New Gorillaz album - Cracker Island

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Daft_Wader

Re: New Gorillaz album - Cracker Island

Post by Daft_Wader » 01 Sep 2022, 04:23

Even Damon himself acknowledged on the radio that it was a bizarrely long wait. I thought for sure this was going to be out by October... February seems a bit long. Definitely excited to hear the rest of it though... the singles are solid and the the album seems to be a nice blend of features and featureless.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 01 Sep 2022, 06:53

Releasing it just before the spring also sets up Gorillaz for festival season perhaps?

daii

Post by daii » 01 Sep 2022, 11:20

jonathas wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 21:24
A long wait. I wonder if it's tied to something else? Cracker Island seems very conceptual, even by Gorillaz' standards. Something big from Jamie? The first sightings of the Netflix movie? Maybe it's just down to the fucked up vinyl pressing times.
I wonder the same, it's so weird the february date, so they will probably keep on touring in 2023?? *cries in blur reunion*

stephen

Post by stephen » 01 Sep 2022, 12:10

dougharrison wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 06:53
Releasing it just before the spring also sets up Gorillaz for festival season perhaps?
Yeah I think the early months in the year are pretty good for release dates. Very long wait though, I wonder if it will leak? do things still leak these days?

daii

Post by daii » 01 Sep 2022, 12:23

the song "baby queen" is on the FIFA23 soundtrack, out in sept 27 so we'll get to hear it soon.

bugman

Post by bugman » 01 Sep 2022, 12:31

stephen wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:10
dougharrison wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 06:53
Yeah I think the early months in the year are pretty good for release dates. Very long wait though, I wonder if it will leak? do things still leak these days?
No. 1 week before, that's max

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 01 Sep 2022, 13:31

daii wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 11:20
*cries in blur reunion*
This is so relatable :lol: :( One of the first things I thought as well when I saw the release date. This is going to be a foreeeever long album rollout. It's dangerous for a blur reunion also because in the time between now and Feb, Damon may well fuck around and get inspired to make another Gorillaz record.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 01 Sep 2022, 16:08

aldamasta wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 13:31
daii wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 11:20
*cries in blur reunion*
This is so relatable :lol: :( One of the first things I thought as well when I saw the release date. This is going to be a foreeeever long album rollout. It's dangerous for a blur reunion also because in the time between now and Feb, Damon may well fuck around and get inspired to make another Gorillaz record.
I'm not sure I see another Gorillaz record, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to do something a bit less commercial, will have been Gorillaz for 2 years by that point, assuming a summer/festival season of live Gorillaz...

I think if Blur happens in 23 it'll be late '23 and I feel like it's probably 50/50. Hope to be wrong.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 01 Sep 2022, 19:33

Agreed with the blur in late ‘23, if next year at all. If it gives them time to make an album at the pace they want, I’m happy to wait. Just please result in an album, lol.

And yeah Damon might need to have another opera moment or maybe even some sort of a solo outing again, good point Doug.

JackS

Post by JackS » 07 Sep 2022, 14:15

New Gold seems to be taking on a life of itself

Radio 1 have picked it as their 'tune of the week' (never thought Damon would ever have a Radio 1 hit again!)

Spotify have it at number 1 on their global chart of track debuts Sep 2 - 4 ahead of acts like Arctic Monkeys and 1975

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 07 Sep 2022, 15:42

Wow, what happened to make Cracker Island and New Gold their most popular singles in years? I like pretty much everything from Song Machine better than these two, but I can see how the return to “traditional” singles may help.

Also if the Bad Bunny collaboration is a single, Gorillaz are gonna have a huge hit on their hands potentially…!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 10 Sep 2022, 22:39

How come there's a Silent Running studio version on YouTube when the song has only been played live thus far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVLZBVX4K0

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 11 Sep 2022, 00:48

Rubi wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 22:39
How come there's a Silent Running studio version on YouTube when the song has only been played live thus far?

It is a fan recreation. I personally prefer this version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB6wDrnckwo

Favourite song of the three, but I wish I never clicked play as I think I may find it overplayed by the time the official version is released.
aldamasta wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 15:42
Wow, what happened to make Cracker Island and New Gold their most popular singles in years? I like pretty much everything from Song Machine better than these two, but I can see how the return to “traditional” singles may help.

Also if the Bad Bunny collaboration is a single, Gorillaz are gonna have a huge hit on their hands potentially…!
Cracker Island's video gave the song a huge boost on Spotify. It was starting to slip in streams and then the video, a month after the songs release, brought it back to over 250k a day. The MV is better than anything made in the Song Machine era and the song is more commercial. Also, with the song title and the lyrics, I think it's going to have a longer shelf life simply for how memey it is.

New Gold has been huge, getting to 10 million in 10 days on Spotify. It took Cracker Island more than a month to do so. This is basically the first time Gorillaz have partnered with a huge established artist at their peak.

dougharrison wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 16:08
I'm not sure I see another Gorillaz record, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to do something a bit less commercial, will have been Gorillaz for 2 years by that point, assuming a summer/festival season of live Gorillaz...

I think if Blur happens in 23 it'll be late '23 and I feel like it's probably 50/50. Hope to be wrong.
I think there will be a deluxe version of Cracker Island released later in 2023, possibly called Static Channel or the Last Cult. 10/11 songs is pretty short by Gorillaz standards and the new meta for artists seems to be the deluxe model a few months later to capitalize on streaming. Muse and the 1975 have similar tracklists while artists like CHVRCHES, Wolf Alice and others last year did the same.

That is not to say that Damon will not be working on new Gorillaz music during the tour, but I can't see another album release in 2023 for Gorillaz. Hopefully Blur will be prioritized with Damon and Graham's schedules seemingly being in sync.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 11 Sep 2022, 07:19

idreamofpikas wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 00:48

I think there will be a deluxe version of Cracker Island released later in 2023, possibly called Static Channel or the Last Cult. 10/11 songs is pretty short by Gorillaz standards and the new meta for artists seems to be the deluxe model a few months later to capitalize on streaming. Muse and the 1975 have similar tracklists while artists like CHVRCHES, Wolf Alice and others last year did the same.

That is not to say that Damon will not be working on new Gorillaz music during the tour, but I can't see another album release in 2023 for Gorillaz. Hopefully Blur will be prioritized with Damon and Graham's schedules seemingly being in sync.
Thanks, I had no idea this was a thing now, but makes sense. I couldn't understand why there weren't any super limited deluxe versions kicking around or why only 10 tracks as most other Gorillaz albums are 15+

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Sep 2022, 09:21

idreamofpikas wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 00:48
Rubi wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 22:39

It is a fan recreation. I personally prefer this version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB6wDrnckwo
Fan recreation?? Wow, that’s ultra impressive. I took it for granted it was the official audio.