Damon Albarn hints at future Gorillaz collab with Paul McCartney

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Damon Albarn hints at future Gorillaz collab with Paul McCartney

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Nov 2020, 23:15

OMG. Everyone's (well mine and several others) ultimate fantasy collaboration might finally come to fruition!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/damon-al ... ey-2810972

vitekm

Re: Damon Albarn hints at future Gorillaz collab with Paul McCartney

Post by vitekm » 07 Nov 2020, 10:17

Great news! Damon and Paul already met on the stage, during one Africa Express event in 2012, playing songs from McCartney II, the album for which, amongs many other things, Macca realy deserves Gorillaz collab and recognition. Also, Gorillaz have made several Beatles hints throughout their career,most recently in "Momentary Bliss".

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 07 Nov 2020, 16:27

That'd be interesting. Though my dream collaboration would be with Alex Turner or Neil Hannon.

bugman

Post by bugman » 07 Nov 2020, 20:19

Rubi wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 16:27
That'd be interesting. Though my dream collaboration would be with Alex Turner or Neil Hannon.
oh, yes!!!!! i want Alex !!!!!!!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 07 Nov 2020, 23:33

bugman wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 20:19
Rubi wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 16:27
oh, yes!!!!! i want Alex !!!!!!!
And coincidentally, YouTube just suggested me this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFNhNo1KVY :D

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 10 Nov 2020, 06:11

It's a bit like football, two lumps of uber talent is barely a guarantee of success. Even more so when they're from distinctly different places, times, and are chucked together later on.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 10 Nov 2020, 07:13

Pavlich wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 06:11
It's a bit like football, two lumps of uber talent is barely a guarantee of success. Even more so when they're from distinctly different places, times, and are chucked together later on.
1) Damon and Paul are very similar musicians in terms of work ethics. They both view making music as a day job, monday to friday routine. Thats why they both churn out so many things and - arguably - can have trouble with quality control.

2) We can discuss rather strong conections between the The Beatles and Gorillaz in terms of play with alternate identity (from which came whole idea for Sgt. Pepper´s Lonely Hearts Club Band) or merging music with cartoon (Yellow Submarine). Also, there are quite numerous Beatles hints throughout Gorillaz career, both in pictures and lyrics.

3) Not sure, how familiar are you with McCartney solo catalogue, albums like Mccartney II with a few quite Gorillaz-esque tracks or his stuff released under alter ego Fireman, to make a claim they are so distincly from other worlds. (And by the way, just a fun fact - Remi Kabaka´s father apears on McCartney album Band on the Run.)

4) None of this means the collab will be any good. But I´d say Give Macca a Chance

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 11 Nov 2020, 21:40

I genuinely hate Paul McCartney, the guy is an absolute c**t

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 11 Nov 2020, 22:16

Mark87uk wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 21:40
really frustrating, when one tries to come up with some arguments, you know, discuss the topic - then comes c...t like you to ruin it with meaningles, rude "post". Sad.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 11 Nov 2020, 22:18

P. S. whorever you are, you show zero respect for other people in this forum. Period.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 12 Nov 2020, 00:56

Mark87uk wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 21:40
Can I ask why? Paul, after Damon, is my second favourite musician. There are genuinely a lot of misconceptions about him, like Damon in fact.

stephen

Post by stephen » 12 Nov 2020, 09:34

I've got to say I have no time for Paul McCartney either, same for Peter Cook. You'll never be able to change my mind that's just my opinion

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 12 Nov 2020, 20:00

stephen wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 09:34
I've got to say I have no time for Paul McCartney either, same for Peter Cook. You'll never be able to change my mind that's just my opinion
Depends on whether you opinion is informed (you know his work as solo artist very well and you still don´t like it, whis is perfectly fine) or not (which is perfectly fine too, but it leaves a room for little education). My reasons why this COULD be a good (or reasonable) collaboration are listed above.

stephen

Post by stephen » 13 Nov 2020, 07:42

vitekm wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 20:00
stephen wrote:
Depends on whether you opinion is informed (you know his work as solo artist very well and you still don´t like it, whis is perfectly fine) or not (which is perfectly fine too, but it leaves a room for little education). My reasons why this COULD be a good (or reasonable) collaboration are listed above.
So the reason I don't like Paul McCartney and Peter Cook is because I'm not well educated enough :lol: :lol:

We are a species built on emotion, sometimes I just don't like someone

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 13 Nov 2020, 12:04

stephen wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 07:42
vitekm wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 20:00
stephen wrote:
So the reason I don't like Paul McCartney and Peter Cook is because I'm not well educated enough :lol: :lol:

We are a species built on emotion, sometimes I just don't like someone

I didn´t say that you are illiterate :-) You are just taking my word. So I try again - "leaves a little room for exploration". But we are obviously talking about two different things, me about music, you about personality. (And again, I dont mind you don´t like McCartney. This whole discussion came about because someone very inteligently "contributed" to this topic by saying someone´s "c..t, without bothering to bring up ANY argument.)