Random Posts

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

AdvertBreak

Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 22:59

I am sorely missing the Random Posts thread from the old forum.

I'll start (and I genuinely didn't start this thread to say this): Filthy Rich & Catflap is perhaps the underrated British sitcom ever.

Forever Low Man

Re: Random Posts

Post by Forever Low Man » 04 May 2015, 23:52

Sarah thought Magic Whip was by Muse, I think.

Either way, the month-and-a-half long streak of not talking to her has been broken, and I feel really bad about that.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 23:54

Also, Stressed Eric the most underrated animated series ever.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 05 May 2015, 12:42

AdvertBreak wrote:
Filthy Rich & Catflap is perhaps the underrated British sitcom ever.
It had its moments. It wasn't up there with The Young Ones though.

"The Noles, my favourite four-tissue fantasy." I think that was the line, it's been 30 years. :)

I preferred Happy Families.

- I reckon the best and most-neglected sitcom from the 80s was Hot Metal.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 05 May 2015, 12:47

Foggy wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:
Filthy Rich & Catflap is perhaps the underrated British sitcom ever.
It had its moments. It wasn't up there with The Young Ones though.

"The Noles, my favourite four-tissue fantasy." I think that was the line, it's been 30 years. :)

I preferred Happy Families.

- I reckon the best and most-neglected sitcom from the 80s was Hot Metal.
No, it wasn't The Young Ones but I'd say it was damn fine in its own right. So fast paced and littered with funny surreal moments at every given chance. The dead milkmen or 'Ooh-er, Sounds a Bit Rude' are probably my favourite bits.

I've never seen Hot Meal.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 May 2015, 22:00

Whilst Blur released "Fool's Day" in 2010 and "Under the Westway"/"The Puritan" in 2012, their first singles since 2005's belated "Some Glad Morning", fans wanted moar and on 19 February 2015, they announced their new album "The King of Limbs" and also dropped the music video for its first single "Lotus Flower". Whilst this would have been a huge day for fans, and indeed the sight of Damon dancing funny in that video was what they wanted, the song itself, a five minute shuffley electronic-based number was not what they were expecting. "Where's Graham? The guitars?" They asked. "Speak up Damon, we can't hear you!" Fans, whilst they were pleased to be getting a new album of eight tracks, also wondered why its only eight tracks? They were also puzzled when the album turned out not to be formed from some demos they did in Hong Kong but instead recorded in Drew Barrymore's LA crib (even the name suggests something equally bizarre: a tree in Wiltshire's Savernake Forest, home to only one thing of interest, Ailesbury Column [and also that its near Marlborough White Horse]). The band did not release any further songs or perform any songs live until it was released on 27 April. Fans were undoubtley dissappointed with the project. Graham did not play the guitar as such and was still up to the whizzy electronic flourishes from A+E, only with a much less melodic and more rhythmic approach, Damon dirged his singing and on some tracks, such as "Feral", it gets buried in reverb and briefly spliced. In fact the first half of the album in its entirety left more to be desired ("stop being repetitive, song!") except for Alex's groove on "Morning Mr Magpie". The second side offered some piano-based numbers but this was not enough to save the album from being placed at the bottom of the album rankings next to "Leisure".

The curveball and subsequent fan puzzlement can be compared to when Radiohead released their 8th album "The Magic Whip" in early 2011. Fans were happy in most cases though, as they continued to use guitars as on In Rainbows, and were also happy to see Thom had written the album free of any particular word salad, except maybe on album highlight "I Thought I Was a Spaceman". Still, some fans were puzzled with la la la singalong "Ong Ong". "Where's the claustrophobic IDM-esque stuff?" the fans cried. Still, they'd probably have been more pleased with what they got than for example they released "The King of Limbs" instead.

I am that bored.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 16 Jun 2015, 20:59

Walk out, slam door behind, lock it, take the key and tuck it under a pot plant.

BYE FUCKERS, I'M OUT.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 16 Jun 2015, 21:01

Bye Caitlin.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 16 Jun 2015, 21:49

Caitlin wrote:Walk out, slam door behind, lock it, take the key and tuck it under a pot plant.

BYE FUCKERS, I'M OUT.
Where you off to?

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 16 Jun 2015, 22:14

Taking a few days off work. Been doing 10 hour days the last few weeks. Time for a break!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 17 Jun 2015, 05:13

Have fun! :P

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Jul 2015, 20:44

I've had some fun imagining if these albums were all just this one band or artist's discography: Station to Station, Low, Marquee Moon, Chairs Missing, Metal Box, Remain in Light, Heaven Up Here, Treasure, Psychocandy, Spirit of Eden, Daydream Nation, Spiderland, Loveless, SAW 85-92, Quique, In Sides, Endtroducing, Melody AM, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, (gap), Merriweather Post Pavilion and Lonerism. The best band/artist ever, obviously.

Again, I have been that bored.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 06 Jul 2015, 20:47

Yeah, and the band's name would be.. Coldplay :lol:
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Jul 2015, 20:50

:lol: Well they'd certainly not have as many haters 8-)

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 10 Jul 2015, 00:22

who wants to do mbv survivor?