Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

idreamofpikas

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by idreamofpikas » 12 Nov 2020, 01:14

Rubi wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 23:04
My god, I'm in love with the bonus tracks. Perhaps Simplicity is the only track I don't care that much about, but even that has its moments.

The production and instrumentation on this album is amazing. And all the guest appearances are spot on. Damon's done it.
Simplicity is now my favourite of the bonus tracks (it was previously Opium) it has a very Think Tank vibe to it, but they are all great.

Rubi wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 19:06
Anyway, I don't agree that Song Machine hasn't been promoted properly. The campaign on Instagram and YouTube has been huge. Most artists don't even care for this much publicity.
I'd say the campaign getting it out to the dedicated fans has been pretty great, reaching a casual audience has been lacking. Someone mentioned that Aries could have been a Radio 2 hit, which I agree with. Songs like Aries, The Last Chord, Valley of the Pagans, Pink Phantom and Strange Timez I think are tracks that could have been promoted more to Radio 2 and other classic 80's/90's stations. Likewise none of the songs seem to be getting a Spotify push (Saturn Barz and Humility both did on popular playlists) or making a big enough splash on Youtube. Usually this is down to people behind the scenes not being able to push hard enough, but it may also be down to Damon hating promoting or the cartoon aspect of the band putting off certain parts of the music listening world.

Despite the great reviews and huge approval from the fans, both of which was lacking from Humanz, it does not seem to be spreading outside of its core audience. Which is a shame and a marketing problem.

It is still doing decently and I imagine come the tour we may seen an increased push on the album, but right now it is probably doing a little worse than it was expected.

Just to put this into perspective. Tranz, the 3rd single from the Now Now, has had 14.4 million streams on Youtube in 2020. Nothing from Song Machine has matched that this year.

stephen

Post by stephen » 12 Nov 2020, 09:29

idreamofpikas wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 01:14
Just to put this into perspective. Tranz, the 3rd single from the Now Now, has had 14.4 million streams on Youtube in 2020. Nothing from Song Machine has matched that this year.
What you smoking?

Momentary Bliss has 25m
Aries 16m
Pacman 13m

Sorry I thought you meant Spotify...the numbers are still pretty good :?

It takes the songs on Magic Whip 5 years to get to those numbers and when Gorillaz drops something it's a matter of days

John_d

Post by John_d » 12 Nov 2020, 09:55

idreamofpikas wrote:
Rubi wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 23:04
My god, I'm in love with the bonus tracks. Perhaps Simplicity is the only track I don't care that much about, but even that has its moments.

The production and instrumentation on this album is amazing. And all the guest appearances are spot on. Damon's done it.
Simplicity is now my favourite of the bonus tracks (it was previously Opium) it has a very Think Tank vibe to it, but they are all great.

Rubi wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 19:06
Anyway, I don't agree that Song Machine hasn't been promoted properly. The campaign on Instagram and YouTube has been huge. Most artists don't even care for this much publicity.
I'd say the campaign getting it out to the dedicated fans has been pretty great, reaching a casual audience has been lacking. Someone mentioned that Aries could have been a Radio 2 hit, which I agree with. Songs like Aries, The Last Chord, Valley of the Pagans, Pink Phantom and Strange Timez I think are tracks that could have been promoted more to Radio 2 and other classic 80's/90's stations. Likewise none of the songs seem to be getting a Spotify push (Saturn Barz and Humility both did on popular playlists) or making a big enough splash on Youtube. Usually this is down to people behind the scenes not being able to push hard enough, but it may also be down to Damon hating promoting or the cartoon aspect of the band putting off certain parts of the music listening world.

Despite the great reviews and huge approval from the fans, both of which was lacking from Humanz, it does not seem to be spreading outside of its core audience. Which is a shame and a marketing problem.

It is still doing decently and I imagine come the tour we may seen an increased push on the album, but right now it is probably doing a little worse than it was expected.

Aries was heavily played on BBC 6 Music. Brand-wise that's a much more sensible place for Gorillaz to be played than a Radio 2. Radio 2's demographic is probably what Gorillaz is desperately trying to avoid being aligned with. I don't know if they've been played much on Radio 1, as I am too old to listen to it :-) I would expect most of the Song Machine songs are too weird for commercial daytime radio - it seems to be dominated by Dua Lipa, Little Mix, Ed Sheeran etc. Gorillaz aren't going to break into that.

I would be really interested to see a list of the Top 10 Gorillaz songs ever on YouTube vs this year. Tranz and Humility have far higher viewing figures than I expected. Does anyone know how to access this info? I would assume the top ten songs ever are FGI, Clint Eastwood, On Melancholy Hill, DARE, Dirty Harry, Stylo, Saturn Barz, Tomorrow Comes Today, and errr El Manana OR 19-2000 OR Humility??

stephen

Post by stephen » 12 Nov 2020, 10:20

Not sure if the general public have access to stats per year but it's pretty easy to see overall ranking

Feel Good Inc - 440M
Clint Eastwood - 390M
DARE - 185M
Melancholy Hill - 167M
Dirty Harry - 111M
Style - 108M
Saturn Barz - 105M
19-2000 - 92M
Humility - 87M
Tomorrow Comes Today - 76M

https://www.youtube.com/c/Gorillaz/vide ... &flow=grid

John_d

Post by John_d » 12 Nov 2020, 11:13

stephen wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 10:20
Not sure if the general public have access to stats per year but it's pretty easy to see overall ranking

Feel Good Inc - 440M
Clint Eastwood - 390M
DARE - 185M
Melancholy Hill - 167M
Dirty Harry - 111M
Style - 108M
Saturn Barz - 105M
19-2000 - 92M
Humility - 87M
Tomorrow Comes Today - 76M

https://www.youtube.com/c/Gorillaz/vide ... &flow=grid
Ha ha ha I was almost correct! :lol: Humility is suprisingly popular. I really don't think it's of the calibre of the rest of the top 10 - maybe I'm in the minority. I thought Humanz would have used up all the "Gorillaz are back" kind of hype, but apparently not.

rich

Post by rich » 12 Nov 2020, 13:47

bugman wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 19:08
dougharrison wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 11:13
Has anybody still not received their order from the official store? I got an email on the 26th saying it has been despatched and not received anything, with an estimate of 1-3 days (being UK based).

Have tried emailing customer services twice now and only received token thank you for your email replies. Not had an issue using Gorillaz (or any other Blur related project) official sites before.
im still waiting for my deluxe cd....3 weeks.....
Sorry to hear guys. My experiences of online ordering have been good and bad :) :(

Like many here I ordered the Almanac + CD + circle of friends back in May when it was first announced. The circle thing has operated well - I've signed up for the live stream next month, and I nabbed O2 tickets last week - but I didn't get the CD as promised in the Almanac delay email...

My SM vinyl deluxe package came through as promised - plus it included a CD of the expanded set which immediately loaded into my PC for iTunes (I'm old school like that). I thought I'd also try the download code (we know that sometimes hardware and download versions differ slightly) but the code was nonsense (typos etc). After a bit of email exchange with customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com I got access to the full download plus, as an unexpected bonus, the Japan-only Taxi Back to 80s Reykjavik (one of my favourite SM tracks...)

I also ordered the orange vinyl SM online from Rough Trade and cycled over to RTW pick it up last week...

Give customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com a go - it worked very well for me in the end :)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 12 Nov 2020, 14:29

rich wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 13:47
Sorry to hear guys. My experiences of online ordering have been good and bad :) :(

Like many here I ordered the Almanac + CD + circle of friends back in May when it was first announced. The circle thing has operated well - I've signed up for the live stream next month, and I nabbed O2 tickets last week - but I didn't get the CD as promised in the Almanac delay email...

My SM vinyl deluxe package came through as promised - plus it included a CD of the expanded set which immediately loaded into my PC for iTunes (I'm old school like that). I thought I'd also try the download code (we know that sometimes hardware and download versions differ slightly) but the code was nonsense (typos etc). After a bit of email exchange with customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com I got access to the full download plus, as an unexpected bonus, the Japan-only Taxi Back to 80s Reykjavik (one of my favourite SM tracks...)

I also ordered the orange vinyl SM online from Rough Trade and cycled over to RTW pick it up last week...

Give customerserviceteam@wmgcustomerservice.com a go - it worked very well for me in the end :)
Thanks for that Rich, I'll give them a try over the weekend. I listened to taxi back for the first time earlier this morning and I really enjoyed it.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 12 Nov 2020, 15:04

idreamofpikas wrote:
It was Opium at first for me. Then With Love to an Ex (probably my favourite). Then MLS (such catchy, feel good melody). Now it's Severed Head (love the arrangements here). And How Far has always been great.

I also love the use of melodicas in MLS and How Far.
idreamofpikas wrote:

Eh, does it really matter in the end? What matters is the music. And to be honest I'm past the age when I was fixated with the cartoons and video clips.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 12 Nov 2020, 15:10

Damon Albarn hints at Gorillaz and Tame Impala collaboration for ‘Song Machine: Season Two

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/music/ ... wo-2801482

That'd be interesting.

stephen

Post by stephen » 12 Nov 2020, 15:33

I totally forgot about the rumours, wasn't we expecting a tame impala collaboration in season one?

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 12 Nov 2020, 16:20

Now a collaboration with Tame Impala I could definitely get excited about, not sure if it was pre-SM Stephen, but there was talk of it before for sure.

bugman

Post by bugman » 12 Nov 2020, 16:32

dougharrison wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 21:06
bugman wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 19:08

im still waiting for my deluxe cd....3 weeks.....
Did they say it had shipped already?
yes. 3 weeks ago (23.10.)

rich

Post by rich » 12 Nov 2020, 16:47

dougharrison wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 14:29
Thanks for that Rich, I'll give them a try over the weekend. I listened to taxi back for the first time earlier this morning and I really enjoyed it.
Your'e welcome mate! And Taxi Back is very blur isn't it - possibly one of the pieces that Damon had allegedly been stockpiling for the next blur album?

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 12 Nov 2020, 17:42

There were rumours about Tame Impala collaboration since this post (it's an official instagram account for Noodle). Damon mentioned Kevin Parker only two weeks ago in an interview with an Australian radio Double J.

In two recent interviews he also mentioned another rumoured collaboration, with David Bowie - it did not happen, Damon never asked him.

rich

Post by rich » 12 Nov 2020, 17:54

yeah I remember Bowie's 'people' saying get in touch when they saw the pic of one of the gorillaz (can't recall which one) in a rowing boat holding a pic of Hunky Dory - around PB time?

Such a shame it didn't happen...