BLUR - 2023 LIVE

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

John_d

Re: BLUR - 2023 LIVE (DUBLIN DATE ANNOUNCED)

Post by John_d » 24 Nov 2022, 07:03

loveinthe90s wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 01:40
Looks like a lot of people on this forum don't like The Magic Whip too much. I think it's because this album is really all about Hong Kong, and people who don't get to experience what's been going on there are expected to not get it. But as someone who personally have some idea of that (unfortunately), I find Damon, who doesn't even speak the language, captured the underlying emotions of the city so accurately that it's painful to me. I get why a lot of people were disappointed, but in my opinion it's a beautiful album showing Damon's ability to resonate with the environment he's in.
That's interesting to me, I spent several weeks there in 2005 (incidentally, I heard Feel Good Inc a lot, which made me realise Gorillaz had become massive). Returned in 2016. Atmosphere definitely different. Which are in your opinion the especially Hong Kong influenced songs? I didn't think there's a song on TMW as beautiful as, er, Damon's very own Hong Kong. The first time I heard it (at demon days live, in Manchester) was just a few months after I'd come back from Hong Kong. So the impact on me was big, felt like Damon had written a new song about something I'd just experienced. :-)

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 24 Nov 2022, 08:10

FWIW, I also spent a fair bit of time in Hong Kong in 2013 and early 2014, going back again for a short holiday a couple of years later. I also lived in China for 3 years between 2013 and 2017 (one year of visa issues in between keeping me in the UK). I didn't feel the HK influence felt 'that' prevalent personally, although it's certainly there in the lyrics in places, thinking Go Out specifically.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 24 Nov 2022, 08:42

I don't have the energy or intention to get into the events and history of how Hong Kong people fight for democracy and what Hong Kong's fall in 2019 means to the city itself and China's political future in general. Hong Kong is also a window of Chinese people's political destiny. And there are many more lyrics on that, for example Ice Cream Man got censored in mainland because of the line "I was only twenty-one when I watched it on T.V." references the tragedy in 1989. After all, Damon was even caught up in the middle of the Umbrella Movement when he went back to Hong Kong for lyrics inspirations. The "underlying emotions" I mentioned are more in a political sense. So I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if travelers who are not so concerned about what kind of government people there have and are going to have would necessarily have picked them up. Let's just say TMW hits home quite literally for me. Your opinions on the album are completely justified, and so are mine.
John_d wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 07:03

That's interesting to me, I spent several weeks there in 2005 (incidentally, I heard Feel Good Inc a lot, which made me realise Gorillaz had become massive). Returned in 2016. Atmosphere definitely different. Which are in your opinion the especially Hong Kong influenced songs? I didn't think there's a song on TMW as beautiful as, er, Damon's very own Hong Kong. The first time I heard it (at demon days live, in Manchester) was just a few months after I'd come back from Hong Kong. So the impact on me was big, felt like Damon had written a new song about something I'd just experienced. :-)
And to sort of answer your question, Hong Kong by Gorillaz is about wondering what would happen to the city after the handover in 1997. When he wrote the song, that future looked okay, promising even. But by the time when TMW was released, the city had got a proper taste of that future, and it's grim and worrying. Not to mention the worries are confirmed to be correct after 2019. So even if Pyongyang is about, well Pyongyang, there's a similarity there. Just for the sake of the pain the city has gone through in between the years, I would of course personally find TMW more beautiful and insightful than the Gorillaz song.
I'd say My Terracotta Heart might be the least Hong Kong influenced. The rest are either influenced by the innocent city views or the political stuff.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 24 Nov 2022, 12:12

loveinthe90s wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 08:42
I don't have the energy or intention to get into the events and history of how Hong Kong people fight for democracy and what Hong Kong's fall in 2019 means to the city itself and China's political future in general. Hong Kong is also a window of Chinese people's political destiny. And there are many more lyrics on that, for example Ice Cream Man got censored in mainland because of the line "I was only twenty-one when I watched it on T.V." references the tragedy in 1989. After all, Damon was even caught up in the middle of the Umbrella Movement when he went back to Hong Kong for lyrics inspirations. The "underlying emotions" I mentioned are more in a political sense. So I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if travelers who are not so concerned about what kind of government people there have and are going to have would necessarily have picked them up. Let's just say TMW hits home quite literally for me. Your opinions on the album are completely justified, and so are mine.
Yep, the T square reference certainly didn't pass me by. I don't have a rounded enough perspective on the history in general to talk about 89 with any sense of authority. I'm neither a history nor a politics buff and wouldn't dream of telling anybody how they should feel or what their opinions on any of that should be. What was noticeable to me was the vibe and emotional currency in HK, that and to compare and contrast the umbrella movement as I witnessed it vs the BBC reporting...

As I say, given I was living in China with regular-ish HK visits around the release of TMW (before and after but visa issues during TMW's release) I had expected it to have slightly more, but that's my expectation and that was almost certainly too influenced by my being there. To me TT sounds more inspired by Africa than TMW does by Asia, but that probably reflects me having experienced a lot of Asia and none of Africa.

I don't think our opinions on TMW are actually miles apart, it's certainly got influences and the emotional currency of HK at the time in there. (For me songs line Pyongyang and MTH really capture that) It's an interesting perspective which I hadn't at all considered that this influence might be part of why its not so popular.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 24 Nov 2022, 16:14

dougharrison wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 12:12
It's an interesting perspective which I hadn't at all considered that this influence might be part of why its not so popular.
Not so popular in the "western world" sure, but pretty popular in the Chinese fandom for this exact reason. I believe it has attracted quite some fans who were too young to catch blur's heyday. Not just because it writes about a Chinese city of course. Damon, as an outsider, and awkwardly from the country that once colonized the place, was able to capture and express the unspoken. I do expect the reception to be polarised. I just don't want to leave this perspective unmentioned.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 24 Nov 2022, 16:37

loveinthe90s wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 16:14
dougharrison wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 12:12
It's an interesting perspective which I hadn't at all considered that this influence might be part of why its not so popular.
Not so popular in the "western world" sure, but pretty popular in the Chinese fandom for this exact reason. I believe it has attracted quite some fans who were too young to catch blur's heyday. Not just because it writes about a Chinese city of course. Damon, as an outsider, and awkwardly from the country that once colonized the place, was able to capture and express the unspoken. I do expect the reception to be polarised. I just don't want to leave this perspective unmentioned.
That's a very salient catch and you are totally right to pick me up on it. For my part I wasn't aware the album had been well received in mainland China, to add context when I was living there it was in an incredibly rural area, some western music permeated but it was international A list stars only. I can imagine responses in cities like Shenzhen and Shanghai may well have been more aware of it. I assumed it had gone down fairly well in HK as Blur always did quite well there, but I've only spent 4 or so days in HK after TMW was released.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Nov 2022, 15:27

Does anyone have a guess as to when warmup gigs may be announced, based on past years? If I’m flying all the way to London I wanna make sure I see blur in smaller venues if possible. Wembley will be great fun I’m sure, but the real dream is always the sweaty crazy little warmup shows.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 25 Nov 2022, 16:39

aldamasta wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 15:27
Does anyone have a guess as to when warmup gigs may be announced, based on past years? If I’m flying all the way to London I wanna make sure I see blur in smaller venues if possible. Wembley will be great fun I’m sure, but the real dream is always the sweaty crazy little warmup shows.
Previously, it's been about a week or two before the first big show. The first confirmed big one is Dublin, but there are rumours about Primavera based on a leaked (possibly not accurate) poster, which would mean the first big show is first weekend of June. If that's the case I'd imagine warm up shows are middle/end of May. Think Primavera is normally the first major festival in Europe, but of course they may play further shield abs there's no guarantee warm ups would be in the UK (although I would say that's 95% likely)

ricj

Post by ricj » 25 Nov 2022, 18:19

What tactics are recommended to actually get your hands on a warm up show ticket? Is it just a case of being in the right place at the right time when they're released? I'm sure they'll disappear in a matter of minutes. Or seconds!

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 25 Nov 2022, 22:21

It all depends how big the venue is and how well publicised it is before. I got tickets to Wolverhampton in 2009 and 2012. There were pre-sale codes to people on the mailing list and official forum. It was all kept very secretive, not like the Wembley free for all last week.

John_d

Post by John_d » 25 Nov 2022, 22:33

I have an irrational expectation that my posts here count for something, in terms of presale or codes. Of course I go onto the blur club Facebook, and I'm a relative outsider :-)

Primavera Sound 2022 was a bit of a car crash imo. Saw gorillaz from way back. Literally a quarter of a mile, just at the edge of where the crowd got really too dense. I wouldnt rush to see Blur there. Chances are you'd end up further from the stage than any seat at Wembley.

Are the warm up sets typically shorter? Festival sets of course always are shorter. The dublin show will probably be full length.. I'm keeping my options open.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Nov 2022, 23:54

Warm up shows are usually the same set length is a "big" show like Wembley or Hyde Park, with a greater chance to hear a more obscure track. Not counting the 100 Club in 2012 and MODE in 2015 which were unique and shorter shows.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 26 Nov 2022, 08:40

John_d wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 23:59
I think Go Out is pretty hard to defend as a main or lead single off a Blur album. It's not much more than a jam. Compared to gorillaz songs where the melodies are pouring out of Damon.

Lonesome Street is a poor effort. I've just re-listened to it to make sure. It's irritating in the same vein as a Sunday Sunday or TOPMAN. if I don't like it, folk who don't like Blur really must not like it!

I would welcome hearing Ghost Ship and Ong Ong. I also liked Pyongyang, but it's very He Thought Of Cars, to the extent I wonder if Stephen Street was making a kind of homage. My Terracotta Heart is also incredibly "Tender x NDLTR (Stephen's version)". I would rather hear Tender, and NDLTR. I wonder if a kind of secret concept, or working plan for Graham and Stephen, was to pay homage to earlier songs to try and make sure the tracks they'd constructed sounded "Blur" enough to the others.
Some interesting thoughts on the album.

I personally thought that the production was a bit disappointing in some parts of the album. I thought Pyongyang and Spaceman would have sounded much better if they were a bit more raw sounding. Pyongyang especially would have benefited with a stronger guitar sound. Musically it sounds a bit watery and cheap.

I like both songs but a more raw sound would have elevated to some of their best songs in my opinion.

Lonesome Street is disappointing, it is Blur by numbers and the outro sits on the Lonesome Street refrain for far too long.

Go Out, musically I love it, I think it is really cool. Damon’s vocals not so much.

Despite my gripes with it, I do really like it. Could have been great, but it falls into the good category due to the production.

Blurcast

Post by Blurcast » 26 Nov 2022, 09:37

ricj wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 18:19
What tactics are recommended to actually get your hands on a warm up show ticket? Is it just a case of being in the right place at the right time when they're released? I'm sure they'll disappear in a matter of minutes. Or seconds!
Back in the old days of the fan club, you used to get a physical slip of paper through the post with a warm up announcement and advance ticket link before anyone else. It really was a huge advantage being a member. Those days are long gone obviously, but they really should still have a way of rewarding genuine long-term fans. Unfortunately, now they just seem to use the open mailing list which must be huge. I hope they do something with Ian who runs the fan club Facebook group, although even that is open to everyone any time, including scalpers.

I fear it will be another F5 fest. Or, if they use Ticketmaster for those too, just a huge random lottery once again :x Let's hope they play a couple of mid-size theatre venues again so we at least have a chance of getting tickets. The big venues are fun, but there's nothing like being at the small gigs with the band only few meters away from you... two hours of pure energy, jumping up and down and sweat dripping off the walls!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 26 Nov 2022, 11:31

In the interviews about the Wembley gig(s) Dave mentioned tickets for possible warmup shows not going on general sale and being distributed through fan club (the only fan club they have / he knows is the Facebook group I believe?). I don't think anything has been decided yet though.