Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

jonathas

Re: Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Post by jonathas » 28 Mar 2020, 12:51

dparrott wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 00:23
Rubi wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 21:22

Yet Think Tank is a fantastic album.
That's a matter of opinion. The Graham influence is clearly missing and it suffers for it. Graham would not let a song like Jets be on an album.
Out of interest, what makes you think that? I mean, Graham has a long interest in free jazz and plays the sax. It's one of my fave songs on the record, so obviously I'm biased, but maybe Graham has commented on that track or something and I missed it?

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 28 Mar 2020, 18:40

dparrott wrote:
Rubi wrote:

That's a matter of opinion. The Graham influence is clearly missing and it suffers for it.
Think Tank is a good album, but not a "blur" album.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 28 Mar 2020, 19:18

Yeah fair enough Rubi, I suppose a Blur project is exclusively 4 members(save from the odd collaboration with British personalities and French singers), so it maybe doesn’t appeal to Damon’s expansive, collaborative aspirations whenever he pursues a musical project anymore. I just misread you as kind of putting it across as though a Blur album is a foregone conclusion in terms of its process and how it would turn out. I was just emphasising that Blur are collaborative.

No, I don’t think I have described Graham as being a Rock n Roll guitarist. I would say that guitar players such as Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Mick Ronson and Peter Green are Rock n roll guitar players. Guitar players who derive much of their style from traditional rock n roll and blues. I would put Graham in the more specific category of guitar players who are artistically innovative in terms of how they channel the human condition into songs. Guitar players such as Johnny Marr, Johnny Greenwood, Ed O’Brien, Robert Fripp, Vini Reilly, Adrien Belew and John Frusciante to name a few. Players more pioneering in terms of songwriting... I suppose we will all have different ideas what a Rock n roll guitar player is. Rock n roll has become a very broad term. Not really one I would personally ever associate with Blur, though.

Think Tank is great, but largely it just doesn’t sound like Blur. There’s a trademark sound and atmosphere that trickles through all the albums from Leisure to 13, but it’s completely absent from Think Tank. I must stress that I do love Think Tank though.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 29 Mar 2020, 21:54

loveinthe90s wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 18:40
dparrott wrote:
Rubi wrote:

That's a matter of opinion. The Graham influence is clearly missing and it suffers for it.
It's a "Blur" album as any Blur album is. I really can't stand this point of view. Just because a member is missing doesn't make the contribution of the remaining members obsolete.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 29 Mar 2020, 22:46

Rubi wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 21:54
loveinthe90s wrote:
dparrott wrote:

It's a "Blur" album as any Blur album is. I really can't stand this point of view. Just because a member is missing doesn't make the contribution of the remaining members obsolete.
That's not what I meant. Don't get me wrong, I love Think Tank, and I do think the dynamics during that era is fascinating, but I guess it depends on how you define a blur album. For me it's always about the chemistry between the four of them, the perfect balance and tension that make blur so special. Of course, each to their own.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 30 Mar 2020, 03:01

jonathas wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 12:51
dparrott wrote:
Rubi wrote:

That's a matter of opinion. The Graham influence is clearly missing and it suffers for it. Graham would not let a song like Jets be on an album.
Out of interest, what makes you think that? I mean, Graham has a long interest in free jazz and plays the sax. It's one of my fave songs on the record, so obviously I'm biased, but maybe Graham has commented on that track or something and I missed it?
Maybe the sax bit, but a repetitive guitar riff that sounds like a demo and repeated lyrics? You really think Graham would go for that? That's not up to Blur standards. Gorillaz, yes.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 30 Mar 2020, 04:19

didnt seem to stop him signing off on a load of middling dross when it came to the magic whip :p

stephen

Post by stephen » 30 Mar 2020, 08:15

dparrott wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 03:01
That's not up to Blur standards. Gorillaz, yes.
Is someone a little bit biased? :D

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 01 Apr 2020, 11:58

loveinthe90s wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 22:46
Rubi wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 21:54
loveinthe90s wrote:

That's not what I meant. Don't get me wrong, I love Think Tank, and I do think the dynamics during that era is fascinating, but I guess it depends on how you define a blur album. For me it's always about the chemistry between the four of them, the perfect balance and tension that make blur so special. Of course, each to their own.
Yes, I get it. Blur will always be Damon, Graham, Alex and Dave. Taking one off, especially someone crucial like Graham, and the band is incomplete.

Nevertheless, Think Tank feels exactly like a Blur album. With or without Graham, it was the direction the band was headed to at that time. Would it have sounded different with Graham on board? Definitely. But consider a song like Battery in Your Leg, which has Graham on it. Does it sound out of place in the context of the album? Not one bit.