the Good, the Bad & the Queen - the end?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

rich

the Good, the Bad & the Queen - the end?

Post by rich » 02 Aug 2020, 18:06

I always felt that with Tony Allen's sad death a few months ago that this would be the end of GBQ :cry:

But I was just checking Merrie Land's release date this afternoon when I saw this on Wiki ... "Merrie Land is the second and final studio album by English art rock supergroup The Good, the Bad & the Queen".

FINAL. Wow. That little word is so shocking - and it shocked me to see it in print. I guess that must be the case. It just wouldn't be the same without Tony. He was so integral to the band...

GBQ were such a tight little band. I've many happy memories of seeing them live. I do hope we get to see Damon, Paul and Simon together again at some point. Simon showed up in the pics for Damon's 'Fountain' stream earlier this year, and of course Paul was in gorillaz for the 2010 tour...

But final...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

bugman

Re: the Good, the Bad & the Queen - the end?

Post by bugman » 02 Aug 2020, 20:11

i think, it's the end/ maybe they are gonna put unreleased tracks someday (remember they try to make new record around 2008 and maybe 2011/2) but no live gigs

stephen

Post by stephen » 03 Aug 2020, 07:31

Yeah I guess this would be the end, perhaps damon albarn would introduce another setup and call it something different? But maybe it's all too soon

I'm so grateful to see them live, I think it's up there with one of the best memories of my life

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 03 Aug 2020, 10:25

Damon announced it at their last scheduled gig appearance, which was at Pinkpop or Pukkelpop festivals in Europe. 'This is it, after this, poof; gone' he said.

daii

Post by daii » 03 Aug 2020, 12:36

Yeah i think it's the end. Damon should ask Paul to re-join Gorillaz, or maybe start another project with him and other people.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 03 Aug 2020, 14:17

It’s so sad, but what a lovely band they were. One of the tightest bands ever. Has there ever been a greater rhythm section? I highly doubt it...

RIP Tony. Best drummer of all time. If there truly is more unreleased material out there, though, I would kill to hear it.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 04 Aug 2020, 03:28

Some things are only supposed to be finite. I never liked them as much as I willed myself to, but they go out with a pretty tight little discography and a vibe of being well curated.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Aug 2020, 00:07

aldamasta wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 14:17
Has there ever been a greater rhythm section? I highly doubt it...
I love TGTB&TQ but yes, there have been better rhythm sections. A shed load.

It’s definitely the end. Such a sad thought. Their last album was a masterpiece. But I do agree that previously unreleased tracks could see the light of day at some point.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 05 Aug 2020, 08:32

Been listening to the second GBQ recently for first time in yonks. Pleasantly surprised. But I'd say it's still good rather than great. 7/10 rather than the first one's 9/10. Still, it's miles better than The Magic Whips (which I just find an effort to sit through).
Anyone else hear the rumour that Damon received an OBE mainly because the Queen herself loved the first GBQ album so much?
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 05 Aug 2020, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

rich

Post by rich » 05 Aug 2020, 09:22

:lol:

Who gets what gong has bugger all to do with the Queen!

One of the Good - or more likely one of the Bad - will have put him forward...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 05 Aug 2020, 09:44

rich wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 09:22

The quote I heard was; "One is deeply fond of the GBQ album particularly the song 80's Life (as one was in ones 80s on its release) and the title track as it references oneself. Marvelous!"
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 05 Aug 2020, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

stephen

Post by stephen » 05 Aug 2020, 10:03

Neal Zeal wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 09:44
rich wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 09:22

The quote I heard was; "One is deeply fond of the GBQ album particularly the song 80's Life (as one was in her 80s on its release) and the title track. Marvelous!"
:lol: :lol:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Aug 2020, 18:33

Pavlich wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 03:28
Some things are only supposed to be finite. I never liked them as much as I willed myself to, but they go out with a pretty tight little discography and a vibe of being well curated.
That is an interesting viewpoint which I can't disagree with.

Their songs don't jump out at me like many Blur (or Gorillaz) ones do.

I certainly liked the first album, and played it a lot at the time. The later one I did not take to so much.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Aug 2020, 07:59

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 18:33
Pavlich wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 03:28
That is an interesting viewpoint which I can't disagree with.

Their songs don't jump out at me like many Blur (or Gorillaz) ones do.

I certainly liked the first album, and played it a lot at the time. The later one I did not take to so much.
For me the first one is better because I've played it so many times but the second one for me personally is of a higher more polished finish. Dangermouse forgot to plugin Tony's drum kit for most of the album which is just bizarre, one of the biggest selling points was that he was on the album, yet, he doesn't really feature on half of the songs. Strange because they seemed to go all out on Herculean for the lead single

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 07 Aug 2020, 10:59

I seem to be in a bit of a minority in preferring the second album to the first. I think it's really strong album from start to finish with not a weak track on it. I consider a good half dozen of the songs to be up there with Damon's very best work in the last decade easily.