Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

aldamasta

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by aldamasta » 22 Jul 2020, 22:14

jeffnottingham wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 16:09
aldamasta wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 14:18
How Far? might be tweaked a bit by October's CD release, so it may grow ever more. Skepta's catchy on it, but it's alllll about that Tony Allen beat for me (RIP to the legend, and happy 80th bday!) Alright, enough Song Machine rambling for now... till September! ;)
Do you think How Far will be on the album? I have it in my tracklist of 6 so far, but my understanding was that it was extra to, rather than part of, Song Machine...
If they stick to the 10 song tracklist that they announced for the CD with the almanac, due out in October, I assume How Far? will be on the CD. Since Song Machine isn’t returning till September, I don’t see how they’ll fit in five more tracks in two months. I’m struggling to see how they will even release four songs in two months since the videos are so quality and demand so much time. But perhaps that’s why Song Machine won’t return until September anyways... though Damon’s holiday month is always August.

My only hope is that one of the ten tracks for the Song Machine Season One album is not the Song Machine theme song... Damon & Jamie have been on fire lately and I want as much from them as possible in my pre-order! :)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 24 Jul 2020, 01:36

Just found this instrumental of Friday 13th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBjZxRMT5cE
Not sure if it’s official or just a well made fan instrumental, but it’s really nice. The song continues to grow and grow on me. At first I didn’t care much for Octavian’s vocals, but I’m starting to appreciate them, and likewise Damon’s simple lyrics and melody are becoming more beautiful to me. But without a doubt the highlight of the song is the beautiful instrumental, perhaps one of my favorite pieces Gorillaz have done.

John_d

Post by John_d » 25 Jul 2020, 08:02

rich wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 13:51
I see Damon's resin owl makes an appearance at 1:37 8-)

We first saw this ahead of his 2015 solo tour - I think the plan was for it to sit on his piano, but I'm not sure it ever did. Perhaps it didn't want to go out on tour?

Nice vocals by the way - I've always liked Damon's world weary delivery...
The Owl also blasts lasers from his eyes in the Momentary Bliss video. Jamie seems to like it :lol: . I REALLY like the "doodling" kind of effects on both of these videos. I think Friday 13th is a lovely tune. Huge grower. Pac Man is great. Will be very interesting to see what setlists end up looking like in 2021. Will a touring rapper be up for taking on some of these collaborations?

semi

Post by semi » 28 Jul 2020, 21:59

I think Gorillaz is not for me anymore, I'm not impressed with these songs. I have enjoyed some tracks on The Now Now, but I don't like this Damon's project since Plastic Beach. To be honest, the only album I really liked it since PB have been The Magic Whip.

stephen

Post by stephen » 29 Jul 2020, 07:39

semi wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 21:59
I think Gorillaz is not for me anymore, I'm not impressed with these songs. I have enjoyed some tracks on The Now Now, but I don't like this Damon's project since Plastic Beach. To be honest, the only album I really liked it since PB have been The Magic Whip.
You could even go back one further and say Demon Days was probably the last quality album Damon Albarn was involved in that met the high expectations. Maybe that level of work consistently is unrealistic (gorillaz being 20 years old) and we are being a bit harsh, there's parts of humanz and now now that I really like but they don't come close. I don't think we'll ever get anything better than Demon Days from Gorillaz and maybe even Albarn

semi

Post by semi » 29 Jul 2020, 09:41

I wasn't that big fan of DD. I liked the singles and Last Living Souls, but I always enjoyed more the self titled (To me, this album and G-sides were the real Gorillaz) and PB (which is a good album).

rich

Post by rich » 29 Jul 2020, 10:53

I'm liking all the new stuff but as I've said before my favourite gorillaz album remains the spacemonkeyz remix - I've recently been able to get hold of it in 2 x vinyl and it sounds awesome!
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 31 Jul 2020, 21:00

stephen wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 07:39
semi wrote:
You could even go back one further and say Demon Days was probably the last quality album Damon Albarn was involved in that met the high expectations. Maybe that level of work consistently is unrealistic (gorillaz being 20 years old) and we are being a bit harsh, there's parts of humanz and now now that I really like but they don't come close. I don't think we'll ever get anything better than Demon Days from Gorillaz and maybe even Albarn
In terms of popularity, yes, Damon hasn't produced anything that far reaching anymore. But in terms of sheer quality, I think Plastic Beach is the best Gorillaz album he's ever made.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 01 Aug 2020, 10:21

Rubi wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 21:00
stephen wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 07:39
semi wrote:
In terms of popularity, yes, Damon hasn't produced anything that far reaching anymore. But in terms of sheer quality, I think Plastic Beach is the best Gorillaz album he's ever made.
I like the new stuff but it's a bit throwaway for me.
Have to agree that Demon Days is Damon's masterpiece....though Merrie Land is pretty much up there with DD.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

bugman

Post by bugman » 03 Aug 2020, 15:20

unreleased track with BECK just leaked!!!
https://archive.org/details/gorillaz-ft ... ased-track

stephen

Post by stephen » 03 Aug 2020, 15:27

bugman wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 15:20
Can see why it didn't get released the vocal swapping sounds pretty bad

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 03 Aug 2020, 17:24

stephen wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 15:27
bugman wrote:
Lots of people saying it's fake - what do we think?

The opening lines flow very similarly to Feel Good Inc, and 'feels so good' is even referenced in the lyrics. Then there are parts that sound a bit like Momentary Bliss: (It's so convincing, but something's missing...)

I love the song, I want it to be real, but especially the line above makes me really wonder if we're all being trolled by the audio equivalent of deep fakes... likely?

rich

Post by rich » 03 Aug 2020, 17:31

Pretty bad? Sounds OK to my ancient ears - mind you, they've never been the same since I saw the New York Dolls at Koko. Rock'n'roll man...

Could this aslo perhaps have been from the Do Ya Thing era (2012)?
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

stephen

Post by stephen » 04 Aug 2020, 08:04

jeffnottingham wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 17:24
stephen wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 15:27
bugman wrote:
Lots of people saying it's fake - what do we think?

The opening lines flow very similarly to Feel Good Inc, and 'feels so good' is even referenced in the lyrics. Then there are parts that sound a bit like Momentary Bliss: (It's so convincing, but something's missing...)

I love the song, I want it to be real, but especially the line above makes me really wonder if we're all being trolled by the audio equivalent of deep fakes... likely?
I know nothing about production but I know what my ears hear and that's something that doesn't seemed polished in the same way that wiliam orbits version of the westway sounds. Two tracks cut and pasted together?

stephen

Post by stephen » 04 Aug 2020, 09:40

Little bit slow but just realised the song machine theme tune is a complete knock off of the rainbow intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfqJkOVrY2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6KxYyJPees