Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

bugman

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by bugman » 29 Oct 2020, 17:44

for me it's best gorillaz album since dd and top 5 damon has ever written

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 29 Oct 2020, 19:12

semi wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:41

I'm thinking what a Good album it would have been if Damon used songs from these 3 albums, just in one.

1- Humility
2- Tranz
3- Kansas
4- The valley of pagans
5- The lost chord
6- Saturn Barz
7- She's My Collar
8- Lake Zurich
9- We've got the power
10- Sex Murder Party
11- Andromeda
12- Momentary Bliss
13- Souk Eye
Weird you say that, because I was thinking when I went for a run earlier if we end up with Season 2, as seems likely it'll be something like 4 albums in 5 years and I was thinking by that stage there's probably/hopefully enough material to make 2 really good albums. Would change quite a few of your selections tbh. All ifs and buts of course and we've got what we've got...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 29 Oct 2020, 19:52

semi wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:41
Now I've listened to SM1 many times. I'm disappointed with the album. The only tracks that are good for me are: The valley of pagans (I've been waiting years for this collaboration between my two favourite artists), The Lost Chord and Momentary Bliss.

Desole, Chalk Tablet Towers and Strange Timez are OK songs, but the rest of the album seems to be a filler for me and I probably won't listen to them anymore.

I think this is the worst Gorillaz Album ever probably. The ranking of the 3 latest albums for me are:

- The now now
- Humanz (I didn't like this one, but it's better than SM1)
. Song Manchine

I'm thinking what a Good album it would have been if Damon used songs from these 3 albums, just in one.

1- Humility
2- Tranz
3- Kansas
4- The valley of pagans
5- The lost chord
6- Saturn Barz
7- She's My Collar
8- Lake Zurich
9- We've got the power
10- Sex Murder Party
11- Andromeda
12- Momentary Bliss
13- Souk Eye

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 29 Oct 2020, 21:08

windymiller wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 18:48
Still waiting for my copy to be delivered from Gorillaz Store. Was due to come bundled with the Deluxe Almanac, then they said last week the Almanac was delayed a month but the CD would be sent separately. Nothing came over weekend, then Monday I get an email saying Almanac and CD had been shipped. But still nothing.
I'm avoiding streaming it because I'm old fashioned. Bitterly disappointed with the way they've treated the fans who ordered it 5 months ago especially when at that point it seemed like the £80 we were paying was the only way to get a physical copy of the album.
Well this isn't going to cheer you up, but it's half price on the Gorillaz site today. Must be a big push for the #2 slot...

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 30 Oct 2020, 02:41

John_d wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 10:11

This is really interesting thank you. I didn't know there was a way to analyse YouTube accounts. Gorillaz (and Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead - obvious contemporaries) all have a B+ rating, Coldplay are A-. I would have thought it would be more like Gorillaz A- and Coldplay A or A+. Who is popular enough to be A or A+? Ed Sheeran?
Yup, Ed is indeed an A. Obviously Coldplay and Gorillaz are both -A, but Coldplay are closer to being an A and Gorillaz a B+ so there is some gap between the 309th most popular music act on Youtube and the 93rd.

John_d wrote:
Also what do you term as "success"?
I think we all understand that success is relative, so when I talk about Damon's success it does take into account his age, his last decade and the style of music he plays; Rock/Alternative music is pretty much at its nadir in terms of chart viability.

So for me, I'm comparing Damon against his peers, acts in the past who were still successful at his age (McCartney, the most successful musician of all time, was also struggling with getting into the charts at his age and was no longer getting Platinum albums) as well as other rock alternative acts.

Saturn Barz has over 100 million views on both Youtube and Spotify. Humilty, 86 million on Youtube and 78 on Spotify will also have over 100 million on both platforms by this time next year. They are successful songs for an alternative act, not the most successful, but successful.

John_d wrote:
I like Saturn Barz and Humility, but I don't love them, and I don't get the impression they made a big splash? I suppose the 360 video did well on YouTube perhaps?

Would you say Liam's Wall of Glass was successful? Charted at 21 in the UK compared to Humility's 81. However, on Spotify and Youtube it has 56 million and 16 million. Less than half of Humility's combined totals. I'd label both songs as successes, but Humility has performed the better and will likely continue to increase its lead over Wall of Glass.

Perhaps we have different expectations or qualifications for success.

John_d wrote:
I would have thought Gorillaz heavy touring would make a big impact on their social media numbers (tens of thousands of folk watching a headline set at a festival checking out their accounts the day after), but perhpas not.
It makes a splash, but not for long. A few days, a week, maybe a fortnight if it was truly an exceptional performance. But things get old incredibly quickly on social media, people move on.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 30 Oct 2020, 08:23

I don't know when it's meant to ship, but has anyone had the Super Deluxe Box arrive? Reckon it's worthwhile getting? I wasn't going to because I thought I was an adult who 'wasn't going to waste my money on stupid box sets' anymore, but I'm considering it now. :oops:

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 30 Oct 2020, 17:14

Into a week of listening to the album, my opinion of it has gone from a 7 maybe 8 to a firm 8. I think rather than the individual songs growing on me more, I'd say its more of the experience of listening to the album from start to finish and is a pure joy, I think the Damon presence and guest vocalist contribution is spot on, it does feel like a true Gorillaz album, and none of the 11 songs are bad, far from it. It doesn't reach the heights of DD, but this is to me is one of Damons most coherent pieces of work in a long time. Looking forward to hearing in a live format in December :)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 30 Oct 2020, 21:31

northernmonkey wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 17:14
Into a week of listening to the album, my opinion of it has gone from a 7 maybe 8 to a firm 8. I think rather than the individual songs growing on me more, I'd say its more of the experience of listening to the album from start to finish and is a pure joy, I think the Damon presence and guest vocalist contribution is spot on, it does feel like a true Gorillaz album, and none of the 11 songs are bad, far from it. It doesn't reach the heights of DD, but this is to me is one of Damons most coherent pieces of work in a long time. Looking forward to hearing in a live format in December :)
+1

It's a damn good album. The melodies are catchy and the production is lush and colourful. By far Damon's finest work with Gorillaz since Plastic Beach.

I kind of feel bad for listening to all the pre-released singles so much beforehand cos now it kind of lessens the experience.

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 31 Oct 2020, 02:35

Really enjoying the album so far. I have the standard CD at the moment (waiting on the expanded CD and almanac still).

Like everyone I have my favorites, but on the whole really enjoying it.

Early standouts: The Valley of the Pagans, The Lost Chord, Chalk Tablet Towers, The Pink Phantom, Aries, and Desole

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 31 Oct 2020, 16:10

Got around to listen to the bonus tracks. Way too experimental with little-to-no involvement from Damon. I'm glad they weren't included in the primary track-list, otherwise the album would have been too long and convoluted.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 31 Oct 2020, 22:05

Rubi wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:10
Got around to listen to the bonus tracks. Way too experimental with little-to-no involvement from Damon. I'm glad they weren't included in the primary track-list, otherwise the album would have been too long and convoluted.
Damon does not have to be the main vocalist, or even a backing vocalist, for them to be his songs. Damon would still be the main contributor to those songs even without vocals.

As well as co-writing and co-producing every track here is his involvement on the album

Damon Albarn – vocals (1–16), bass (2–6, 8, 10, 13, 14), drum programming (2, 10, 16), keyboards (2–6, 8–10, 12–17), backing vocals (4), drums (4), guitar (4, 5, 7, 8, 10–14, 16, 17), percussion (4), synthesizer (4, 7), piano (5, 12), melodica (16, 17)

Ian_D

Post by Ian_D » 01 Nov 2020, 12:55

Caitlin wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:23
I don't know when it's meant to ship, but has anyone had the Super Deluxe Box arrive? Reckon it's worthwhile getting? I wasn't going to because I thought I was an adult who 'wasn't going to waste my money on stupid box sets' anymore, but I'm considering it now. :oops:
I had it arrive with the cd from the almanac sellotaped separately to the bottom of the box which I only spotted as I threw the box in the recycling! I haven’t listened to the 7” instrumentals yet (and the download code doesn’t work so no idea if you get a digital version of those like you did the extra tracks in the Humanz mega box) - I’d say it’s only worth it if the art in gorillaz means as much to you as the music as you get a handful of prints and a book containing the same pictures. In other words it’s about as cynical as the almanac pre-order thing and the half price sale after all the pre-orders were sent 1st week.

Anyone got any idea how the circle of friends works? I know I paid for it but I have had no emails etc...

rich

Post by rich » 01 Nov 2020, 15:12

I dunno why they always make these things so difficult :roll:

The download card which came with my SM vinyl deluxe had an obvious typo ('warenerartists' FFS), but after a bit of email correspondence with Warner Music customer service team I got the full 18 track download (yup, I got Taxi Back included too) - so worth getting this sorted :)

oh - and my circle of friends thing is working - I've signed up for the December livestream and a couple of days ago I got the presale code for next years gigs...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Ian_D

Post by Ian_D » 01 Nov 2020, 16:17

I didn't get any response from the customer support team about the download - it's not like it's stopping me listening to the music though. But the circle of friends benefit is kind of time sensitive since it was basically paying for pre-sale access to potential gigs that go on sale soon... so hopefully I will get a response about that.

But then I am wanting to go to that based on the first three Gorillaz albums really, I enjoyed the Human tour but haven't really returned to the album, or the Now Now, and I suspect that this Song Machine cycle will not be played much by me after 2020.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 01 Nov 2020, 17:22

idreamofpikas wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:05
Rubi wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:10
Damon does not have to be the main vocalist, or even a backing vocalist, for them to be his songs. Damon would still be the main contributor to those songs even without vocals.

As well as co-writing and co-producing every track here is his involvement on the album

Damon Albarn – vocals (1–16), bass (2–6, 8, 10, 13, 14), drum programming (2, 10, 16), keyboards (2–6, 8–10, 12–17), backing vocals (4), drums (4), guitar (4, 5, 7, 8, 10–14, 16, 17), percussion (4), synthesizer (4, 7), piano (5, 12), melodica (16, 17)
I was obviously referring to his vocal contributions. We all know these are all Damon songs.