New Damon FEATURE

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

idreamofpikas

New Damon FEATURE

Post by idreamofpikas » 24 Apr 2022, 12:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObNM6AbIY34

Flume feat. Damon Albarn - Palaces

Electronica, so be warned for those of you who don't like this kind of music.

idreamofpikas

Re: New Damon FEATURE

Post by idreamofpikas » 20 May 2022, 16:22

Another new feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDz_Ms3lmts

Birdsong Project; Mark Ronson, Damon and Wale

stephen

Post by stephen » 23 May 2022, 14:57

meh

John_d

Post by John_d » 23 May 2022, 17:25

idreamofpikas wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 12:56

Heard Flume talking to Zane Lowe about this collab. Apparently Damon turned up hungover and didn't like any of the tracks being proposed, until the last one. I really like what Flume did with the vocal cut-ups . Don't know how much Damon was involved in that though! also makes me wonder how well Damon looks after himself. I suppose the yoga can't be bad!

John_d

Post by John_d » 23 May 2022, 17:26

idreamofpikas wrote:
20 May 2022, 16:22
Another new feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDz_Ms3lmts

Birdsong Project; Mark Ronson, Damon and Wale
Damon on Mark Ronson's FADER podcast is well worth a listen. Far less guarded than normal. He mentions at the end that he would like to collaborate. Will go give this a listen now!

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 27 May 2022, 04:05

idreamofpikas wrote:

This forum is really cagey about escape its teenage mindframe. most of the middle aged people I know are probably more into electronic stuff than rock these days – it's interesting, relevant, and there's so much of it that overlaps. my old man didn't grow up listening to it but 6Music has been huge in developing that corner of people re-connecting with music after bringing up kids and getting them into stuff that's genuinely cool.

I hate Flume – he just ripped off the first Toro y Moi album after all – but this isn't a bad song. and I think it suits Damon's new mould. been loving the slower stuff he's been releasing that's far more about background sounds, sound design, and atmospherics.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 27 May 2022, 04:07

John_d wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:25
idreamofpikas wrote:

Heard Flume talking to Zane Lowe about this collab. Apparently Damon turned up hungover and didn't like any of the tracks being proposed, until the last one. I really like what Flume did with the vocal cut-ups . Don't know how much Damon was involved in that though! also makes me wonder how well Damon looks after himself. I suppose the yoga can't be bad!
He is looking absolutely shocking in those South American clips.

The Magic Whip and Everyday Robots era wasn't really that long ago but he had himself far, far more together and well presented. he looks like he's trying to dress even younger now and looks really unhealthy. between that and the interesting, innuendo-laden D**** M*** article from lockdown...

stephen

Post by stephen » 27 May 2022, 09:09

He's 54

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 27 May 2022, 09:41

My impression is Damon totally loved the Latin American tour, seemed to be in great shape and great spirits. Amazing on stage, infinitely patient and sweet with fans who wanted to meet him. Fans asked him and Jamie about the pink outfits Damon and the band were wearing - it has something to do with the idea behind the forthcoming cult-themed Gorillaz album.

Flume is promoting his new album so he talks about his collaboration with Damon in every interview, so here's how it went:

"We got to work in the studio in Vegas. We both did a festival together. We went to some random studio in some car park in some weird part of Vegas. We walked in, and there’s loads of gold records from bands from 30 or 40 years ago; weird rock stuff. It smelled like weed and kind of dank in there, no windows kind of vibe.
I was nervous because I was a huge fan of his. I had a bunch of ideas prepared that I wanted to play him. I played the first idea, he wasn’t into it. Played the second idea, he was nonchalant about it. I must have played 20 different drafts and he just wasn’t into anything. And I was like, ‘Oh my god, he hates everything I’m showing him’. I was sweating so much. It was the second-to-last idea that I played him when he said, ‘Yes, this is it’. And I was like, ‘Great, thank fuck’. Then we sat together in front of a little MIDI keyboard, he played some chords over it and just hummed some stuff.” (via Billboard and MusicThech)

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 28 May 2022, 00:00

stephen wrote:
27 May 2022, 09:09
He's 54
That's not what I meant and you knew it – he's dressing like shit and looks perma-hungover. anecdotes of him drinking like a uni student and being borderline too crook to work prove it. he just seemed well more on top of it in 2015-2018ish. he looks unhealthy.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 29 May 2022, 22:25

Pavlich wrote:
28 May 2022, 00:00
stephen wrote:
27 May 2022, 09:09
He's 54
That's not what I meant and you knew it – he's dressing like shit and looks perma-hungover. anecdotes of him drinking like a uni student and being borderline too crook to work prove it. he just seemed well more on top of it in 2015-2018ish. he looks unhealthy.
As said, he's 54. But lets be clear, he has done over 200 gigs since 2017 despite Covid, has released 5 albums an EP and about to release album no6, as well as many other collaborations in the last 5 years. This idea that he's 'too crook to work' does not really stand up given how much work he has actually done in the last 5 years.

Pavlich wrote:
He is looking absolutely shocking in those South American clips.

The Magic Whip and Everyday Robots era wasn't really that long ago but he had himself far, far more together and well presented.
Everyday Robots was 8 years ago. And it was a solo album funded by Warners. Damon was the face of it and they likely had some stipulations about his appearance for the marketing. Him dressing better, and being in better shape was partly because of that. Transgressive would have no such stipulations on an artist of Damon's size.

Plus not only was he younger, with a major label but he was coming off a pretty relaxed period of working on Dr Dee and Wonderland. Projects that involve less travel and feature less debauchery than world tours at major festivals do.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 30 May 2022, 11:01

I think Damon looks fantastic for a man of his age, and I'm delighted that he's clearly enjoying every minute of his touring life.

Imagine how it feels to be a dedicated Evan Dando fan, like your melancholy correspondent.

stephen

Post by stephen » 30 May 2022, 13:11

I'd be very happy if I look like that at his age

rich

Post by rich » 31 May 2022, 16:15

Pavlich wrote:
That's not what I meant and you knew it – he's dressing like shit and looks perma-hungover.
Bollocks.

why are you obsessing about this?
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

John_d

Post by John_d » 05 Oct 2022, 11:50

A wee update, our hero (:-) ) has looked in pretty great condition this year, bright eyed and rampaging amongst crowds. There can't be many 54 year olds capable of this sort of touring schedule. I can't decide if he is on booze or err something else every night of the Gorillaz tour. Or if this is all just natural exuberance. Ultimately he is going to look a wee bit old - he's 54!