performing live, sharing in a communal moment of abandonment, making fun of all the cliches like "hands in the air if you don't care" and all the rest, but with the sense that music can be just for fun, and it's all right to be silly. I like his description of the moment when the show ends and the performer watches the crowds leaving, and the adrenaline is still rushing making him want to go on all night. It's a fun, happy song.

When you get the rhythm and words all make you cold
When you break it down and this world is all you know
Hands up, you're waving around and get yourself together
When you count the dominoes falling, it's time to go

Now I'm feeling so far away
I see the colors and all the kids going home
Night is crawling into the day
I hear the night ringing
The summertime singing

I just wanna stay up all night with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmT16n ... pp=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Sep 2016, 09:39

Sounds like a re-working of Dreams, don't like that at all. Doesn't sound like Beck, if it wasn't for him singing I'd think it was someone else. Really disappointed if that's from the next album. :(
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 26 Sep 2016, 12:55

Yeah, not huge on that one. It just sounds like a bland chart single. Not terrible by any means, but it's a step down from Dreams.

Miki

Post by Miki » 26 Sep 2016, 15:29

I've been playing Dreams, Wow and Up All Night back to back for a while. Some thoughts:
- they actually fit together very well and there's definitely a theme emerging (whether that's for everyone, that's another matter).
- my personal preference goes to Wow, which I find the most interesting track out of the three and, in some ways, the most Beckish. Dreams comes second, Up All Night third.
- Up All Night works better next to the other songs than it does alone. It picks up some of the themes found in the other two songs and in that context, it gets stronger. It's more of an album track than a single.
- as an aside: listening to the high quality audio of Dreams and Wow against the low quality of the Youtube rip of UAN makes a huge difference, so I look forward to hearing the proper recording of the new song.

He has only just started playing Wow live, but so far Dreams is the better live performance. He has actually beefed out the song live and it works better on stage than it does on record. I think Wow still needs to find its feet as a live song. I will be very interested to see how the new album will translate live, given that the live shows have been the biggest drive for this album and Beck has stressed he wanted a record he could have fun with when performing.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 26 Sep 2016, 18:46

It's catchy enough I guess but it sounds like it could've been written by any other act. And I guess I could say the same thing for both Dreams and Wow.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 26 Sep 2016, 19:49

better than wow, not as good as dreams
this album's gonna be weak, isn't it