Old forum

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

damon008

Old forum

Post by damon008 » 09 Oct 2017, 13:43

Why did it go, was it a money thing? Facebook is really bad for fans to communicate like on forums

stephen

Re: Old forum

Post by stephen » 10 Oct 2017, 09:15

My guess is that the upkeep cost wasn't worth their while.

It had a terrible time with spam bots.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Oct 2017, 00:41

Bots were an issue between 2006 - 2008 but after the forum was upgraded that issue disappeared. Money couldn't have been an issue, it doesn't cost much to host a forum, especially if a rich record label is paying for it. I genuinely think they thought Facebook, Twitter and Instagram were betters way for fans to connect and chat but that isn't the case at all. Look at this place. And more often than not, news would be posted here first than on official channels. Forums are still relevant. Sadly the label/management didn't think so. Their loss. Thankfully Veikko was here adopt us all!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

damon008

Post by damon008 » 11 Oct 2017, 03:42

im not on facebook or twitter they cant assume everyone is

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Oct 2017, 06:02

tom_cas1 wrote:I genuinely think they thought Facebook, Twitter and Instagram were better ways for fans to connect and chat but that isn't the case at all. Look at this place.

Forums are still relevant. Sadly the label/management didn't think so.

Thankfully Veikko was here adopt us all!
I agree absolutely with the above comments. Those that (think that they) influence the public mindset decided that forums were passe.

Facebook boomed in the mid-2010s but too many people joined and on-line arguments ensued.

Pages have come and gone, whereas forums remain for in depth, non-dispute, discussion.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Oct 2017, 08:10

The spam didn't disappear. There was a team behind the scene (myself included) having to verify each new registered user.

It was a resource hog. They may or may not have fixed the problem later on but it wasn't 2008.

I've had numerous forums hit by spam, of course there's always methods of trying to beat the spam but they get more and more sophisticated. Once a domain name is targeted it becomes very difficult to get rid of them.

I do agree that the new social media platforms would have taken over anyways.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 07 Dec 2017, 18:32

The problem is, whoever is running Blur's social media accounts is so....bad...at it. And has been for a long time.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem