BLUR - 2023 LIVE

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Kibarry

Re: BLUR - 2023 LIVE (WEMBLEY AND FRENCH FESTIVAL ANNOUNCED)

Post by Kibarry » 21 Nov 2022, 16:29

aldamasta wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 11:48
Nice! I wonder if that means the majority of warmup shows will be in June.

Also, anyone here ever seen a show at Malahide?
I'm from there and have been to a few gigs there before (Gorillaz for one).

Live in London and going to fly home to seem them in Malahide Castle rather than Wembley.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 21 Nov 2022, 17:07

daii wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 14:57
I want to believe they're gonna tour the rest of the world after wembley (south america, 2 or 3 shows in the US, japan, australia)

The dublin show means they're not gonna play glasto (22-26 june) well they could but it would be weird
yes to this optimism! I need some of that. I honestly believe a South American tour is more likely than US shows. But I’d love to be wrong about that. :D

As far as Gorillaz commitments go as Neal Zeal was asking about… after this new record I don’t think anything’s planned or slated? For Gorillaz or other projects. Damon is always up to something of course, so if I’m missing anything someone correct me. But it looks like he has quite a clear schedule for any blurry antics that may present themselves.

tom_cas1

Re: BLUR - 2023 LIVE (DUBLIN DATE ANNOUNCED)

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Nov 2022, 22:12

The Ireland announcement gives me hope for US dates.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 21 Nov 2022, 22:14

Neal Zeal wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 15:06
And if there is new music, please let there be more quality control than there was for The Magic Whip!
Personally thought The Magic Whip was a solid piece of work with no awful songs on it. It just didn’t hit the heights of some of the earlier work.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 21 Nov 2022, 22:20

Yeah I thought TMW was pretty great, one or two ongs (see what I did there) that I could live without, but some fantastic songs on there that would rank up with their best.

bugman

Post by bugman » 21 Nov 2022, 22:38

Daysleeper wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 22:14

Personally thought The Magic Whip was a solid piece of work with no awful songs on it. It just didn’t hit the heights of some of the earlier work.
yes! its very, very good album, 8/10 for me but like u said, i missed only a outstaning track (s), something like trimm trabb/ambulance/for tomorrow

John_d

Post by John_d » 22 Nov 2022, 12:50

I noted recently on the Superstate thread - that I can't get that enthused about any new Blur material as I think, one way or another at this point, it would be just OK. Go Out was a bit of a dirge, and Lonesome Street sounded like a MLIR off cut. I did really like Ong Ong though...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 22 Nov 2022, 14:10

John_d wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 12:50
I noted recently on the Superstate thread - that I can't get that enthused about any new Blur material as I think, one way or another at this point, it would be just OK. Go Out was a bit of a dirge, and Lonesome Street sounded like a MLIR off cut. I did really like Ong Ong though...
Would you prefer them to be a greatest hits band?

ricj

Post by ricj » 22 Nov 2022, 17:40

In my opinion Pyongyang and Mirrorball are up there with any of their best songs. There's only one song on that album that I always skip and that's I Broadcast...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 22 Nov 2022, 21:19

dougharrison wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 14:10
John_d wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 12:50
Would you prefer them to be a greatest hits band?
I'd love new stuff but just much better than the Magic Whip material which to me was a massive disappointment. However, these things are obviously subjective and I am actually glad a lot of people enjoyed the album. Be interesting to see how much of it is included in next summer's set.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 22 Nov 2022, 22:12

Neal Zeal wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 21:19

I'd love new stuff but just much better than the Magic Whip material which to me was a massive disappointment. However, these things are obviously subjective and I am actually glad a lot of people enjoyed the album. Be interesting to see how much of it is included in next summer's set.
I'm sorry it disappointed you. Guess it's one of those each to their own things. Seems there's a large number who dislike at least one of leisure/think tank/TMW and I guess in that light perhaps it's right for the big shows to focus on parklife/hits. I suspect very little of TMW will be in the set (sadly I think)

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 23 Nov 2022, 08:54

dougharrison wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 22:12
Neal Zeal wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 21:19

I'm sorry it disappointed you. Guess it's one of those each to their own things. Seems there's a large number who dislike at least one of leisure/think tank/TMW and I guess in that light perhaps it's right for the big shows to focus on parklife/hits. I suspect very little of TMW will be in the set (sadly I think)
Yeah, every Blur album to my ears has at least three brilliant songs (including Think Tank and Leisure) but there isn't even one on Magic Whip. Can't help but feel the emotional side of Graham returning and it being their first album for over 10 years at least partly coloured people's judgement. They were a bunch of demos that Damon discarded, rescued by Graham, and that's always how it sounded to me.
Am glad it was a relative success though. Had it been a critical and commercial flop, they might have decided not to reform again.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 23 Nov 2022, 09:48

For me TMW is infinitely superior to Leisure, but different strikes for different folks I guess. For me Spaceman, Pyongyang and Too many of us are up there with anything the band has ever done. That said I completely understand what you are saying about the narrative angle too and the impact that may have had on fan reception at the time.

Probably moving a bit too far from the topic of Wembley shows mind, so to bring that back on topic my guess would be maybe Ghost Ship, Alex has spoken about streaming numbers for that. But would be very surprised if more than 3 TMW songs make the final set.

John_d

Post by John_d » 23 Nov 2022, 23:59

I think Go Out is pretty hard to defend as a main or lead single off a Blur album. It's not much more than a jam. Compared to gorillaz songs where the melodies are pouring out of Damon.

Lonesome Street is a poor effort. I've just re-listened to it to make sure. It's irritating in the same vein as a Sunday Sunday or TOPMAN. if I don't like it, folk who don't like Blur really must not like it!

I would welcome hearing Ghost Ship and Ong Ong. I also liked Pyongyang, but it's very He Thought Of Cars, to the extent I wonder if Stephen Street was making a kind of homage. My Terracotta Heart is also incredibly "Tender x NDLTR (Stephen's version)". I would rather hear Tender, and NDLTR. I wonder if a kind of secret concept, or working plan for Graham and Stephen, was to pay homage to earlier songs to try and make sure the tracks they'd constructed sounded "Blur" enough to the others.

Ultimately, if Blur don't want to become a jukebox or greatest hits act, then why are they playing 2 nights at Wembley? They're going to have to shoot straight down the middle with their biggest songs in order to satisfy that many people. But I think I'm OK with that.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 24 Nov 2022, 01:40

Looks like a lot of people on this forum don't like The Magic Whip too much. I think it's because this album is really all about Hong Kong, and people who don't get to experience what's been going on there are expected to not get it. But as someone who personally have some idea of that (unfortunately), I find Damon, who doesn't even speak the language, captured the underlying emotions of the city so accurately that it's painful to me. I get why a lot of people were disappointed, but in my opinion it's a beautiful album showing Damon's ability to resonate with the environment he's in.