Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

dougharrison

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by dougharrison » 14 Dec 2020, 16:49

dougharrison wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 09:52
rich wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 13:47
Sorry to hear guys. My experiences of online ordering have been good and bad :) :(

Like many here I ordered the Almanac + CD + circle of friends back in May when it was first announced. The circle thing has operated well - I've signed up for the live stream next month, and I nabbed O2 tickets last week - but I didn't get the CD as promised in the Almanac delay email...

My SM vinyl deluxe package came through as promised - plus it included a CD of the expanded set which immediately loaded into my PC for iTunes (I'm old school like that). I thought I'd also try the download code (we know that sometimes hardware and download versions differ slightly) but the code was nonsense (typos etc). After a bit of email exchange with customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com I got access to the full download plus, as an unexpected bonus, the Japan-only Taxi Back to 80s Reykjavik (one of my favourite SM tracks...)

I also ordered the orange vinyl SM online from Rough Trade and cycled over to RTW pick it up last week...

Give customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com a go - it worked very well for me in the end :)
Small update, I got a fairly generic reply from Push Management, who appear to deal with Gorillaz orders as of early September. Their email essentially read 'sorry guv, not our fault' but they say they have passed on my details to whoever was previously dealing with Gorillaz orders (as my order was a fair bit earlier). Have emailed Warner as per your advice Rich and I'll update if there's a resolution.

I don't mind at all if it's just a case of waiting because they haven't yet finished the Almanac and need to say it has posted for sales to count towards chart position or something like that, but with them claiming to have posted 3 weeks ago, I'm more concerned something is lost in the post...
Just a further update, Almanac arrived today - don't think the CD is there though (haven't opened the plastic sleeve)

rich

Post by rich » 14 Dec 2020, 17:10

dougharrison wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 16:49
dougharrison wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 09:52
rich wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 13:47
Sorry to hear guys. My experiences of online ordering have been good and bad :) :(

Like many here I ordered the Almanac + CD + circle of friends back in May when it was first announced. The circle thing has operated well - I've signed up for the live stream next month, and I nabbed O2 tickets last week - but I didn't get the CD as promised in the Almanac delay email...

My SM vinyl deluxe package came through as promised - plus it included a CD of the expanded set which immediately loaded into my PC for iTunes (I'm old school like that). I thought I'd also try the download code (we know that sometimes hardware and download versions differ slightly) but the code was nonsense (typos etc). After a bit of email exchange with customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com I got access to the full download plus, as an unexpected bonus, the Japan-only Taxi Back to 80s Reykjavik (one of my favourite SM tracks...)

I also ordered the orange vinyl SM online from Rough Trade and cycled over to RTW pick it up last week...

Give customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com a go - it worked very well for me in the end :)
Small update, I got a fairly generic reply from Push Management, who appear to deal with Gorillaz orders as of early September. Their email essentially read 'sorry guv, not our fault' but they say they have passed on my details to whoever was previously dealing with Gorillaz orders (as my order was a fair bit earlier). Have emailed Warner as per your advice Rich and I'll update if there's a resolution.

I don't mind at all if it's just a case of waiting because they haven't yet finished the Almanac and need to say it has posted for sales to count towards chart position or something like that, but with them claiming to have posted 3 weeks ago, I'm more concerned something is lost in the post...
Just a further update, Almanac arrived today - don't think the CD is there though (haven't opened the plastic sleeve)
My Almanac finally arrived a couple of days ago. The CD was in a thin card envelope wrapped separately in the same package - so make sure you haven't chucked it out :shock:
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 14 Dec 2020, 17:45

rich wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 17:10
dougharrison wrote:
My Almanac finally arrived a couple of days ago. The CD was in a thin card envelope wrapped separately in the same package - so make sure you haven't chucked it out :shock:
Thanks for the heads up, exactly the kind of thing I would be prone to do!

That said I can't see any signs of it, do you remember if it was inside the plastic sealed book part, or loosely in the card? It's hypothetically possible if it's the former it's somewhere inside the Almanac waiting to be discovered, but if so it is very well hidden! not inside either cover... Have sent an email to WMG.

rich

Post by rich » 14 Dec 2020, 18:05

dougharrison wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 17:45
rich wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 17:10
dougharrison wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, exactly the kind of thing I would be prone to do!

That said I can't see any signs of it, do you remember if it was inside the plastic sealed book part, or loosely in the card? It's hypothetically possible if it's the former it's somewhere inside the Almanac waiting to be discovered, but if so it is very well hidden! not inside either cover... Have sent an email to WMG.
Hi Doug! If I remember correctly the CD envelope was definitely on its own in the bundle, ie. not inside the clear plastic seal for the book, nor in the book itself. The CD is probably only for completists - just the first 11 tracks, in a card sleeve...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 14 Dec 2020, 18:33

rich wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 18:05
Hi Doug! If I remember correctly the CD envelope was definitely on its own in the bundle, ie. not inside the clear plastic seal for the book, nor in the book itself. The CD is probably only for completists - just the first 11 tracks, in a card sleeve...
Thanks for the clarification, that's roughly what I expected.

I have already got the deluxe copy of the album, and realised I don't even own a CD player at the moment, so it's not really a big loss to me. Although I am something of a completist - but have never gone for the super deluxe versions or anything like that

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 14 Dec 2020, 19:52

I'm still waiting for my Almanac but I got a CD separately a couple of weeks ago with this "we're so sorry Almanac is delayed" note.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 17 Dec 2020, 11:28

lumaka wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 19:52
I'm still waiting for my Almanac but I got a CD separately a couple of weeks ago with this "we're so sorry Almanac is delayed" note.
After months of waiting mine has finally arrived, got the Almanac and Delux set with tapes, booklet, vinyl etc :D

bugman

Post by bugman » 18 Dec 2020, 15:25

the last chord video premiere 24.12. 17:00 GBT time

the song is the finale track from SM part 1

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Dec 2020, 19:49

It hasn't made any lists because promotion and marketing (as always with Damon albums) has been shite.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 18 Dec 2020, 22:49

tom_cas1 wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 19:49
It hasn't made any lists because promotion and marketing (as always with Damon albums) has been shite.
Humanz was named Q's album of the year and made 18 on the NMEs list.

The Magic Whip was #15 for the NME, #10 for Rolling Stone and made the Stereogum top 50.

Even Merrieland (possibly the only one to be promoted in an even more underwhelming manner, my personal fave DA album of the past 10 years) was named album of the year by the Times.

Hell for that matter even the now now (which lets face it is an album of Dennis and half finished ideas) made GQ's top 50 list.

So I don't really agree that the marketing and promotion, which lets face it has dwarfed all of the above bar possibly Humanz, is the reason this hasn't been well received.

rich

Post by rich » 19 Dec 2020, 02:20

where can I get this album 'of Dennis' of which you speak?...

rich

Post by rich » 19 Dec 2020, 02:20

rich wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 02:20
:lol: :lol:

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 19 Dec 2020, 03:01

dougharrison wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 22:49

Even Merrieland (possibly the only one to be promoted in an even more underwhelming manner, my personal fave DA album of the past 10 years) was named album of the year by the Times.
Speaks of how important these lists are. Being the Times album of the year did next to nothing for Merrie land. It also featured in a host of other magazines best of the year lists as well as garnered rave reviews on its release.

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/album/A6109.htm

Sadly I don't think such lists have that much value anymore in terms of bringing in new listeners. I love Merrie Land, gave it a few listens again this week to see how well it holds up (it does), but its streaming numbers are dire.

dougharrison wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 22:49
So I don't really agree that the marketing and promotion, which lets face it has dwarfed all of the above bar possibly Humanz, is the reason this hasn't been well received.
I'm not sure that it has not been well-received, just that many publications have chosen to ignore it as an album. They reviewed, and seemed positive about the single releases, just many of them did not bother to review the album.

NME did actually review it, gave it 4 stars yet it was notable absent from their end of year, which was full of albums they had awarded 4 stars.

Aries did make their top singles of the year
28. Gorillaz – ‘Aries’ (feat. Georgia and Peter Hook)
Episode three of Gorillaz’s stellar ‘Song Machine’ series saw the cartoon band team up with dance-powerhouses Georgia and Peter Hook for what essentially sounded like the best track the latter’s former band New Order have released in ages. Driven by Hooky’s signature wandering bass, the elegiac ‘Aries’ came on like Damon Albarn’s love-letter to the Manchester group – right down to the nervy drum machine, plangent vocals and gnomic lyrics, hit the requisite mournful/euphoric sweet spot.
Given they call the project 'stellar it seems it was well-received.

I

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 19 Dec 2020, 06:53

rich wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 02:20
Sorry was supposed to say demos, yay for autocorrect

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 19 Dec 2020, 07:17

idreamofpikas wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 03:01

Speaks of how important these lists are. Being the Times album of the year did next to nothing for Merrie land. It also featured in a host of other magazines best of the year lists as well as garnered rave reviews on its release.

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/album/A6109.htm

Sadly I don't think such lists have that much value anymore in terms of bringing in new listeners. I love Merrie Land, gave it a few listens again this week to see how well it holds up (it does), but its streaming numbers are dire.
I think you're probably right here to be honest. I think most (including me) mostly look at these lists for validation for their own purchases, to see if there's anything they missed (in my case the new Fleet Foxes album) and to see if there's something universally loved they haven't tried (there are a few albums in most top 10s that I haven't heard yet.) Bigger picture I think it speaks more about the slow death of the written press and to a slightly lesser extent professional music journalism.

More a question of me being out of touch with the economics of music in 2020, but unless you have a mega mega hit, do streaming numbers pay decent money? I was of the impression it was a tiny percent of a penny per stream, but I know in general content providers can receive more via YouTube the more popular they are etc. I would have thought for most legacy acts the money is in touring/festivals these days?
idreamofpikas wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 03:01

I'm not sure that it has not been well-received, just that many publications have chosen to ignore it as an album. They reviewed, and seemed positive about the single releases, just many of them did not bother to review the album.

NME did actually review it, gave it 4 stars yet it was notable absent from their end of year, which was full of albums they had awarded 4 stars.

Aries did make their top singles of the year
28. Gorillaz – ‘Aries’ (feat. Georgia and Peter Hook)
Episode three of Gorillaz’s stellar ‘Song Machine’ series saw the cartoon band team up with dance-powerhouses Georgia and Peter Hook for what essentially sounded like the best track the latter’s former band New Order have released in ages. Driven by Hooky’s signature wandering bass, the elegiac ‘Aries’ came on like Damon Albarn’s love-letter to the Manchester group – right down to the nervy drum machine, plangent vocals and gnomic lyrics, hit the requisite mournful/euphoric sweet spot.
Given they call the project 'stellar it seems it was well-received.

I
I think 4* is pretty close to a default NME rating these days. 5* are few and far between, 2* are also incredibly rare now that they are desperate for every bit of support from the industry they can get, so in many cases it's a binary choice between 3 and 4. I would guess probably 200+ albums have got a 4* review.

Searching the word review on NME's site and the first page brought up only 4 music reviews, Kid Cudi, Paul McCartney, Channel Trees and Midas the Jagaban. Seemingly nothing to link the 4, different genres, different levels of fame, arguably different eras of peak fame, different releases an ep, mix tape and 2 albums. All 4 stars.

Given the album is essentially being treated as a singles compilation, that the best (in their opinion) single only got to 28 probably justifies the album not being top 50?

All things considered, given the probable 18/24 months of festival circuits, clear plans for a season 2 and big numbers for the live stream, I'm sure the band plus label consider SM1 to be a big success. For me it's a mixed bag, with some great moments and for a singles compilation, if that's how we are to judge it, a lot of filler, as an album it's something of a muddled affair if you want to look at it through that lens. Swap a lot of the bonus tracks in and to me at least you would have a far better album by either metric.