Superstate by Graham Coxon

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

themanwholefthimself

Superstate by Graham Coxon

Post by themanwholefthimself » 12 Nov 2020, 13:16

Hi All, i just woke up to some very good news about Graham:

https://twitter.com/grahamcoxon/status/ ... 86816?s=21

An all-new, high concept vision of the future, devised by Graham Coxon, and featuring 15 of the best graphic artists. Published by @Z2comics, Superstate is a compendium graphic novel featuring a new, original fully-illustrated score
Pre-order: grahamcoxonsuperstate.com

Has anyone heard anything about this?

themanwholefthimself

Re: Super State by Graham Coxon?

Post by themanwholefthimself » 12 Nov 2020, 13:33

Z2 Comics and Graham Coxon have teamed up to bring you Superstate, the new graphic novel with exclusive music by Graham Coxon.

Summary:

The Superstate is everywhere, and its authority is absolute. Yoga Town is a city divided. While they wait to leave the earth, the 1% can bend reality to their will, they live in a consequence free world where anything goes. Meanwhile, the masses are pacified by a drugged out, government mandated digital dreamscape while they wait to perish on this dying planet. But there is still hope, for angels roam the earth. With their help, maybe some rebellious spirits can start to make a change. Experience 15 surreal and disturbing tales of rebellious fembots, celebrity turkey shoots, violent astral projection and an all-new take on the TV dinner.

The Super Deluxe Edition of the graphic novel includes (Limited Edition of 500):

Special Oversized Hardcover Graphic Novel
Exclusive Graham Coxon Music
(3) never before seen 'Superstate'-inspired Art Prints
Limited edition slipcase for graphic novel with insert signed by Graham Coxon
Special gift (TBA at a later date)

The Deluxe Edition of the graphic novel includes (Limited Edition of 3,000):

Special Oversized Hardcover Graphic Novel
Exclusive Graham Coxon Music
(3) never before seen 'Superstate'-inspired Art Prints
Limited edition slipcase for graphic novel

The Standard Edition (Softcover) version of the graphic novel includes:

Softcover graphic novel

***PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A PRE-ORDER ITEM. ORDERS ARE CURRENTLY EXPECTED TO SHIP MARCH-APRIL, 2021.
Release Date: March 23rd, 2021

Writer & Artist Credits:

Written by Graham Coxon and Hellen Mullane

Illustrated by Alex Pakanadel

Edited by Ryan Cady

Art Prints by Koren Shadmi, Maria Llovet and Soo Lee

Design by Courtney Menard and Tyler Boss

jonathas

Re: Super State by Graham Coxon?

Post by jonathas » 12 Nov 2020, 13:35

Just saw that, looks good. Graham is wonderful.

Interesting to see one of the key musicians in Blur having such an original idea, meanwhile. A vaguely dystopian, fantastical excursion into high-concept pop, accompanied by comic-book visuals. Where've I heard that before...

Looking forward to Dave's sci-fi cartoon opera about Norfolk County Council.

vitekm

Re: Superstate by Graham Coxon

Post by vitekm » 12 Nov 2020, 20:22

This is his third major project announced this yer - after Bloodwitch soundtrack album and album with TJHC. Not to mention a few "minor" collabs. Quite Albarn-esque work ethic/productivity. (Venture into comics is not surprising from a man who have introduced Damon Albarn to Jamie Hewlett.)

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 12 Nov 2020, 20:49

Looks like a cool project, not sure I can persuade myself to part with enough money to buy the music though, as it seems that's only available as the limited bundles, but the story/comic looks reasonably cool as someone with a passing interest in sci-fi, comics/graphic novels a little less so.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 12 Nov 2020, 21:07

I think (hope) that the music will be available separately in some form.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 12 Nov 2020, 21:26

vitekm wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 21:07
I think (hope) that the music will be available separately in some form.
Yes I'm thinking you are right. Feeling a bit stung financially on the Gorillaz release (what with them having discounted the album to half price before I received my pre-release order) has got me way of pre-ordering anything at the moment.

Might be the case we need to wait a while for a musical stage alone release, but I'm sure it will come.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 12 Nov 2020, 22:39

Btw, Gorillaz´s Almanac is also published by Z2 Comics.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 13 Nov 2020, 08:25

Why can't he just put out a normal solo album? All this soundtrack, shitey superband, and novelty stuff does is uninspire me.

stephen

Post by stephen » 13 Nov 2020, 08:28

Pavlich wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 08:25
Why can't he just put out a normal solo album? All this soundtrack, shitey superband, and novelty stuff does is uninspire me.
I imagine the netflix soundtracks he's been doing are financially rewarding (but don't hold me to that)

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 13 Nov 2020, 09:26

Pavlich wrote:
But the soundtracks, both The End of... and I´m Not Okay... (Bloodwitch) consists mostly of real songs, not just some "theme music" or instrumental bits. You can listen it almost like proper album. And it definitely reaches wider audience than his "normal" solo album would. Just listen to the songs, they are great.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 13 Nov 2020, 09:41

Pavlich wrote:
I have no idea what, if anything has changed, nor can I claim to know how accurate this is, think it's an impression I got from here, but after releasing A&E GC said he had another album that was pretty much ready to release, but was struggling to find anyone who was interested in releasing it.

Now attempting to turn that in to a story, I wonder if for somebody with a solo career as eclectic, crossing a wide range of genres and not much commercial success as a 50 something solo artist is seen as too much of a risk in an era when physical media doesn't really sell.

So my theory is that he would be more than happy to put out a "normal solo album" but isn't able to find someone willing to put it out. Without knowing the story behind what happened with his Transcopic label, I assume he has his reasons for not wanting to self-produce etc.

Plus given his art etc I can believe he has gone in to this project on it's own merits as opposed to seeing it as a convoluted vehicle for his music.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 14 Nov 2020, 00:11

There are 9 Graham Coxon songs on Spotify that hit 1 milion listens mark. 7 out of those 9 are from soundtracks. Another comparation is maybe even more revealing: his most popular song on Spotify, "Walking All Day" from first season of The End Of The Fucking World", has 7.5 milion listens. "Freakin Out", his most popular or well-known song, from his most succesful album, Hapiness in Magazines, has 1.9 milion listens.

A+E, despite receiving very srong reviews, peaked at no. 39 in UK chart. Which means it didn´t sell at all. What´ll Take, the most popular song from this album on Spotify, has 318k listens.

(The comparison may be skewed by the fact that not all of his albums are available in some countries.)

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 14 Nov 2020, 01:26

vitekm wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 00:11
There are 9 Graham Coxon songs on Spotify that hit 1 milion listens mark. 7 out of those 9 are from soundtracks. Another comparation is maybe even more revealing: his most popular song on Spotify, "Walking All Day" from first season of The End Of The Fucking World", has 7.5 milion listens. "Freakin Out", his most popular or well-known song, from his most succesful album, Hapiness in Magazines, has 1.9 milion listens.

A+E, despite receiving very srong reviews, peaked at no. 39 in UK chart. Which means it didn´t sell at all. What´ll Take, the most popular song from this album on Spotify, has 318k listens.

(The comparison may be skewed by the fact that not all of his albums are available in some countries.)
Interesting and thank you for the data, which I feel largely vindicates my suspicions, however it's probably fair to add for context that Freakin Out predates Spotify's launch by about 5 years, so to measure it's popularity Vs more recent material is always going to give a skewed perception. I couldn't find any sales figures on A&E on Google, which I guess indicates under 50k, but it may have sold more physical copies than SM, but that's purely due to the changing ways people listen to music rather than popularity.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Nov 2020, 06:19

Pavlich - interesting point about why doesn't Graham release a 'normal solo album'. And I agree with Doug's assessment of the reasons why.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."