2017 Annual End Of Season Non-Denominational Cheer Thread

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Caitlin

2017 Annual End Of Season Non-Denominational Cheer Thread

Post by Caitlin » 23 Dec 2017, 09:46

Wouldn't feel like the end of the year if I didn't make a thread about it. ;)

I don't think 2017 has been a particularly great year for any of us, so you'll forgive me if I can't be bothered hanging the decorations.

So, tell us about how your 2017 was. Tell us about your plans for 2018.

2017 for me has been lots of family drama (LOTS) and stress. My boyfriend, me, and our beautiful little sausage dog are going well. We are hoping to add another dog to our family sometime in 2018. Life is... ok :)

stephen

Re: 2017 Annual End Of Season Non-Denominational Cheer Threa

Post by stephen » 23 Dec 2017, 11:09

Can't wait to boot this one out of the window.

- Totally detached from society with regards to brexit and general election
- Had a weird illness that lasted all year symptoms being insomnia/stress/anxiety/depression/fatigue and the doctors using me as a lab rat with no results
- I went 3 days without any sleep, not even catch up sleep in the day. Things start getting pretty weird.
- No money for holidays/fun
- A general realisation that I am ageing and I've not really got anything to show for it
- I sold my bitcoins in July. Now they are worth 5x that amount!

I'm not one to moan and I know people have it worse off than me but it really has been a shitter of a year.

So the plus

- I've managed to save enough money to buy a house
- Going to my favourite festival in July.
- Going to Portugal in September.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Dec 2017, 00:40

Allow for another mostly downbeat comment but for me 2017 continues the tradition of each year being worse than the last which goes back to 2009

It started awfully because I was at the centre of my depression, but generally my mood has not been quite so bad throughout the year, and I'm most pleased to see this Christmas/New Year season I'm doing approximately 500 times better than this time last year. Still, it's another precious youthful year of my life wasted doing almost nothing.

What killed this year stone dead was my mum's illnesses. First she had cancer but while they got rid of that, her awry diet that I won't go into meant malnutrition contributed to a form of brain damage from which she is yet to recover. So everything is much more difficult and sad now. Tho what's worse is I know how 2018 will be worse than '17 already for a few reasons but I won't go into it

On the flipside, I met up with friends 10 times this year, which is more than the last few years combined. A lot of college work has been enjoyable, especially when I'm good at it. So a few good things have come of 2017.

Me being a reluctant New Year pessimist I'm not looking forward to 2018 but if I'm able to get my UCAS application done in time (with a little help) then I'll be applying for uni, which i might defer a year to allow for relevant work experience, I'm not sure yet (thats only if I get in obviously).

Oh and two 2018 things I'm most certainly excited for - seeing Tears for Fears in their native (and my native) Bath and also The Cure in London.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 27 Dec 2017, 07:04

It's the first time in many years I didn't have to take care of my elderly parents (both passed), so that's a weight lifted physically and mentally.

Missed the Warpaint concert, still kicking myself for being late. That's probably the low point of the year.

Great year for sports for me:
Got to see some (American) football games in person for the first time since I was a kid, so that was fun.
LA Dodgers baseball team was one win away from the world series championship, first time in the series since 1988
LA Rams football team in the playoffs, first time in many years
LA Kings hockey team tops in their division

No plans for 2018 so far.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 27 Dec 2017, 17:42

2017 was pretty uneventful until October. That's when I hit my 10 year anniversary at work and I knew I didn't want my life to be like the way it is. I got my job as a temporary job until I found a job that I really liked or that paid well. 10 years later I was still at my low paying job that made me miserable.

The next month, my car died. Thankfully I was able to take a loan from my 401k retirement and bought an awesome Saab which I am still loving.

Then December hit and I knew that if I wanted to change, I had to do something. So I looked for a new job, and while it pays a lesser amount, I know that it absolutely is temporary and it's at an art store which I like a lot. And I also enrolled in some classes at the local college so I can get the training that I need to get a well paying job in web design.

So 2018 is looking good. I start my new job in a few days, tomorrow is the last day at my current job, and I start school January 16th.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Jan 2018, 05:05

Happy New Year everyone.

As evidenced by the posts above, life will continue to have its challenges :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."