Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Postby Veikko » 11 Apr 2014, 20:51

Professional reviews, in alphabetical order by publication:

It’s a pretty enough record, but not one that makes any sort of impression, breaks any ground, or leaves listeners wanting more. (C)
    A.V. Club

Upon repeated listens, the sorrowful undertow of Everyday Robots becomes a comfort. (4/5)
    AllMusic

A strikingly memorable, strangely melancholy work. (4/5)
    The Arts Desk

An ambient snoozefest marred by listless mood pieces.
    Boston Globe

Everyday Robots moves in slow motion, narrated by what sounds like a middle-age shut-in staring out at the world from his bedroom window and lamenting his species' dreary fate. (2/4)
    Chicago Tribune

These songs offer yet another new guise for a remarkable talent. (8/10)
    Clash

Albarn’s still very good at writing songs. And with this introspective statement, he’s not showing any sign of growing stale. (B)
    Consequence of Sound

Albarn is a master in taking the temperature of societies, culture and stereotypes; developing an honest, critical response within his music. (4/5)
    Daily Express

Everyday Robots is where Damon Albarn temporarily stops trying on different sonic jackets for size and settles fully into his own skin. It fits perfectly. (4.5/5)
    Digital Spy

An album that rewards investment. (4/5)
    DIY

Everyday Robots is a lovely record, and in its lack of duds or whimsical twattery it’s probably one of most consistent things Albarn has ever put his name to. (7/10)
    Drowned In Sound

[...] all the parts fall into place for what is unquestionably his most intimate expression yet. (4/5)
    entertainment.ie

Everyday Robots is a graceful and beguiling album from an artist that continues to explore, mature and surprise us with each release. (9/10)
    Exclaim!

As an audio memoir - wending through the terraces of a storied past – Everyday Robots feels pretty satisfying. (3.5/5)
    FACT Magazine

It's a weary album that can’t seem to settle on a good reason for despondency. (5/10)
    FasterLouder

The theme of technological alienation is unearned: it’s hard to share the singer’s pain when all he’s maundering about is people fiddling with smartphones. (3/5)
    Financial Times

It's hardly the big personal reveal that it's been promoted as, but still a lovely piece of work. (4/5)
    The Guardian

An intimate, introspective album that takes tentative steps to reveal the soul behind the star. (4/5)
    The Independent

We used to laugh when, during the beered-up height of Britpop, Albarn was compared to Ray Davis. We’re not laughing now. (4/5)
    The Irish Times

A magnificent chronicle of estrangement and melancholy. (8.5/10) (Album of the Week)
    The Line Of Best Fit

It's an LP full of finely observed tunes about the numbing effects of technology and modernity, produced with care and skill.
    Los Angeles Times

Nuanced and intricate but direct and simple where it needs to be, this record rewards repeated listening. (4/5)
    Metro

5/5
    Mirror

Subtly psychedelic, intuitively clever and constantly challenging. (4/5)
    Mojo

Everyday Robots isn’t by any stretch a bad record. It’s just not a compelling one and that makes it hard to recommend. (3/5)
    MSN UK

A testament to Albarn’s status as one of contemporary music’s most enduring songwriters. (4.5/5)
    musicOMH

From the moment you press play [...], it’s apparent that we’re about to be treated to all the best elements of Blur, Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad & The Queen. (4.5/5)
    theMusic.com.au

Who is he? [...] It seems Albarn's tried on so many hats, he might have forgotten which one's his own. (3/5)
    The New Zealand Herald

Though deftly orchestrated, Everyday Robots feels deflated and aimless, and the nature-versus-technology theme frequently results in clichés. (2/5)
    NOW Magazine

The Blur frontman's excellent solo debut shows us a bit more of the real him - but you have to work hard to find. (8/10)
    NME

Ultimately, Everyday Robots just sounds like another great album from one of pop music’s most fearless sonic chameleons. (7.5/10)
    Paste Magazine

All the Albarns appear on Everyday Robots. It is sleepy music, with the looseness of reggae and the bittersweet grace of gospel and soul. (7.0/10)
    Pitchfork

The most important artist of his generation [...] at the very height of his powers. (4/5)
    Q Magazine

With a restless innovator like Albarn, where you're going always matters more than where you've been. (4/5)
    Rolling Stone

Everyday Robots may be too consistently low-key for the Blur massive, but it is an exquisitely pitched solo flight from a self-confessed serial collaborator. (4/5)
    The Scotsman

Albarn has never sounded better, in some ways; the nuances of his vocal performance are powerfully evoked here. (4/5)
    The Skinny

This is some of Albarn's finest work. (8/10)
    SPIN

Albarn is looking back at his life as it unspools over some of his most subtle, beautiful and melancholy melodies. (4/5)
    Telegraph

5/5
    The Sun

4/5
    The Times

Everyday Robots is a less ebullient, more intimate and reflective affair, as befits the tentative revelation of a man's soul. (8/10)
    Uncut

Given the breadth and scale of Everyday Robots, the wait was more than worth it. (8/10)
    Under The Radar

Yet another classic in the career of one of our finest artists. (5/5)
    Virgin Media

Summary:
Positive: 35 (81%)
Mixed: 6 (14%)
Negative: 2 (5%)
Veikko
Site Admin

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Postby tommyc » 21 May 2014, 20:23

I really like the record. There are so many subtle electronic sounds that can only be appreciated, I feel, through headphones. Or at least HiFi. "You and Me" is great, I feel like it really rewards the listener during the second portion.
tommyc

Postby Veikko » 22 May 2014, 23:46

tommyc wrote:There are so many subtle electronic sounds that can only be appreciated, I feel, through headphones. Or at least HiFi.

Yes, you really need to "work out" all those details. It's interesting how the album sounds quite subtle compared to Think Tank, Gorillaz and GBQ - even if there is nearly the same amount of material in the tracks. Is it down to the mastering process, or just an artistic decision to leave it "thin" sounding? Everyday Robots was engineered/mastered by the different people than Damon's previous works.
Veikko
Site Admin

Postby tommyc » 27 May 2014, 15:59

This Richard Russell fellow that has worked on the record with Damon, really made an interesting, and intricate sounding album. Definately different when compared to Stephen Street, William Orbit, Dan the Automator and Danger Mouse. I was sort of sad to hear some critics talking about how the tracks are too quiet. I mean, Damon is getting older and creating an intimate album seems appropriate. His live shows from what i have seen online, really seem to still have a great energy. I cant wait for the June 8th gig in NYC! :)
tommyc

Postby beatfloh » 09 Sep 2014, 18:57

http://www.qthemusic.com/category/q-awards/

shortlisted for best album and best Solo Artist, well done
beatfloh

Postby 101reykjavik » 09 Sep 2014, 19:27

beatfloh wrote:http://www.qthemusic.com/category/q-awards/

Ahh, good stuff - just voted for him. Q is always pretty loyal to Damon. Expect it'll be Jake Bugg for the solo award and I'm not sure about the album one.
101reykjavik

Postby Pasta » 09 Sep 2014, 20:57

101reykjavik wrote:
beatfloh wrote:http://www.qthemusic.com/category/q-awards/

Ahh, good stuff - just voted for him. Q is always pretty loyal to Damon. Expect it'll be Jake Bugg for the solo award and I'm not sure about the album one.

it's definetly damon or jake, i can't imagine any of the others winning a q award
Pasta

Postby rich » 09 Sep 2014, 21:09

just voted too - thanks for the link :)

ER is a wonderful record - I keep returning to it (can't say the same for Dr Dee unfortunately...).
The history of a cheating heart still takes my breath away...

Looking forward to the Albert Hall gig in November :)

rich 8-)
rich

Postby 101reykjavik » 09 Sep 2014, 21:14

Yes, Albert Hall is going to be GREAT. Can't wait. Was feeling disappointed last night that we wouldn't be able to share and exchange our thoughts on the gig with everyone else on the forum, but thankfully lots of us seem to be coming here now. :D
101reykjavik

Postby beatfloh » 09 Sep 2014, 22:56

rich wrote:The history of a cheating heart still takes my breath away...

rich 8-)

this, I love it sooo much

can't wait for November, I couldn't resist, so it's Paris as warm up followed by RAH x 2 :D
beatfloh

Postby Mark72 » 10 Sep 2014, 00:09

Still listening and really enjoying ER! Cheating Heart, The Selfish Giant You and Me are my faves at the moment and so looking forward to the Albert Hall gig on the 16th November...
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”
Mark72

Postby ildi » 19 Sep 2014, 19:59

101reykjavik wrote:Yes, Albert Hall is going to be GREAT. Can't wait. Was feeling disappointed last night that we wouldn't be able to share and exchange our thoughts on the gig with everyone else on the forum, but thankfully lots of us seem to be coming here now. :D

see you there guys! ;) any tips for the special guests? i think a blur reunion is possible for a song! fingers crossed!
ildi

Next

Return to Blur