BLUR - 2023 LIVE

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

aldamasta

Re: BLUR - 2023 LIVE (DUBLIN DATE ANNOUNCED)

Post by aldamasta » 26 Nov 2022, 14:49

If I have a chance of getting tickets to a warmup gig, sounds like I need to be more involved on the Facebook group potentially. But Facebook is so godawful. Thanks everyone for the info! It must have been so exciting getting slips in the mail from the fan club back in the day.

bugman

Post by bugman » 28 Nov 2022, 10:13

They just added a show in Italy, 22.07

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 28 Nov 2022, 12:48

aldamasta wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 14:49
If I have a chance of getting tickets to a warmup gig, sounds like I need to be more involved on the Facebook group potentially. But Facebook is so godawful. Thanks everyone for the info! It must have been so exciting getting slips in the mail from the fan club back in the day.
As the years go by, warm-up gigs get easier and easier to attend.
When a fanbase is mainly comprised of teens and 20-somethings, people are super-desperate to attend these kinds of shows.
But now, with most of the fans probably in their 40s and 50s, the level of desperation/enthusiasm to see these events is much reduced.
Demand will probably still exceed supply, but I doubt it will be that hard to get a ticket.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 28 Nov 2022, 12:54

Neal Zeal wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 12:48

When a fanbase is mainly comprised of teens and 20-somethings, people are super-desperate to attend these kinds of shows.
But now, with most of the fans probably in their 40s and 50s, the level of desperation/enthusiasm to see these events is much reduced.
Demand will probably still exceed supply, but I doubt it will be that hard to get a ticket.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that, whilst there's definitely a point to be made for conflicting priorities, eg job/family taking more commitment, there's also the speed Wembley sold out, that wouldn't have happened in say 1999.

Probably the best comparison is Pulp, think their small shows went immediately (I say Pulp due to fan demographic and also releasing tickets recently)

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 28 Nov 2022, 14:58

dougharrison wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 12:54
Neal Zeal wrote:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that, whilst there's definitely a point to be made for conflicting priorities, eg job/family taking more commitment, there's also the speed Wembley sold out, that wouldn't have happened in say 1999.

Probably the best comparison is Pulp, think their small shows went immediately (I say Pulp due to fan demographic and also releasing tickets recently)
I still reckon the true eventual demand for the Wembley Stadium shows will be much less than it seemed when the tickets went on sale. I'm pretty certain they'll be going for under face value (as happened with the Stone Roses) but we'll see.
It's not just about job/family commitments. When you're 19, pop music seems like the most important thing in the world - when you're 47, it doesn't!
Yep, the small shows will inevitably sell out immediately, too, but again a lot of this will be people trying to make a fast buck - nearer the time I expect it won't be that difficult to get one.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 28 Nov 2022, 18:36

Neal Zeal wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 14:58
I still reckon the true eventual demand for the Wembley Stadium shows will be much less than it seemed when the tickets went on sale. I'm pretty certain they'll be going for under face value (as happened with the Stone Roses) but we'll see.
It's not just about job/family commitments. When you're 19, pop music seems like the most important thing in the world - when you're 47, it doesn't!
Yep, the small shows will inevitably sell out immediately, too, but again a lot of this will be people trying to make a fast buck - nearer the time I expect it won't be that difficult to get one.
Naturally a lot of conjecture here on both our parts and I'm quite open to being wrong if I am (as I'm sure you are).

I'm not sure quite what you mean when you say "going for under face value" - do you mean resold tickets/touting, or do you mean first time sold, as per Hyde Park last time round, when a £10 charitable donation got a ticket?

If we're talking about via resales/touting, then I would expect some to go for under face value, but that's the nature of a lot of people trying to sell something at very short notice. For example I've got a ticket to see Yard Act play a small venue on Wednesday, but I might watch the football instead. I'll probably make that decision late on Wednesday, but that'll leave me a couple of hours to sell the ticket and I'll probably take half price for it, although I could get double face value on a resale site now. (fwiw I would use twickets anyway as I don't think it's right to make money on them, but that's a side issue)

From the touts (and I include ticketmaster themselves via resale in this) as long as they make an overall profit they won't care if many sell below face value, as long as the average sale is above face value i.e. They've made profit overall, and they've sold as many tickets as possible.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Nov 2022, 18:44

dougharrison wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 12:54
Neal Zeal wrote:

I agree that the small gigs will sell out really fast. don’t know how they couldn’t, regardless of demographics or what not.

Have Pulp announced small warmup shows?? I hadn’t paid attention!

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 28 Nov 2022, 19:22

dougharrison wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 18:36
Neal Zeal wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 14:58
Naturally a lot of conjecture here on both our parts and I'm quite open to being wrong if I am (as I'm sure you are).
I'm not sure quite what you mean when you say "going for under face value" - do you mean resold tickets/touting, or do you mean first time sold, as per Hyde Park last time round, when a £10 charitable donation got a ticket?
If we're talking about via resales/touting, then I would expect some to go for under face value, but that's the nature of a lot of people trying to sell something at very short notice. For example I've got a ticket to see Yard Act play a small venue on Wednesday, but I might watch the football instead. I'll probably make that decision late on Wednesday, but that'll leave me a couple of hours to sell the ticket and I'll probably take half price for it, although I could get double face value on a resale site now. (fwiw I would use twickets anyway as I don't think it's right to make money on them, but that's a side issue)
From the touts (and I include ticketmaster themselves via resale in this) as long as they make an overall profit they won't care if many sell below face value, as long as the average sale is above face value i.e. They've made profit overall, and they've sold as many tickets as possible.
The world of concert tickets has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years, ever since it's been easy to buy online.
In the old days when something sold out rapidly, that pretty much represented its true demand. Few touts were able to get their hands on tickets upfront - they did the buying and selling outside the venue.
But now it's very easy to buy online, and a big chunk of those doing so are in it to make money with no desire to see the act (fair enough - I'm not judging them!).
So, there's a panic when tickets go on sale and the true demand is much inflated - far more so than it ever was in the pre-internet era.
The £90 Stone Roses comeback tickets were going for £300 immediately after they went on sale.
As time went by, the true demand emerged, and for several weeks leading up to the concert (not just a couple of days before), you could easily grab a ticket for around £60.
My estimate is that the true number of people wanting to see Blur next summer is way below 2xWembley stadiums - probably closer to 1x Wembley stadium (which let's face it is still pretty impressive!). This will become more apparent, the closer we get to the date. However, I'm happy to be wrong. I want Damon to return to Blur properly, and a huge demand may encourage him!
Yes, the warm-up shows will sell out straightaway. But I predict the demand will be 'softer' and it will be easier to pick up a ticket subsequently at this stage of the band's existence, than when they (and we!) were young and at the top of their game.
Basically, I am v keen to see them next year, but I am being quite laid back about the ticket situation. This may eventually prove to have been unwise!

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 28 Nov 2022, 21:35

Yes, it will be easier to pick up a ticket, but that's only an equivalence to say that more touts exist. Its quite possible I'm muddying something, but bare with me...

Perhaps I'm being a pedant (in fact I almost certainly am) but personally I wouldn't consider what we are talking about here "pure demand" what we have is people investing/speculating on value. They are buying at say 150 and hoping to sell for 150+profit, in the same way supermarkets buy fresh eggs. Supermarkets don't intend to consume the eggs, supermarkets know they might have to throw some away, and some they will sell for a loss because they are running out of date, but the profit margin for those they sell at full price more than cover the costs. The equivalence here would be to suggest that supermarkets over estimate the true demand of eggs, but their aim isn't to estimate demand, it's to maximise profit. If the "legitimate" branch of these sites resell 1 ticket at £300 and one at £100, they are still £100 in profit, they don't care about pure demand.

So to say that pure demand isn't there is (in my opinion) misleading, especially to judge this based on tout pricing, because I promise you, even if they are selling some individual tickets at a loss, they are cleaning up when you look at the bigger picture.

So it's definitely true to say that it'll still be possible and certainly no more difficult than it ever was, there's certainly no guarantee prices (especially for smaller warm up shows) will be cheaper than initial prices, but if you wanted to compare a ticket for Civic Hall (as a rumoured warm up) they'll probably be marked at 50-70 and I'm sure you'll be able to get those for under 150 via resale, but that all comes down to availability of money.

FWIW, I agree entirely that it'll be possible to get tickets almost everywhere at Wembley, probably even gold circle on Saturday, for less than RRP, but I don't think this represents true demand, or average price a punter pays to get in.

Certainly for Wembley, for those who are happy to just be there, there's no need to panic about being able to get a ticket. The supply of tickets for this is far greater than it's ever been for the flagship show of any Blur 'tour' and as is well known, 2015 only sold 40k, despite the fact people could get legitimate tickets from charity partners for £10.

Warm up shows is a massive unknown though, with it being unclear how many warm up shows there will be (my guess is 2 or 3) or where they are (my guess is something like Newport, Newcastle, La Fayette [London] all prices around 50) in which case resell London tickets could easily be over £100, but like everything in latter day capitalism, supply is rarely the problem, only affordability/perceived supply.

Basil the Bat Lord

Post by Basil the Bat Lord » 29 Nov 2022, 11:14

Primavera Madrid and Barcelona announced. I believe these are the earliest dates announced so far.

daii

Post by daii » 29 Nov 2022, 12:00

all the dates so far:

06.01 Primavera Sound Barcelona, Spain
06.08 Primavera Sound Madrid, Spain
06.24 Malahide Castle, Ireland
07.06 Normandie Beauregard Festival, France
07.08 Wembley Stadium, UK [SOLD OUT]
07.09 Wembley Stadium, UK
07.22 Lucca Summer Festival, Italy

and looks like they will be playing Sziget Festival, TBA
good to know the tour won't end with wembley, praying for south america dates, I bet they'll do primavera sound argentina, brazil and chile, and maybe Corona Capital in mexico

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 29 Nov 2022, 12:33

Can probably add Summersonic to that list too, based on a leaked line up, but that's not confirmed.

Basil the Bat Lord

Post by Basil the Bat Lord » 29 Nov 2022, 12:34

dougharrison wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 12:33
Can probably add Summersonic to that list too, based on a leaked line up, but that's not confirmed.
Hooly crap I hope that is true. I might sell my Wembley ticket if they're indeed coming to Japan.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 29 Nov 2022, 12:46

As said, it's not confirmed, but was leaked way before Wembley was announced. I wouldn't go selling anything for Wembley just yet! Pulp were rumoured just as heavily for Primavera, but aren't playing it

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Nov 2022, 19:25

Neal Zeal wrote:
aldamasta wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 14:49
Warm up shows (if they happen) will sell out in minutes. Happened in 2009, 2012, 2015 and will happen again.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...