Jefferson Airplane Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Jefferson Airplane Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Jan 2016, 23:25

tom_cas1 wrote:It really hasn't been a good January. :(

Unfortunately, it's only going to get much worse, my friend... All these luminaries from ours (or a couple of generations sooner) are obviously starting to get way up there in age... We'd thought all could continue to defy the odds.....

Kantner wasn't the most talented singer or overall musician in the band, but he was certainly their heart and soul... not just for Jefferson Airplane, but for all of Jefferson Starship... He left just before they became Starship because he resented how they were selling out and couldn't have any part of "We Built This City" rubbish as well.... He returned when Jefferson Airplane (minus their 3rd drummer, Spencer Dryden) reunited in 1989 and then remained in various forms of Jefferson Starship until his health gradually worsened... He was definitely overshadowed to a certain degree, but he cared more of being that steady backbone in the band anchoring them...again, will be missed!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Jan 2016, 21:23

Wow... So ironic..... RIP, Signe Anderson..... http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3yqjuf2zG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_KnscgBZc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's the original JA singer and passed the same exact day Paul Kantner did.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Feb 2016, 08:07

A sad day. :cry: I like 60s Jefferson Airplane much more than the 80s Starship, which was almost unbearable.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Feb 2016, 20:24

Mallard No. 22 wrote:A sad day. :cry: I like 60s Jefferson Airplane much more than the 80s Starship, which was almost unbearable.

It was the first time ever the members of the same band passed-away on the same exact day in different locations and both the same age! True, several believed Grace Slick was their original female lead-singer, but Signe left in July of 1966 when she didn't want to go on the road during her pregnancy and it seems the band members resented her then husband as well.

Yeah, Starship was too brutal, but earlier Jefferson Starship ranks WAY up there!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Feb 2016, 09:03

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It was the first time ever the members of the same band passed-away on the same exact day in different locations and both the same age!
Indeed, a tragic coincidence.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Sep 2018, 01:53

RIP, MARTY BALIN.......

http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/28/marty-bal ... ead-at-76/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 04 Oct 2018, 03:06

R.I.P. :cry:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Oct 2018, 09:26

Mallard No. 22 wrote:R.I.P. :cry:
Yeah.. he will be missed.... Here's one of my favorite clips exclusively featuring him on lead vocals.... This is the Jefferson "Starship" to remember! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwBAweZ9pE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, this amazing live version of their certified hit "Miracles", but sped up here (compared to the epic studio recording) due to time restrictions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMEvOtnB6M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 12 Oct 2018, 04:10

Interesting how in 1978 they were still doing a lazier, country-style of rock with 'Count On Me'.

But in 1980 they were much more up-to-date with the immediate 'Jane'.

A bit like the change that Paul McCartney or Rod Stewart made in the same period, influenced by disco or new wave.