What pisses you off at the moment?

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: What pisses you off at the moment?

Post by AdvertBreak » 29 Jun 2015, 12:08

The Berlin Trilogy are always treated like shit on his compilations. The only consistent track is the piss poor edit of "Heroes". Sometimes you might get Sound and Vision for Low, and for Lodger there's Boys Keep Swinging and I think D.J. On the 74/79 compilation there's also one Breaking Glass (totalling, what, 5 minutes of Low in total?) and Beauty and the Beast for "Heroes". Doesn't help my Best of Bowie compilation would be most of Low to begin with.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Jul 2015, 19:25

My antivirus program is due to end in around 10 days, but it hasn't warned me. Anyone know why? I only know it ends soon because it was for a one year duration when it was installed mid-July 2014.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 15 Jul 2015, 19:09

Due to the "Beatles For Sale Survivor" thread I've had "Honey Don't" stuck in my head for two days. Worst bit is it's just the chorus! :evil: :evil: :evil:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Jul 2015, 14:44

EPs that have "EP" in the title. It's fucking stupid.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 22 Jul 2015, 19:29

AdvertBreak wrote:EPs that have "EP" in the title. It's fucking stupid.
think of it as a label rather than a title
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Jul 2015, 19:37

Its just my friend has decided to put our collaboration on his EP. I ask him the name and its "Jump EP". I argue with him for ages about how it should just be called Jump in the same way that, if it were an album, he wouldn't call it Jump Album. Indeed its a label but sadly its on the cover.

Sorry, strong pet peeve.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Jul 2015, 23:57

Two more things:

1) People calling all various artists albums "compilations", which spreads to the likes of Wikipedia, and not even with consensus consulting which is how they normally overcome controversial debate - except there's no debate!

It pisses me off because the likes of No New York, The Help Album, 99% of all tribute albums and most old punk "compilations" are not compilations. All of the tracks on these albums were recorded exclusively for the album at hand, therefore they are studio albums. Simply by there being 'various artists' on the album does not thy previously released music collection make. If you want to include No New York in a list of your favourite albums but won't because its a "compilation", it isn't a compilation.

2) ITV. Because, cuz, I really love the idea of local ITV stations like it was from the station's dawn until the gradual corporate merging that has taken place since, completed in 2004. All the classic local independent ITV franchise holders (Granada, Yorkshire, Thames, Tyne Tees, LWT, TVS, TSW, HTV etc. etc.) first were threatened when they all had to conform to a single generic ITV ident in 1989, with only the station name appearing beneath ITV's new (and first) logo. Many of them were quick to replace this splash of grey, but ten years later, with Granada and Carlton now beginning their merger and consuming all over ITV franchises, the same thing happened again and local ITV as it should be was gone forevermore over the next few years, with important instalments being 'ITV1' launching in 2001, removal of logos in the new ident package in 2002, and Granada replacing all endcaps in 2004 - the year ITV plc formed, and local ITV stations were gone forever bar local news, where none of the identity of local ITV has remained.

I get big nostalgia from the 1999-2006 era of ITV, but really, it hasn't not changed for the better. At all.

Anyway, again, its all just trivial stuff lol.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 23 Jul 2015, 02:58

AdvertBreak attempting to vote out "Sometimes" in Loveless Survivor. That's pretty pissy.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 23 Jul 2015, 12:12

Christ - I've never seen someone who feels so strongly about ITV.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 Jul 2015, 13:26

:lol: :mrgreen:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Jul 2015, 08:04

ITV is a truly awful generic channel now. We get a bit off lifestyle programming amidst the Advert Breaks ;)

Much preferred the regional ITV you describe.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Aug 2015, 01:37

I'm getting kinda pissed off with people bemoaning The Stone Roses' debut album as overrated and full of filler.

Yes, its in practically every list of the best albums ever, and is treated by some as arguably the very finest. That pisses people off, from American critics (Jim DeRogatis, even an early snap from Christgau), journalists for British papers (Independent, Guardian), The Quietus, Bob Geldof, Paul Gambaccini, Justine Frischmann, and countless music fans (including almost everyone on ixlor) - all arguing the album is overrated, almost full of filler, and only loved by the generation that lived alongside it.

Simply put, its not. I always like seeing it in the best album lists. It's a 10/10 from me. Why? Well, I would say just listen to it but apparently those "flaws" have gone right over my head. What I do here, just from the first four songs, is a fucking great bassline emerging from an atmospheric icy intro soon joined by the others part by part - and clearly, they are all playing a part. It's not just a singer and the other guys, or a singer and the guitarist and the other guys - each one of them brings something unique to the table. Sure, Ian Brown was a swaggery placid-sounding singer and John Squire took cues from Marr but made them into his own distinctive sprawling psychedelic sound (before he went all Page), but the rhythm section is tight as fuck, with Mani's great basslines (which form the heart of e.g. I Wanna Be Adored, She Bangs the Drums and later Fools Gold) and Reni's pristine percussion.

But yeah, after the excellent first track, you get one of the finest pop songs fucking ever, then you get Waterfall with one of the most memorable riffs ever, and then you get the ethereal dream pop effect with what is essentially Waterfall backwards recorded and played forwards to the album's most psychedelic moment.

Later on of course there's everything else, all important in its own right except Elizabeth My Dear (which could be described as filler I guess, but its just 59 seconds long so its hardly worth complaining about). I'll stop here before this becomes a review, but yeah you get my point. And simply put, the lovers massively outnumber the haters, because its the fucking Stone Roses. In my opinion, its better than Doolittle, Funeral, Slanted and Enchanted etc. (a.k.a. similarly stupidly harshly bemoaned-by-some albums, and I'm saying that even though I don't even care much for Pavement). They should all complain about Is This It instead.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Aug 2015, 07:47

There were other albums at the time that were good, but the Stone Roses one gets the accolades.

My own opinion is that it was good but not great. I think that its importance was in being the hinge connecting 80s indie with the 90s.

And it introduced 'retro cool'. Before this, music had never seriously delved into the styles of its past to create new sounds.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 31 Aug 2015, 23:03

Went to the Doctors today and finally got some medicine to help me sleep (yay!) Filled the script only to find she only ordered 15 pills. Umm, I can't sleep every night, am I only supposed to get a good nights rest for half of the month?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 16 Sep 2015, 18:37

People that moan about things being eyesores when they're not. Happened so much in the news recently.