Gorillaz dream Collaborations

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

bugman

Re: Gorillaz dream Collaborations

Post by bugman » 17 Nov 2020, 12:59

JackS wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 12:00
David Byrne, Alex Kapranos and Thom Yorke are all great ideas

I’d add:
Bon Iver
The Horrors (I know it has been done but would love it to see the light of day)
Hot Chip
Ghostpoet
The Flaming Lips
Yannis Phillipakis
Paul Weller
Nick Cave
Guy Garvey
Christine and the Queens
fantastic list. i want them all!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Nov 2020, 14:06

Robert Plant would be a good one.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 17 Nov 2020, 15:11

stephen wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 06:44
Thom Yorke for me and I always thought you could do something freaky with Alex Kapranos vocals
I wonder what Damon's relation with Them Yorke is. They must have definitely met at some point. And considering how both are very experimental artists coming from the same era of British music, a collaboration between the two would be pretty awesome.

stephen

Post by stephen » 17 Nov 2020, 16:01

Heh a quick google and it looks like there's some quotes from each other but it is odd that they haven't crossed paths more publicly.

Looks like Damon attacked Radiohead's touring for one reason or another in 2006 but the original quote comes from "The Sun" so it's probably a load of rubbish

Although in 2003 he was quoted saying he admired how independent Radiohead were with their record deal(s)

And then there's this from Thom Yorke
Did you share Damon Albarn of Blur's opinion that it was inappropriate that it was a nearly all-white bill?

'Absolutely. Damon was spot on. He's braver than I am.'
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/jun/18/9

I mean....considering they are both lead singers of British bands from the 90s you would expect more crossovers heh? I feel like I could go down a rabbit hole with looking for more connections but there doesn't seem to be a lot?

Does Thom collaborate much? Maybe the independence and control he has with radiohead and his own personal values would make a collaboration difficult as I imagine the control wouldn't favour him too much?

Its all speculation of course, this lockdown is turning me into a tinfoil hat kinda guy

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 17 Nov 2020, 19:08

Alex James on bass, because that would complete all Blur members appearences on Gorillaz records. After Dave on (at least) "Punk" and Graham on "Submission" and "Magic City".

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 17 Nov 2020, 20:01

Charli XCX would be amazing

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 17 Nov 2020, 21:14

stephen wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 16:01
Heh a quick google and it looks like there's some quotes from each other but it is odd that they haven't crossed paths more publicly.

Looks like Damon attacked Radiohead's touring for one reason or another in 2006 but the original quote comes from "The Sun" so it's probably a load of rubbish

Although in 2003 he was quoted saying he admired how independent Radiohead were with their record deal(s)

Did you share Damon Albarn of Blur's opinion that it was inappropriate that it was a nearly all-white bill?

I mean....considering they are both lead singers of British bands from the 90s you would expect more crossovers heh? I feel like I could go down a rabbit hole with looking for more connections but there doesn't seem to be a lot?

Does Thom collaborate much? Maybe the independence and control he has with radiohead and his own personal values would make a collaboration difficult as I imagine the control wouldn't favour him too much?

Its all speculation of course, this lockdown is turning me into a tinfoil hat kinda guy
Wasn't there some sort of cross over on Cowboy Song, or the dead man on campus sound track or something? I'm sure I had a song labelled as being by Blur + Radiohead in the Napster days. Not that I would condone illegal downloading of course. It's much better to wait months to wait and see if a pre-order will arrive or not.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 17 Nov 2020, 21:22

dougharrison wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 21:14
Wasn't there some sort of cross over on Cowboy Song, or the dead man on campus sound track or something? I'm sure I had a song labelled as being by Blur + Radiohead in the Napster days. Not that I would condone illegal downloading of course. It's much better to wait months to wait and see if a pre-order will arrive or not.
No, that was just a mislabel.

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 17 Nov 2020, 22:47

Jarvis cocker
Paul Weller
And Me I guess lol

rich

Post by rich » 18 Nov 2020, 02:00

Kate Bush? Damon's mentioned it I think. Dr Dee was very Kate Bush...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

JackS

Post by JackS » 18 Nov 2020, 10:00

stephen wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 16:01

Thom collaborates to an extent, he’s done songs with Flying Lotus and UNKLE among others

Also don’t forget Flea is a connection as he was in Thom’s Atoms for Peace as well as Damon’s rocket juice and the moon

stephen

Post by stephen » 18 Nov 2020, 15:32

JackS wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 10:00
Also don’t forget Flea is a connection as he was in Thom’s Atoms for Peace as well as Damon’s rocket juice and the moon
That is true, let's give flea a call and make it happen :lol:

rich

Post by rich » 25 Nov 2020, 22:02

Tracy Thorne would be an obvious fit (there's the Massive Attack connection) but I can't see it happening as she doesn't like the way Damon whistles through his teeth a bit when singing :roll:
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 28 Nov 2020, 21:45

I'm actually getting sick of all these collabs. A few per album was fine, but it's getting hard to find a song that JUST has Damon singing.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 29 Nov 2020, 00:15

Stevie Nicks
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”