Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 2007
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Rubi » 04 Oct 2020, 11:52

Alright, so it grew on me, as expected. Still unsure how I rate it among the other tracks, but one thing is certain: without Elton it would be half the song it is. Also, I'm still not keen on the 6lack verses. His inclusion was completely unnecessary.

jeffnottingham
Posts: 47
Joined: 04 Oct 2014, 20:42

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by jeffnottingham » 04 Oct 2020, 20:53

Some dude made a version without 6lack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqgviG0Iwc
It's my go to version now.

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 2007
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Rubi » 05 Oct 2020, 20:35

jeffnottingham wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 20:53
Some dude made a version without 6lack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqgviG0Iwc
It's my go to version now.
That blank space could have easily been filled with another 2-D verse. And we'd have a much better song.

vitekm
Posts: 259
Joined: 14 Feb 2016, 12:33
Location: Czech republic

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by vitekm » 05 Oct 2020, 21:14

hate to say that but all three parts are rather weak, uninspiring. Song Machine is going downhill in my opinion. MB, Desole, Aires - all great. But then? Nothing much to shout about.

northernmonkey
Posts: 334
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:59

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by northernmonkey » 06 Oct 2020, 06:49

After countless listens, this for me is a beautiful song, very hypnotic. And the video is fantastic, many of the Gorillaz video’s since Demon Days to me have been a bit weak in trying to carry on the bands identity with the music, almost like the music has outgrown the characters themselves but this is just a great pop video carrying plenty of emotion. I think The Song machine has restored much of what Gorillaz has lost after the release of Humanz and TNN, although I think TNN is a great piece of work, almost like a Damon solo album in places. Opinions may differ on the songs on the Song machine but can’t imagine the quality in music/video’s or variety being up to it if you tried to release seven episodes off Humanz over the year prior to the album release, it would have ran out of steam well before now.

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1607
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 06 Oct 2020, 14:03

jeffnottingham wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 20:53
Some dude made a version without 6lack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqgviG0Iwc
It's my go to version now.
This version is so much better.
His rap is ok but I felt like it just didn't fit the song.

The bass in this song reminded me of the one in Kansas. Does anyone else hear it or is it just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skKP6QwOXYA

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 2007
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Rubi » 06 Oct 2020, 20:41

vitekm wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 21:14
hate to say that but all three parts are rather weak, uninspiring. Song Machine is going downhill in my opinion. MB, Desole, Aires - all great. But then? Nothing much to shout about.
Pac-Man?

vitekm
Posts: 259
Joined: 14 Feb 2016, 12:33
Location: Czech republic

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by vitekm » 06 Oct 2020, 20:54

Rubi wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 20:41
vitekm wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 21:14
hate to say that but all three parts are rather weak, uninspiring. Song Machine is going downhill in my opinion. MB, Desole, Aires - all great. But then? Nothing much to shout about.
Pac-Man?
I quite like Damon part, but Schoolboy´s is just nondescript for me (dont get me wrong, I like rap parts in Gorillaz song), those two parts dont go together very well and that abrupt ending is just nightmare. If the song was longer (one more quite catchy Damon part), I would rate it a bit higher. But listening to Pac-Man is still party of my life compared to unspeakable boredom of Pink Phantom. Its maybe the worst thing Damon ever done. To have Elton on Gorillaz record and come up with this? Beyond my comprehension.

User avatar
Veikko
Site Admin
Posts: 748
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 19:44
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Veikko » 06 Oct 2020, 21:33

I think The Pink Phantom lacks a bit after the second chorus, but the way the song builds up is just great and original. The beginning of the instrumental break is just an eargasm. :) I think one needs to hear the whole song to appreciate its parts.

vitekm
Posts: 259
Joined: 14 Feb 2016, 12:33
Location: Czech republic

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by vitekm » 06 Oct 2020, 21:40

I did, Veikko :-) Several times. But you know me as old enthusiast, so I´m allowed to bitch about for once :-)

User avatar
lumaka
Posts: 527
Joined: 03 Oct 2016, 11:38
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by lumaka » 07 Oct 2020, 09:20

Here's a new very loooong interview with Damon and Jamie.

:mrgreen:

Image

semi
Posts: 67
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 14:58

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by semi » 07 Oct 2020, 16:03

lumaka wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 09:20
Here's a new very loooong interview with Damon and Jamie.

:mrgreen:

"Liam is an idiot". Damon 25 years after Britpop battle.

User avatar
rich
Posts: 1040
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by rich » 07 Oct 2020, 17:23

semi wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 16:03
lumaka wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 09:20
Here's a new very loooong interview with Damon and Jamie.:mrgreen:
"Liam is an idiot". Damon 25 years after Britpop battle.
You're quoting a bit out of context - he also went on to say "I love Liam, I would be more than happy to do a song with him, but I’m not the one who is going to reach out to him. I’m just trying not to be negative when answering your question."
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 2007
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Rubi » 09 Oct 2020, 23:28

vitekm wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 20:54
Rubi wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 20:41
vitekm wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 21:14
hate to say that but all three parts are rather weak, uninspiring. Song Machine is going downhill in my opinion. MB, Desole, Aires - all great. But then? Nothing much to shout about.
Pac-Man?
I quite like Damon part, but Schoolboy´s is just nondescript for me (dont get me wrong, I like rap parts in Gorillaz song), those two parts dont go together very well and that abrupt ending is just nightmare. If the song was longer (one more quite catchy Damon part), I would rate it a bit higher. But listening to Pac-Man is still party of my life compared to unspeakable boredom of Pink Phantom. Its maybe the worst thing Damon ever done. To have Elton on Gorillaz record and come up with this? Beyond my comprehension.
To each their own. I think ScHoolboy Q delivers some of the best rap verses in any Gorillaz song there.

Going to back to The Pink Phantom, the song has grown on me even more, to the point that I don't even mind 6lack's verses anymore. Song Machine might not have delivered any chart-toping hits, but at least it has maintained an overall high quality of the material it has released thus far. And Aries has made it into my Gorillaz top 10 songs anyway.

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1465
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by aldamasta » 11 Oct 2020, 14:52

6lack's verses have grown on me as well. I was never totally against his parts, I just felt his introduction was a bit too abrupt. But I love how Damon, 6lack, and Elton all mesh toward the end of the song. While some Song Machine tracks have been instant hits for me (MB, Aries, Pac-Man) each song has grown on me in some way. Friday 13 is one of my top songs now despite me almost writing it off upon its release.

It's amazing all that Song Machine has done for Gorillaz. It has given Damon a way to be the scatterbrained workaholic he is while giving Jamie more space for some of the best Gorillaz art and videos ever. It has completely rethought the way an album should be released which worked shockingly well, especially in this shit year where the next Song Machine track was the only event I was actively looking forward to at times. It has restored Gorillaz reputation for old and new fans alike, as it has received near universal praise and is already being discussed as an album of the year. It has found a wonderful balance between Damon and guest contributions that was absent from both Humanz and TNN, and many of the guests have been "bucket list" Gorillaz collaborators. And somehow, despite this being quite different in many ways from past Gorillaz releases, this is the most authentically Gorillaz release in years, to my ears. Onward to Oct 23 and to the upcoming Valley of the Paganz video...!

Post Reply