What pisses you off at the moment?

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

MsMagicAmerica

Re: What pisses you off at the moment?

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 22 Jan 2018, 22:25

So funny thing, apparently my Mac was so old that the Mac store won't look at it yet alone fix it. So I called a computer store by me and explained my problem and the tech told me he thinks it's my start up drive and my hard drive and it would cost me a good amount of money. So I honestly just bought a new computer. Why spend a lot of money fixing something that is old when I could get a newer and much nicer product for a little more. Eventually I will fix my old computer so I can work on two computers, but for right now I have a nice new one.

Only to find out that a lot of the web development software for my classes is Windows only!! So for school i forked up a few hundred and bought an HP laptop. Now I'm broke and am trying to figure out how to work a Windows computer again. My sister is going to give me money for the laptop and we will share it as she needs a computer and hates Macs.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Jan 2018, 06:51

The compatibility of operating systems can be a bane to all of us.... :mrgreen:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 23 Jan 2018, 10:21

I've been working with Windows all my life. The company I worked for for 5 years forced me on a mac, that was the point I had to quit. So I understand your frustrations there is nothing worse than working on an operating system you are not used to, it just seems backwards.

You know you can dual boot a Mac so it has MacOS and Windows to match both needs.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 23 Jan 2018, 19:39

stephen wrote:
You know you can dual boot a Mac so it has MacOS and Windows to match both needs.
No!

I kinda feel like an idiot now

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Jan 2018, 09:25

I sometimes use my drafts on this forum as a sort of quickly-done drive so I can work on drafts for various things while I'm at college. But the one I need right now has disappeared

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jan 2018, 08:33

stephen wrote:there is nothing worse than working on an operating system you are not used to, it just seems backwards.
Absolutely.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 31 Jan 2018, 00:18

I'm getting used to it. It just seems like i have to search everywhere for applications when on a Mac I can find them in a second.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Feb 2018, 21:06

I have been on a temporary lay-off from my job for nearly this past month and I've lost all sense of structure! I am routine driven and since have reverted to some old habits of feeling more awake at 3 a.m. than I do at 3 p.m. and not getting everything I desire accomplished. Also, my back is compounding matters worse and I haven't been going out as much. However, I plan on jolting myself in the arse and changing all of this quickly or else!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Feb 2018, 07:54

If you're awake at 3am, but not 3pm, keep off the coffee Louie.... :)

Only have a cup or two in the morning, and avoid it after that. A simple solution often works.

stephen

Post by stephen » 06 Feb 2018, 12:20

I think I've mentioned it before on here but I've been suffering from insomnia. It's a result from a whole host of things but mostly my tinitus.

And when I say insomnia I mean no sleep...at all..for days on end. I'd go to bed at 10-11pm. If I'm not asleep by the first 30 minutes I would watch the ceiling all night for about 7-8 hours. I quickly realised that if I'm not asleep within the first 30 minutes I might aswell get up and carry on doing things. It's a strange feeling that knowing your body needs sleep but your mind is 100% wired like it's the middle of the day. So I clean the house, make some food, watch some telly, play some computer games. When the morning comes you expect to get that hit of tiredness and collapse, but that never comes. Your brain and body just carry on like normal, at first you feel invincible...like you have somehow found a way of not needing sleep. So I just go to work like I've had a full night sleep. By the time the next evening comes your kinda excited that you will get a full night sleep and look forward to it..but the same thing happens. Your exhausted, both mentally and physically. But the brain and body are still somewhat wired. Completely awake. By the 3rd day the depression really hits and I start getting really concerned for my health. I'm emotionally drained and worried and alone, hallucinations start to happen and the blur between awake and asleep start kicking in. I'm awake but I'm just staring at things and lose my trail of thought constantly. At times I don't know where I am or what I am doing. I'm hungry all the time. The worse thing about it is I've been to 4 different GPs and had numerous tests done and nothing. Everything is how it should be. Most of them say stress straight away, like it's a throw away comment. But not one has given me any advice. Not one has asked 'how are you?'. They just plug you in and run some tests and away you go.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Feb 2018, 05:48

Stephen - I don't have insomnia as such. Though there has been occasions when I struggle to get to sleep. This is often for simple reasons like too much caffeine and lack of activity during the previous day. If this happens, I do as you do - get back out of bed and do something.

Taking exercise during the day should make the body tired at the right time of the evening, and this should override a brain that is still alert :geek:

P.S. I am up & about at this early hour not because of insomnia, but because I have to go to work.... :)

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 23 Feb 2018, 23:05

I'm almost certainly not the first to say this, but I'm throwing the NRA out there.

Why on earth is it in America that the right to own a gun is seen as a more important right than the right not be shot?

I love America wholeheartedly having lived there for 9 months and gone back on holiday/vacation many times since, but the whole gun situation is so arse about face. I mean seriously when the proposed solution to there being too many shootings (if you like just reflect on the fact the phrase too many slipped you by, rather than the fact that any at all is absolutely heinous) is to bring more guns in to schools, makes me wonder if the Mayans forgot to carry a 1 somewhere when they thought the world would end in 2012

stephen

Post by stephen » 26 Feb 2018, 11:59

It's something about the right to protect land isn't it?

The whole 'I'd rather have a good guy holding a gun than a bad guy' is utter nonsense. I couldn't trust my neighbour to take my bins out for me while i'm on holiday, I don't know how/why anyone could be trusted with a gun.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 26 Feb 2018, 19:47

stephen wrote:It's something about the right to protect land isn't it?

The whole 'I'd rather have a good guy holding a gun than a bad guy' is utter nonsense. I couldn't trust my neighbour to take my bins out for me while i'm on holiday, I don't know how/why anyone could be trusted with a gun.
My understanding was that it was a right that was permitted in order to protect property, i took that to mean tangible things as opposed to land/buildings, for some reason i also got the impression it was also about enabling the relatively poor/weak to defend themselves from the more powerful, but I might be talking shit. I'd still rather have my property removed by somebody without a gun rather than with one. Think it's something that was probably appropriate and sensible when introduced, but now clearly causes far more problems than it resolves

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 02 Mar 2018, 03:51

No man this shit with all the shootings is scary!

Back when they made the laws about owning guns, their guns shot like one bullet at a time and it took forever to reload it. Why should someone need a gun (at all but that's my humble opinion) that shoots a crazy amount of bullets in a minute?

And what is this idea of arming teachers? What kind of shit is that?