Damon Albarn hints at future Gorillaz collab with Paul McCartney

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

stephen

Re: Damon Albarn hints at future Gorillaz collab with Paul McCartney

Post by stephen » 13 Nov 2020, 14:21

The cold never bothered me anyway

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Nov 2020, 19:18

Let's move on, folks.

I'd dig a McCartney/Gorillaz collaboration.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 13 Nov 2020, 19:55

tom_cas1 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 19:18
Let's move on, folks.

I'd dig a McCartney/Gorillaz collaboration.
I look forward to what (hopefuly) interesting "McCartney III" brings. Also, I used to think it might be interesting if Damon produced his solo album. Because when Nigel Godrich (someone from Damon generation) did, the outcome was satisfying.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Nov 2020, 20:03

McCartney can experiment, just look at his back catalogue. McCartney I, McCartney II, the Fireman albums, and now McCartney III which will definitely be experimental base on the previous two McCartney albums. Paired with Gorillaz? That would be something special. I hope we see it. Who knows, maybe Song Machine, Season Two!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 13 Nov 2020, 20:15

tom_cas1 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:03
McCartney can experiment, just look at his back catalogue. McCartney I, McCartney II, the Fireman albums, and now McCartney III which will definitely be experimental base on the previous two McCartney albums. Paired with Gorillaz? That would be something special. I hope we see it. Who knows, maybe Song Machine, Season Two!
Specially McCartney II have some proto-Gorillaz moments. I know his solo career quite well and I mostly like it, but closer insight also brings one doubt. Have he ever done a realy memorable collab with anyone? Of course, Say Say Say was massive hit at the time. But other than that? One can mention his teaming up with Elvis Costello, on his own as well as on EC´s albums. But more recently, in, say, last 20 years?

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 13 Nov 2020, 20:55

stephen wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 07:42
vitekm wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 20:00
stephen wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 09:34
I've got to say I have no time for Paul McCartney either, same for Peter Cook. You'll never be able to change my mind that's just my opinion
Depends on whether you opinion is informed (you know his work as solo artist very well and you still don´t like it, whis is perfectly fine) or not (which is perfectly fine too, but it leaves a room for little education). My reasons why this COULD be a good (or reasonable) collaboration are listed above.
So the reason I don't like Paul McCartney and Peter Cook is because I'm not well educated enough :lol: :lol:

We are a species built on emotion, sometimes I just don't like someone
They did say 'depends'. Given you did not, and still have not, given a reason for your dislike don't blame others for filling in the possible gaps.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 13 Nov 2020, 21:02

vitekm wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:15
Specially McCartney II have some proto-Gorillaz moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAnNgCsNMnk

Check My Machine and Secret Friend should be the obvious links to Gorillaz. Most of the planned double album for McCartney II was very forward thinking.

vitekm wrote:
I know his solo career quite well and I mostly like it, but closer insight also brings one doubt. Have he ever done a realy memorable collab with anyone?

The Stevie collaboration on Tug of War (not Ebony and Ivory), What's That You're Doing? is a great collab that suits both Stevie and Paul's talents. The Rockestra Theme is very memorable.

vitekm wrote:
Of course, Say Say Say was massive hit at the time. But other than that? One can mention his teaming up with Elvis Costello, on his own as well as on EC´s albums. But more recently, in, say, last 20 years?
Cut Me Some Slack with the former members of Nirvana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBd9330h9kI

And obviously Kanye is not for everyone, but his 3 collaborations with him were all very successful.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Nov 2020, 21:12

He also did the Rhianna/Kanye collab but that was shite. Although probably financially huge.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 13 Nov 2020, 22:57

idreamofpikas wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:02
vitekm wrote:
Specially McCartney II have some proto-Gorillaz moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAnNgCsNMnk

Check My Machine and Secret Friend should be the obvious links to Gorillaz. Most of the planned double album for McCartney II was very forward thinking.

vitekm wrote:
I know his solo career quite well and I mostly like it, but closer insight also brings one doubt. Have he ever done a realy memorable collab with anyone?

The Stevie collaboration on Tug of War (not Ebony and Ivory), What's That You're Doing? is a great collab that suits both Stevie and Paul's talents. The Rockestra Theme is very memorable.

vitekm wrote:
Of course, Say Say Say was massive hit at the time. But other than that? One can mention his teaming up with Elvis Costello, on his own as well as on EC´s albums. But more recently, in, say, last 20 years?
Cut Me Some Slack with the former members of Nirvana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBd9330h9kI

Yes, What's That You're Doing? Great point, thanks for reminding! Rockestra Theme is ok, but I also like "So Glad To See You Here" with same line-up. Cut Me Some Sluck felt a bit forced, I wasn´t big fan of that, but its still interesting, at least. 3 stars out of 5 in my book. I more enjoyed his collab with Foo Fighters, "Sunday Rain", where´s he´s just on drums.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 13 Nov 2020, 23:01

tom_cas1 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:12
He also did the Rhianna/Kanye collab but that was shite. Although probably financially huge.
I saw him doing Four Five Seconds live, in Prague in 2016 - without Kanye and Rihanna, obviously - and it was nice rendition within his set. Nothing special, but no disaster.