Overrated Music

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: Overrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Nov 2015, 21:39

Let Them Play and Tusk are my favourite Fleetwood Mac albums, and I see them as the pinnacles for the two eras of the band (Okay, there's really about five or six eras for the band, but the others aren't quite as good :p )

I find MGMT overrated. For example, Time to Pretend and Kids, their best known, have nice melodies and everything, but there's something about them and the production that kills it for me. But I can't quite figure out what, especially as on paper it would sound like I should love it.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 06 Nov 2015, 23:35

The second mgmt album is far better than the first, I'd really recommend it, it's not as well known because it's not poppy but it is really really good

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Nov 2015, 23:52

Pasta wrote:The second mgmt album is far better than the first, I'd really recommend it, it's not as well known because it's not poppy but it is really really good
Agree with this. An excellent album. The third isn't half bad either. Actually the poppy first album is the one I don't rate.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Nov 2015, 06:07

White Stripes and the Killers overrated?

I certainly think Mumford and Sons is BEYOND overrated!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Nov 2015, 07:36

Yes, Mumford & Sons have done little for my ears :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Nov 2015, 14:27

I think all three are overrated (Stripes, killers, mumford).

However, Mumford are the only one of the three who I don't like and find painfully mediocre. That they ever had a banjo was irrelevant because it didn't make them unique. You can find bands like Mumford but who are better at I'm quite sure any folk festival. I certainly have anyway.

Not overrated, but I find it strange how everyone goes on about Soft Cell's Tainted Love being great when
- The 12" version that goes into Where Did Our Love Go is better
- Say Hello Wave Goodbye is better
- Bedsitter is better
- Gloria Jones' original is just as good

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Nov 2015, 23:30

White Stripes to me a more talented than others are willing to give them credit for. To me, their sound started to really evolve during their later albums and Jack White's lyrics have such an emotional touch to them (for the most part).... Perhaps I can see on some of their songs they may seemed completely forced, but in not necessarily so in general...

Killers adopted a unique sound of their own, but maybe they were over-the-top....

Mumford and Sons are so generic that it is BEYOND annoying!

I still think Muse is VASTLY overrated... anyone can attempt to convince me otherwise..that is fine!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Dec 2015, 07:44

AdvertBreak wrote:I think all three are overrated (Stripes, killers, mumford).

However, Mumford are the only one of the three who I don't like and find painfully mediocre. That they ever had a banjo was irrelevant because it didn't make them unique. You can find bands like Mumford but who are better at I'm quite sure any folk festival. I certainly have anyway.

Not overrated, but I find it strange how everyone goes on about Soft Cell's Tainted Love being great when
- The 12" version that goes into Where Did Our Love Go is better
- Say Hello Wave Goodbye is better
- Bedsitter is better
- Gloria Jones' original is just as good
Yes, I agree on all of these perceptive points AB. For some reason 'Tainted Love' was long ago selected as a radio favourite, whereas other Soft Cell songs were not - possibly they have more negative lyrics?

KLL - good point about Mumford & Sons.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 Dec 2015, 09:08

I suppose neither of them would work quite as well on Karaoke, and therefore not quite be so obviously a public favourite.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 03 Dec 2015, 22:18

Peace

Fuck peace

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Dec 2015, 23:40

Speaking of overrated...Coldplay is going to be the Half Time performer for Super Bowl 50 here in the States.... Oh lord have mercy!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 05 Dec 2015, 00:21

I don't know if he's much respected these days, but Rick Rubin

Sine the mid-90s, he's been overpaid, a douche and rather shit. He's also been holding the RHCP back for such a long time. He should be telling Anthony to write good lyrics and to have the damn albums mastered properly, other than telling them to keep the same melancholy funk rock sound on every album and stop them from trying to spread their wings into punkish stuff or whatever.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 05 Dec 2015, 07:34

Not sure you can blame producers for shitty mastering, but it cannot be coincidence that Rubin was behind "Californication" and "Death Magnetic", two potentially solid albums totally ruined and made unlistenable by loudness.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 05 Dec 2015, 12:32

Rick Rubin is very shit in general to be honest, a lot of great bands worst albums are produces by him, I'd also point out that almost everything he produces has fucking awful mastering so he probably has influence there

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Dec 2015, 13:09

One overrated band to me over the years has been Kiss, but don't know if they made a huge impact in the UK or not for anyone there to notice, but always style over substance with them for the most part. Any a select few tunes I can honestly tolerate by them.