Wonder.land....Damon Albarn's New Project.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Wonder.land....Damon Albarn's New Project.

Postby Mark72 » 21 Jan 2015, 11:29

Wonder.land, a new musical inspired by Lewis Carroll's iconic Alice in Wonderland, with music by Damon Albarn.
Tickets will be available from Thursday 22nd January at 11.30am GMT

wonder.land is a new musical inspired by Lewis Carroll’s iconic Alice in Wonderland, with music by Damon Albarn and book and lyrics by Moira Buffini (Tamara Drewe, Handbagged). Directed by the National Theatre’s incoming Director Rufus Norris.

Welcome to wonder.land, where you can be exactly who you want to be.

Aly, 12, loves this extraordinary virtual world. Bullied at school and unhappy at home, wonder.land lets her escape from her parents, from teachers, from herself.

Online, Aly becomes Alice: brave, beautiful and in control. But some of the people she meets – the weird Dum and Dee, the creepy Cheshire Cat, the terrifying Red Queen – seem strangely familiar.

As hard as Aly tries to keep them apart, real life and wonder.land begin to collide in ever more curious and dangerous ways.

wonder.land is designed by Rae Smith, with projections by 59 Productions and lighting by Paule Constable, the design team behind War Horse.

Creative team:
Damon Albarn, Music
Moira Buffini, Book & Lyrics
Rufus Norris, Director
Rae Smith, Set Designer
59 Productions, Projections
Katrina Lindsay, Costume Designer
Paule Constable, Lighting Designer
Paul Arditti, Sound Designer
Javier De Frutos, Choreographer
David Shrubsole, Music Director
Mike Smith, Music Associate
James Bonas, Associate Director

wonder.land will visit the National Theatre’s Olivier Theatre in November 2015 and the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris in 2016.

http://www.mif.co.uk/event/wonderland
Last edited by Mark72 on 21 Jan 2015, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Mark72

Re: Wonder.land. music by Damon Albarn

Postby Mark72 » 21 Jan 2015, 12:02

Mark72

Re: Wonder.land. music by Damon Albarn

Postby stephen » 21 Jan 2015, 12:10

Not overly excited by this.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Re: Wonder.land....Damon Albarn's New Project.

Postby Mark72 » 21 Jan 2015, 12:18

Trouble is The Alice Story has been done so many times in many forms of media that I can't see what more they can do with it. But I wish them good luck with it.
Mark72

Postby 101reykjavik » 21 Jan 2015, 14:00

My first thoughts were surprise too - been done so many times. But I still think this will be up my street so I'm keen to go. Can't decide whether to try for tickets tomorrow in Manchester (not exactly convenient for me) or take a chance that I can land some for London in November.
101reykjavik

Postby JordanPowers » 21 Jan 2015, 17:07

I kind of guessed the plotline just by reading the title and looking at the promotional picture, but i'm not disappointed at all, i'm still very excited by this. I'm guessing the music will be heavily electronica-based and we'll hear mainly keyboards and synths + drum machines and samplers (and maybe some vocoders) for the tracks, judging from the plotline and some of the imagery.

The fact that it's Alice and Wonderland adaptation doesn't bother me, since this time it's being done in a way that hasn't been done that many times before, so i think it's gonna be interesting to see the way that this musical is gonna end up. Man, this whole 'virtual world/technology vs real world/nature' thing sure is something that's been weighing heavy on Damon's mind a bit recently, though.

Also, A lot of people seem to be commenting on the fact that the cat in the logo looks like the bear from the front cover of Kid A by Radiohead.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section

You should be off the Blur forum
JordanPowers

Postby tom_cas1 » 21 Jan 2015, 18:15

I'm actually quite excited about it, it's one of my favourite stories.

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby aldamasta » 21 Jan 2015, 18:26

The more I'm thinking about it, the more exciting it seems. I'd love to be able to see it... though I don't believe I'll be able to afford a trip to Manchester, London, or Paris this year. Shame, I really loved getting to see Dr. Dee live. Now I'm just hoping even more for the soundtrack to be released! Very excited to hear the tracks he's made. Hoping it'll give us a hint as to what Gorillaz is going to sound like next year!
aldamasta

Postby JordanPowers » 21 Jan 2015, 19:29

It has an official website now. The website for this play says that it'll be showing over the summer June 29th-July 12th. I had predicted this before, summertime is the perfect time for a family musical to be playing.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section

You should be off the Blur forum
JordanPowers

Postby metalhipslop » 21 Jan 2015, 21:15

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/j ... wonderland

users comment on Guardian site always so negative about damon? everytime there is an article about him
metalhipslop

Postby Indiana » 21 Jan 2015, 21:22

metalhipslop wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/jan/21/damon-albarn-carol-ann-duffy-rufus-norris-national-theatre-wonderland

users comment on Guardian site always so negative about damon? everytime there is an article about him

That's nothing. You should read the comments every time they do an article about Alex...
Indiana

Postby davidsutter » 21 Jan 2015, 22:29

that logo's like if the radiohead bear and deadmau5 had a baby
davidsutter

Next

Return to Blur