Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MsMagicAmerica

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 29 Aug 2020, 00:23

I can 't tell if I really like the song with Beck because it's good or because it's the only thing that I have liked from the Song Machine releases.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 04 Sep 2020, 17:35

aldamasta wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 00:33
According to someone on the Gorillaz subreddit the new song is “Strange Timez” feat. Robert Smith!
Interesting. Is there a release date yet?

bugman

Post by bugman » 04 Sep 2020, 19:17

soon

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 08 Sep 2020, 21:26

Sounds catchy and I like how Robert sounds based on the trailer! https://youtu.be/Hb6itWsCL1Q
debuts tomorrow!

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Sep 2020, 08:04

aldamasta wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 21:26
Sounds catchy and I like how Robert sounds based on the trailer! https://youtu.be/Hb6itWsCL1Q
debuts tomorrow!
Nice!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 09 Sep 2020, 08:07

Today at 4 PM Damon and Robert Smith will chat to Steve Lamacq on BBC Radio 6.

+ the Song Machine Season One tracklist just leaked - I think they were to announce it later today but it's been already revealed by record stores. WTF Gorillaz, leak after leak spoiling every surprise, it's not fun :roll:
https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/190295192167

1. Strange Timez (feat. Robert Smith)
2. The Valley of The Pagans (feat. Beck)
3. The Lost Chord (feat. Leee John)
4. Pac-Man (feat. Schoolboy Q)
5. Chalk Tablet Towers (feat. St Vincent)
6. The Pink Phantom (feat. Elton John and 6LACK)
7. Aries (feat. Peter Hook and Georgia)
8. Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
9. Dead Butterflies (feat. Kano and Rosani Arias)
10. Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara) [Extended Version]
11. Momentary Bliss (feat. Slowthai and Slaves)

deluxe tracks
12. Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)
13. Simplicity (feat. Joan As Police Woman)
14. Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
15. With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)
16. MLS (feat. JPEGMAFIA and CHAI)
17. How Far? (feat. Tony Allen and Skepta)

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Sep 2020, 14:07

Dang, was not expected to see so many tracks that we haven't heard yet. Does this mean that song machine hasn't worked out how they expected?

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Sep 2020, 16:22

bloody hell this is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbA5p54Rw2M

Possibly a new favourite tune

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Sep 2020, 16:56

Really great song, Robert Smith is great on this and works really well alongside Damon’s vocals. Just listened to an alternative version on Apple Music too, even more of a dance vibe.

John_d

Post by John_d » 10 Sep 2020, 08:49

The yardstick for this Roert Smith tune was (in my head) "Not In Love", that Robert did in 2010 with Crystal Castles. I think this one falls well short of that! I liked the interview on 6 Music as they both sound like eccentric old cool guys. Fair play to Jamie with the visuals, they are consideraly better and more memorable than the music.

It feels to me like Song Machine has been a way of stretching out hype for as long as possible compared to a normal album release - and also starting the hype earlier (before the full thing is finished). To peak with the biggest name collaboraton (Elton John) in October. Pretty clever.

rich

Post by rich » 10 Sep 2020, 10:08

Anyone else a bit confused about the zillion album format/configurations available?!

And there's also the almanac + CD out in a couple of weeks...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

JackS

Post by JackS » 10 Sep 2020, 12:17

There are a LOT of options! All the extra bundles, t-shirts, this Circle of Friendz pass, does make it quite complicated.

The cassette options are bizarre, are they trying to make cassette the new vinyl?

I ended up going for the Deluxe Vinyl as it seemed the best value (along with the Strange Timez print as it's a great bit of art). Was half tempted by the Super Deluxe for the 7" singles but the price is just too much

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 10 Sep 2020, 13:30

It's v interesting from a pop culture point of view.
Smith was a huge global icon of the indie world in the 80s, and Albarn was a similar figure in the 90s.
I don't remember Smith ever saying anything complimentary about Blur though, and maybe even slagged them off a bit.
This new song? Underwhelming is the N Zeal verdict!

JackS

Post by JackS » 10 Sep 2020, 13:44

There is an absolutely great post on Reddit where someone has worked out all the various editions / versions. I didn't realise there were so many exclusive coloured editions, or that the cassettes each have a different tracklisting (!)

It is further complicated by the bundles, as well as the Almanac bundles which each come with a CD.
I noticed that there was a wide array of Song Machine Season One: Strange Timez physical editions available for purchase, including many options that some fans of the band may have trouble finding. I have written a guide that details the features, costs, and availability of each product, as well as where to find them. It only deals with physical editions of music and not other merchandise available, like t-shirts or sticker packs. Enjoy.
All prices are in USD; amounts may vary based on distributor.

Before we begin, I have organized a list of the tracklistings that appear on each edition for ease of reading:

Tracklisting
Standard
The standard tracklisting is as follows:
Strange Timez (feat. Robert Smith)
The Valley of The Pagans (feat. Beck)
The Lost Chord (feat. Leee John)
Pac-Man (feat. ScHoolboy Q)
Chalk Tablet Towers (feat. St Vincent)
The Pink Phantom (feat. Elton John and 6LACK)
Aries (feat. Peter Hook and Georgia)
Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
Dead Butterflies (feat. Kano and Roxani Arias)
Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara) [Extended Version]
Momentary Bliss (feat. Slowthai and Slaves)

Deluxe
The deluxe tracklisting is as follows:
All songs available on the standard tracklisting, as well as
Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)
Simplicity (feat. Joan As Police Woman)
Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)
MLS (feat. JPEGMAFIA and CHAI)
How Far? (feat. Tony Allen and Skepta)

Cassette
Each character-branded version of the Strange Timez Cassette (available from the Gorillaz webstore) features a different tracklisting:

Song Machine made by 2D from Gorillaz Mix:
Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara)

Mud'z Massive Machine Mix:
Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)

The Machine Is On!! A Song Machine Mix by Noodle:
With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)

Russel Hobbs presents a flamin' hot Song Machine Mix:
Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)

CD

There are two versions of CDs available for purchase:

Song Machine Season One CD: A CD version of "Strange Timez," featuring the standard tracklist. Also may come with the Almanac (product description does not specify which edition the Almanac is shipped with, or if it changes based on book purchased). $13.98

Song Machine Season One Deluxe CD: A CD version of "Strange Timez," featuring the deluxe tracklist. Comes with the Deluxe and Super Deluxe vinyl editions. $18.98

Vinyl

There are four different full-size vinyl available, in a number of different formats and editions. Additonally, in the Super Deluxe package each song on the standard tracklisting comes with its own 7-inch record, with an instrumental version on the B-side.

Song Machine Season One Standard Vinyl: This edition is a single disc set with the standard tracklisting, on regular black material. $21.98

Song Machine Season One Deluxe Vinyl : This edition has two records, one with the standard tracklisting and another with the additional tracks provided by the deluxe. It also arrives with a Deluxe CD, a 20 page 12" hardcover art book, a download card for the deluxe version, 3 12" art prints, and a single 12" label copy sheet. $79.98

Note: there is also a deluxe version available from many the Record Store Day site and possible independent webstores as well that features the double LP with none of the extra trappings. This standalone version is $29.98.

Song Machine Season One Super Deluxe Vinyl: The super deluxe box set is housed in a lift-off lidded box. Inside, there is everything included with the Deluxe edition, along with a crank-handle music box that plays the Song Machine Theme Tune, 11 7-inch records (one for each song on the standard version, and their instrumentals), and 11 12" art prints. $249.98

Song Machine Season One Indie Record Store Exclusive: The indie record store exclusive is only available from independent record stores and is limited in stock. It is the standard version, printed on a neon orange vinyl. I have included a version from the first search result that came up so you can see for yourself, but I ask that you support your local record store(s) and buy from there instead if possible. $21.98

Song Machine Season One Amazon Exclusive: Apparently only available on the U.K. Amazon store. The standard tracklisting, printed on curacao blue. 19.99 GBP

Song Machine Season One (Vinyl Me, Please Exclusive): The standard vinyl, but printed on recycled purple material. Stock is limited to 2500 copies. This is the hardest-to-get and most exclusive version as it is a Members-Only release. VMP membership costs $33 per month, while this album costs an additional $31 on top of it (think Disney Plus + Mulan). Technically $31, but in reality $64.

Cassette

Each animated band member of Gorillaz has their own cassette tape, the titles and tracklists of which are listed above. The cassette tape packaging aligns with the "colors" commonly assigned to each character, meaning Noodle's cassete is sky blue, Murdoc's pale green, 2D's light red, and Russel's a medium orange. They are adorned with printed icons meant to represent the characters (Noodle has a katsu, Russel has a ghost, etc. All tapes also have Bonesy, the letter "A," and the Song Machine logo). Noodle's labels are in Japanese characters. All cassettes are $9.98.

Song Machine made by 2D from Gorillaz Mix
Mud'z Massive Machine Mix
The Machine Is On!! A Song Machine Mix by Noodle
Russel Hobbs presents a flamin' hot Song Machine Mix

Circle of Friendz Pass

The Circle of Friendz Pass is $3 and gives owners early access to merchandise released by Gorillaz, first access to "Circle of Friendz tickets," (a series of Gorillaz live concerts on December 12 and 13), and an unspecified " and more."

That concludes this catalog of the music-based merchandising currently available from the Gorillaz webstore and associated sites. Thank you for reading and I hope this helped. Choose Pazuzu!