Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Rubi » 09 Apr 2020, 18:29

The more I listen to it, the more New Order vibes I get from it.

rich

Post by rich » 09 Apr 2020, 18:33

yup - good to hear Hooky :)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

semi

Post by semi » 09 Apr 2020, 18:45

I'm not enjoying too much these new songs tbh.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Apr 2020, 19:34

It is growing on me, a lot less in your face than the other 2 songs, very laid back but I agree about the New Order vibe, very catchy.

John_d

Post by John_d » 09 Apr 2020, 19:59

Aries strays much too far into New Order pastiche territory for me. Lake Zurich possibly uses the same synthesizer, but was a lot better. Georgia apparently plays drums on Aries. I saw her on Jools a few months ago and it looked very style over substance. She was surrounded by a heap of equipment but played a very bland electropop song with possibly mimed vocals and a 4/4 beat. Always pleasant to hear Peter Hook, though having read both his book and Barney Sumner's book - I'm on Barney's side. For anyone unfamiliar - enjoy the magnificent Age of Consent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahU-x-4Gxw

It may be that Momentary Bliss turns out to be the pick of the Song Machine bunch.

John_d

Post by John_d » 09 Apr 2020, 20:04

dougharrison wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 19:02
Rubi wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 19:13
I think The Now Now got a lot of uncalled shtick. It was obviously something in the line of The Fall. That being said, I think it could have been better produced. For instance, Tranz is a fantastic song that suffers a lot from very minimalistic production. Take the live version, it has so much energy, an entirely different animal.
Personally I think The Now Now only exists because Humanz didn't sell very well and the number 1 complaint was that there wasn't enough Damon.

I agree with the idea it actually belongs in a family stretching back to Democrazy, and includes The Fall, its essentially a compilation of ideas for songs that would be fantastic should Damon one day finish them, but IMHO he felt under pressure to complete them and get them out there ASAP. If it's to be considered a finished album, rather than WIP, which is certainly how it was presented, then it's mostly filler.
I'm pretty sure The Now Now exists because: i) there were a load of festival gigs planned in 2018 potentially for a setlist they had already flogged in 2017; and ii) Damon and Jamie wanted to wrap up the EMI record deal. Pretty cool wee album I think. Off the top of my head Humility, Tranz, Lake Zurich, Magic City, Souk Eye, all great tunes. Production was nice. I don't think Tranz needed punked-up.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 09 Apr 2020, 20:26

Jesus its like Blur never happened, as a talented Damon once said

"Thoughts are just pissing away (in so much trouble)"

RIP

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 09 Apr 2020, 22:28

John_d wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 20:04
dougharrison wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 19:02
Rubi wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 19:13
I think The Now Now got a lot of uncalled shtick. It was obviously something in the line of The Fall. That being said, I think it could have been better produced. For instance, Tranz is a fantastic song that suffers a lot from very minimalistic production. Take the live version, it has so much energy, an entirely different animal.
Personally I think The Now Now only exists because Humanz didn't sell very well and the number 1 complaint was that there wasn't enough Damon.

I agree with the idea it actually belongs in a family stretching back to Democrazy, and includes The Fall, its essentially a compilation of ideas for songs that would be fantastic should Damon one day finish them, but IMHO he felt under pressure to complete them and get them out there ASAP. If it's to be considered a finished album, rather than WIP, which is certainly how it was presented, then it's mostly filler.
I'm pretty sure The Now Now exists because: i) there were a load of festival gigs planned in 2018 potentially for a setlist they had already flogged in 2017; and ii) Damon and Jamie wanted to wrap up the EMI record deal. Pretty cool wee album I think. Off the top of my head Humility, Tranz, Lake Zurich, Magic City, Souk Eye, all great tunes. Production was nice. I don't think Tranz needed punked-up.
The Now Now is an underrated Gorillaz classic! Sure, it lacks some guest spots, but it is just loaded with great Damon songs...best Gorillaz since the epic Plastic Beach.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 09 Apr 2020, 22:51

blurop4 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 22:28
best Gorillaz since the epic Plastic Beach.
That's not saying much. Humans was OK, The Fall is barely an album.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 09 Apr 2020, 23:47

Haven't posted on here in years but returning to say how impressed I am with this, certainly my favourite gorillaz song in 10 years. Hearing damon over a Peter hook bassline is a dream.

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Apr 2020, 11:44

Not for me, too bland I was enjoying the dancer direction Gorillaz were taking.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 10 Apr 2020, 12:20

Pasta wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 23:47
Hearing damon over a Peter hook bassline is a dream.
Indeed. New Order are one of my favourite bands of all time, having Hook and Damon collaborating for Gorillaz is fantastic.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 11 Apr 2020, 00:54

Thought it pretty bland on the first two listens (possibly because the sample really lifted expectations), a real drop in quality from Desole but it is such an earworm that now it has overtaken Momentary Bliss as the second best of the three. Songs like this suffer from being singles, as album listening usually allows people to give them more chance rather than dismissing after a few listens.

Is there another songwriter who does melancholy better than Damon?

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 12 Apr 2020, 11:22

Completes all my New Order/Gorillaz dreams. Someone's going to do a fantastic dance remix of this that absolutely slaps. Definitely one of my favourite Gorillaz things in a while.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Apr 2020, 02:16

I can see why people think it is a bit too New Order, but I love the combination. I don't think it falls too heavily on a New Order sound, instead it feels like the perfect mix of Gorillaz and New Order. Damon sounds like Damon in this tune, not like he's trying to be Bernard Sumner. His line in the chorus "and it feels like i'm falling in... again" is so beautiful, and quintessential Damon. But with a Hook bassline, it's always going to sound a bit New Order. As Fantano said, it's a lot better than any recent stuff by New Order though...

This is probably my favorite song from Song Machine thus far. This has turned out to be one of the most brilliant projects Damon and Jamie have done, and it's proving to be incredibly fruitful. Makes quarantine a lot more fun! 3/3 for Song Machine -- onto the next!