Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MsMagicAmerica

Re: What pisses you off at the moment?

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 04 Nov 2019, 01:25

PaulG wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 17:33
Fireworks.

Bonfire night is a thing of the past; it's now bonfire season. My two rescue dogs are absolutely petrified of fireworks and can't calm down or settle - it's a horrible thing to see. So far they've been pretty sporadic, but it's now ramping up. We've some new medication to try this year which I really hope works.
We had that problem during the summer. Apparently every night was Independence Day because my neighbors (or someone around my block) would set fireworks off pretty much every night for no reason. And they would set them off after 10pm. I have the same situation, I have a rescue dog and she can't calm down. She shakes, hides, cries, and is restless. Plus my four year old nephew who lives with us wakes up in the middle of the night. It's so annoying and disrespectful.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » 04 Nov 2019, 12:52

Great to see a few others on here with rescue pets :)

We've had three difficult evenings with our youngest dog. She's a rescue greyhound and has enough issues as it is - she was a mess when rescued and we really weren't sure she was even going to survive. She's now trembling & panting as soon as it gets dark, even before the fireworks start, and the sedative we've been given for her isn't having much effect. We've made her a den and she hides away in it, but she's still trembling and panting. She shuts down completely and we just can't interact with her.

The only thing that calmed her down was silence once the fireworks had stopped - even having the dog-calming music on once the fireworks had stopped didn't help. I'm ringing the vets again today to see if there's anything else we can do. I'm really hoping that Bonfire night being on a weekday means it'll be quiet, but that's probably over-optimistic...

I don't get people setting them off so late either. Some people really just don't give a shit.

Ironically the older dog, who used to pace around at loud noises, hasn't batted an eyelid so far (which is a big relief). I don't think she's going deaf, as she can hear a packet of anything being opened several rooms away!! :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Nov 2019, 09:50

It is a bit of a relief when the mischief night/Halloween/bonfire night period ends - unfortunately, it attracts various kinds of anti-social behaviour.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."