Req: 1997 Australian shows

Request and post links to rare live audio/video files.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Pavlich

Req: 1997 Australian shows

Post by Pavlich » 01 May 2015, 08:00

I remember emailing a guy once (potentially from one of the Blur bootleg blogs) about some Blur shows from '97. The guy had the show(s) listed, but the links were dead.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone had any of the shows and could upload them? I'd hugely appreciate it. Especially considering they're finally coming back for their (second only) tour later this year.

These were the tour dates just in case it jogs anyone's memory, or iTunes library. I'm pretty sure the shows that got a recording were Freo and Melbourne

Oct 24, 1997 North Shore Event Centre, Auckland
Oct 26, 1997 Festival Hall, Melbourne
Oct 28, 1997 Metro Theatre, Sydney
Oct 29, 1997 Metro Theatre, Sydney
Oct 30, 1997 Hordern Pavilion, Sydney
Nov 01, 1997 Monash University, Melbourne
Nov 02, 1997 Metro Nightclub, Melbourne
Nov 04, 1997 Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide
Nov 06, 1997 Metropolis, Fremantle

Cheers.

elasticaman

Re: REQ: 1997 Australian shows

Post by elasticaman » 01 May 2015, 08:29

monash - one of the very best blur live recordings
https://mega.co.nz/#F!JZlHzAJL!FnfWOAaKUlO8qhx3_nPtDQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you would be lucky to get those others anytime soon.mr magpie will be the one who has them, and hes pretty busy right now and hasnt shared his archive in quite some time..hopefully one day

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 01 May 2015, 10:10

Ah thank you! Quicker turn around than I expected. I think this might've been the show he had, but I have a suspicion Fremantle was floating around somewhere too. Perth was probably the biggest bootlegging city for international artists in the 90s – there's an elusive Radiohead one from that year or '98 that's apparently pretty special for Thom's enthusiasm.

Thanks again.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 01 May 2015, 14:31

theres also footage from Hey Hey its Saturday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuwPiz7eFEY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluehammer

Re: Req: 1997 Australian shows

Post by bluehammer » 03 May 2015, 04:08

Brilliant show that Monash one. Still have my (albeit faded) ticket and the tour poster.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 04 May 2015, 08:34

bluehammer wrote:Brilliant show that Monash one. Still have my (albeit faded) ticket and the tour poster.
What was it like? All you can hear is girl's screaming in the bootleg. Was it mostly for Monash students? Did Monash pay for the gig? Why was it held there?

bluehammer

Post by bluehammer » 04 May 2015, 13:28

Pavlich wrote:
bluehammer wrote:Brilliant show that Monash one. Still have my (albeit faded) ticket and the tour poster.
What was it like? All you can hear is girl's screaming in the bootleg. Was it mostly for Monash students? Did Monash pay for the gig? Why was it held there?
The gig was actually at Monash's Caulfield campus, a much smaller campus that the main campus in Clayton (where I was a student). Chisholm Hall is just a big basketball court, nothing fancy about it as a 'hall' at all. As for why it was held there, I've really no idea. I suppose they have a history of playing universities and perhaps it was an easy venue for Triple J to record as ABC were located just down the road) but I'm guessing. I doubt that would have been a factor, as the gig was actually sponsored by Independent station Triple R...

They did have a great following on campus. Among my mates at least :D

It was a Frontier gig like the others so I doubt Monash chipped in any more than promotion.

I remember that it was promoted heavily around campus and in Lot's Wife (the Monash newspaper), but it was available like the Metro gigs through Tickemaster. Think tickets were $30 from memory. They went on sale at the campus ticketmaster and sold out pretty quickly.

In terms of the gig itself, there was a decent queue outside from a couple of hours prior to doors, and with Song 2 being massive there were a mix of teens and 20-somethings. It was an all-ages gig, unlike the metro.

Killjoys were support, a band from melbourne who were still doing ok around the pubs but really struggled with this crowd, I remember they got a fair bit of grief. 2 main things that I remember from the gig (rather than the recording of the gig) were the large numbers of girls - no problem with that - and the speed at which the lads played the songs. You've heard Chinese Bombs on the recording, but I remember Globe Alone (which is missing from the recording) being RIDICULOUSLY fast. MOR as well. Damon was definitely up and about though, climbing around during Advert and coming down off the stage a few times. I was in close, a few back from the rail and it was HOT. Not Radiohead-at-Festival-Hall hot but hot. My sister moved back about halfway through and it was a bit more spread out out half way back.

Although sold out, they could have sold more tickets as there was a fair bit of room at the back.

I went to the Metro gig as well and the Monash gig was far superior. Damon seemed 'tired' and the Metro crowd had a far higher dickhead count. Monash crowd was great.

Every other detail I can 'remember' I probably remember from the recording (talking of the Melbourne Cup, etc).

I do remember spending $50 on a T-Shirt and $15 on a beanie for my sister on the way out. They played for about 90 minutes and the first song I remember hearing Triple J play on the way home as we got in the car was There's no other Way.

There's the poster. It's from a scanned full pager that I have re-touched in photoshop as the colours had faded. It hangs on my wall and it's one of the top handful of gigs I've seen.
Last edited by bluehammer on 04 May 2015, 13:37, edited 2 times in total.

bluehammer

Post by bluehammer » 04 May 2015, 13:32

Pavlich wrote: Oct 24, 1997 North Shore Event Centre, Auckland
Oct 26, 1997 Festival Hall, Melbourne
Oct 28, 1997 Metro Theatre, Sydney
Oct 29, 1997 Metro Theatre, Sydney
Oct 30, 1997 Hordern Pavilion, Sydney
Nov 01, 1997 Monash University, Melbourne
Nov 02, 1997 Metro Nightclub, Melbourne
Nov 04, 1997 Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide
Nov 06, 1997 Metropolis, Fremantle

Cheers.
This is often listed incorrectly. They never played Festival Hall in Melbourne. They played Festival Hall in Brisbane. It was knocked down in 2003.

The main source of the problem is the promoter's own website

http://www.frontiertouring.com/retail/a ... ant_id/565

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 05 May 2015, 09:41

bluehammer wrote:
Pavlich wrote:
The gig was actually at Monash's Caulfield campus, a much smaller campus that the main campus in Clayton (where I was a student). Chisholm Hall is just a big basketball court, nothing fancy about it as a 'hall' at all. As for why it was held there, I've really no idea. I suppose they have a history of playing universities and perhaps it was an easy venue for Triple J to record as ABC were located just down the road) but I'm guessing. I doubt that would have been a factor, as the gig was actually sponsored by Independent station Triple R...

They did have a great following on campus. Among my mates at least :D

It was a Frontier gig like the others so I doubt Monash chipped in any more than promotion.

I remember that it was promoted heavily around campus and in Lot's Wife (the Monash newspaper), but it was available like the Metro gigs through Tickemaster. Think tickets were $30 from memory. They went on sale at the campus ticketmaster and sold out pretty quickly.

In terms of the gig itself, there was a decent queue outside from a couple of hours prior to doors, and with Song 2 being massive there were a mix of teens and 20-somethings. It was an all-ages gig, unlike the metro.

Killjoys were support, a band from melbourne who were still doing ok around the pubs but really struggled with this crowd, I remember they got a fair bit of grief. 2 main things that I remember from the gig (rather than the recording of the gig) were the large numbers of girls - no problem with that - and the speed at which the lads played the songs. You've heard Chinese Bombs on the recording, but I remember Globe Alone (which is missing from the recording) being RIDICULOUSLY fast. MOR as well. Damon was definitely up and about though, climbing around during Advert and coming down off the stage a few times. I was in close, a few back from the rail and it was HOT. Not Radiohead-at-Festival-Hall hot but hot. My sister moved back about halfway through and it was a bit more spread out out half way back.

Although sold out, they could have sold more tickets as there was a fair bit of room at the back.

I went to the Metro gig as well and the Monash gig was far superior. Damon seemed 'tired' and the Metro crowd had a far higher dickhead count. Monash crowd was great.

Every other detail I can 'remember' I probably remember from the recording (talking of the Melbourne Cup, etc).

I do remember spending $50 on a T-Shirt and $15 on a beanie for my sister on the way out. They played for about 90 minutes and the first song I remember hearing Triple J play on the way home as we got in the car was There's no other Way.

There's the poster. It's from a scanned full pager that I have re-touched in photoshop as the colours had faded. It hangs on my wall and it's one of the top handful of gigs I've seen.
Ah this is a great read! I love hearing about shows from back in the days. In terms of Australia, it seems like that time is a serious black hole for any recollections online; glad you could recount it.

If you could compare Blur of 1997 to a current band, in terms of popularity in Australia, who would it be?
bluehammer wrote: This is often listed incorrectly. They never played Festival Hall in Melbourne. They played Festival Hall in Brisbane. It was knocked down in 2003.

The main source of the problem is the promoter's own website

http://www.frontiertouring.com/retail/a ... ant_id/565
Ah okay, that makes sense in terms of geography and logistics.

What was the Metro Theatre? I'm originally from WA, not as well versed in my Melburnian venue history. Was it the Palace?

fyfe

Post by fyfe » 06 May 2015, 06:39

Thank you for the Monash show, sounds great!

I'd love to hear more from the Aussie tour, particularly Adelaide. If anyone has it or can refer a website with a good archive, I'd appreciate it immensely! :D

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 06 May 2015, 15:07

only person likely to have it is Mr Magpie.... which seems o be the response to most things

bluehammer

Post by bluehammer » 07 May 2015, 04:23

Pavlich.... fyfe... a definite docker feel to this thread!!

Yep, The Metro Nightclub (not theatre) in Melbourne became the Palace/is becoming a soulless chinese owned hotel complex at the top end of Bourke St. Sad. Brilliant live music venue (although a shitty nightclub).

Compare blur of 1997 in Australia to a current band in Australia... ok tricky. I'd probably have said the Wombats a couple of years back, lots of Triple J play but not big mainstream cross over, but that has probably changed a bit now. Maybe Alt-J prior to their 'Stadium Mode'. Perhaps someone has a better idea, that's the best i can come up with. Certainly at the time in terms of popularity, Oasis left them for dead here, but they were very popular in the crowd I hung out with.

Perhaps The National? A very hardcore dedicated group of fans but not a huge reach.

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 26 Jan 2016, 16:37

I know that it has nothing directly to do with Blur, but Blurs support at Auckland, New Zealand, Darcy Clay, made a live EP at the gig at Oct 24. The name of this record is "Songs for Beethoven" and it maybe show a bit of the feeling at this evening, before Blur went on stage. Darcy Clay died tragically in 1998 by suicide.

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 20 Dec 2016, 15:05

http://www.oocities.org/sunsetstrip/ven ... -green.jpg

This photo is claim to be from the Australian tour. Does anybody know where it was exact taken?

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 24 Feb 2017, 06:17

Moritz wrote:http://www.oocities.org/sunsetstrip/ven ... -green.jpg

This photo is claim to be from the Australian tour. Does anybody know where it was exact taken?
Most likely Monash University. It looks like a gym and I reckon that's probably where the gig took place; I don't know if you're an Aussie but not many universities host gigs in Australia (unlike the UK) and ones in Melbourne never tend to have a proper bar let alone bandroom on campus.