Letters from an old friend

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

jonathas

Letters from an old friend

Post by jonathas » 02 Jul 2020, 11:53

When I was a young teenager, I was absolutely obsessed with music. Luckily, I had lots of pals who felt the same. We formed a kind of community - eagerly turning each other on to new sounds, sharing our enthusiasm for song. As the years went by, as is often the way, our tastes divulged a bit, our habits became different, and we saw each other less and less. Every now and again I'd meet up with one of them and worry that the magic that was our shared obsession had become thin and broken - but I began to realise that although we were no longer on the same track musically, our friendship had become based on other things - in particular an emotional attachment and a real, unbreakable hope that my pals were happy.

Eventually I stopped hearing from a lot of these people. That was OK; they'd moved on to other things, had other interests, and were having families, moving around. We lost touch. Every now and again one would pop up again, but not often for long.

I did have one friend though, who no matter what, was always there. His letters arrived amazingly frequently, even though by this stage I was often doing nothing to deserve them. Each letter was different to the last. Sometimes they were absolutely unexpected and I could make neither head nor tail of them. Other times they could have been sent direct from 1993, as if nothing had ever changed.

But mostly they spoke of his own mad path, which to my amazement never seemed to slow. I can't say I enjoyed these letters quite as much as I did the familiar, nostalgic ones, but each time I got one I felt an incredible amount of gratitude that I still heard from this mad, hardworking, sometimes grumpy, mercurial friend. I don't know how he has the energy. The letters arrive with staggering frequency now. He still sends letters!

Sometimes my friends say 'are you still reading those letters? They're so erratic. Don't you wish things were as they were?'. And I say no, and because I'm just delighted that our friendship continues and I feel a thrilling loyalty to him. Sometimes I think it's truly difficult to appreciate just how unusual it is for relationships to last. I had to wait for my knees to get creaky.

Very glad I still hear from him.

Rubi

Re: Letters from an old friend

Post by Rubi » 02 Jul 2020, 19:22

Nice story. I suggest you send it to https://www.humansofnewyork.com

jonathas

Re: Letters from an old friend

Post by jonathas » 03 Jul 2020, 10:27

It was intended as a metaphor for Damon's workrate and relationship with his fans, so this isn't really off-topic, but never mind.